Updated

Just signed up for iRacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally took the plunge. I just signed up for a three month trial of iRacing. I figure if I don't like it I am only out 30 dollars. I'm really not sure if I will race online or not, but is there anything other than clean racing? I'd like to know please.

Last edited by a moderator:

JF2

SRD Member
Reaction score
Just be clean and respectful. If you are looking for a league, ASRS (American Sim Racing Series - Home) just started a Street Stock series using the base content tracks. Fixed setups. Check it out, great place to learn and have a good time!

lays

SRD Member
Reaction score
Welcome to iRacing! You mainly just need to be courteous and patient. Worry about winning when you get to the trucks. By then, you should have enough skill and know how to deal with the other drivers on iRacing. Just survive and eventually you'll have a chance to win.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
You know what is funny. The only oval I have driven on was the charlotte legend. That was with the legend car. I have been jumping from the tye caddy mx5 and scca car. Today I bought the last gen indy car just for fun. The road racing feels like driving a real car around the turns.
I still would like to get the feel of physics before I jump in to any race. Just as I think i am getting the feel of them. It seems all hell breaks lose.
Thanks guys for the info. Also I dont know if it me or not. But the indy car seems slow. Is that normal. I do not mean in the turns. I mean coming up to speed.

The Captain

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I signed up a few days ago and have already jumped in a few races. The street stocks can be a lot of fun.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well to night I had my first real practice. I was at the bottom of the charts. But you know what I was only a few seconds off the pace. I gave the fasters cars plenty off room. Imade sure a gave them the racing line. Other then droping a wheel from time to time. Then just kissing the wall once I did very good. I didnt spin out or crash likr every one else was.

lays

SRD Member
Reaction score
Just keep practicing. Then practice some more. When you think you're good enough to race.. Practice again. Try to maintain consistent laps.

Reaction score
If I could offer some advise that might be of benefit. As it pertains to iRacing, it is very important to know exactly what you want to achieve. Meaning, do you want to find good clean racing no matter the car, are you in love with a specific car/and/or series and only want to race that, do you have pro driving aspirations or are you just looking to have some fun with no real competitive pressure? Obviously there are more goals, these are just some examples.

By identifying your objective early you can get on a direct path there and hopefully avoid any of the negative situations one can get into with any type of multi player online racing. There are bad, good & great official races that happen every day. Let me share a bit of anecdotal experience before I get specific.

I have been focusing my online racing at iRacing since 2010 but have been on the service since late 2008. After some big business moves, I started with a fresh account due to moving back to my home state of NY. So, I have some experience with most of the major iRacing phases.

When starting out as a rookie in 2010 after not racing online or offline for almost a year, I decided to take advantage of the fast track program. It allows you basically to go from rookie to class A Oval license in about 4-6 weeks time with minimal track time. This has its pro's & con's but the bottom line no matter the path up the license ladder there is a price & it must be paid. I have now had my A license for more than a year & have experience foolishness in every license class. League racing is about the only way to guarantee "control" over that. Having extensive experience oval racing in the real world I don't feel iRacing is any different than what I have seen dumb people do on the real race track.

But I digress, my fast track path has left some holes in my skill set, especially when I get into a higher split. The series that I have focused on though it's different. The fast track system allows you to get a minimum number of races or time trials done to qualify for promotion, then if you race the lower classes & ride around avoiding incidents you can jump a license class in a weekend of racing. As I progressed I skipped some quality time in some of the time learning the lower licensed cars & I can tell you from my experience that the lower licensed cars teach you a lot about what you will encounter as you climb the ladder.

The slow route truly takes time, but it makes you a better racer, & it makes you better driver. One of the winning-est drivers I know once told me, anyone can drive fast or lay down a smoking lap, but it takes a racer to race. I believe them to be two different disciplines, so I have gone back to the lower licenses and have been focusing on those this season. Some of the best racing I have found ever is in the non winged sprint car & the silver crown car! The group who race them are smaller so you get to know everyone quickly & the challenge to be fast in them dictate the fast guys race each other, the mid pack guys follow the fast guys while focusing on running clean & the slow guys work on control & staying out of the way. The sprint car in & of itself is so challenging no one is even going to jump in there with out at least being able to run decent lap times. These cars teach you so much about throttle control its not even funny, I know my real world racing has been positively effected because of the sprint car.

On the road side, I decided to take the regular route & have seen a real solid foundation beginning to form while I have been at the C level for almost 8 months. The fast route is not bad, so please don't think that-remember knowing what you want before you begin your career in the service is critical. The fast route is helpful if your a NASCAR fan & only want to race a cup car or a truck, something in the higher classes & that is your main focus. That being said, some of your best racing can come from the first level class D in the top splits. Yes even better than the class A top splits. This of course is not the rule because a lot of it comes down to luck, and being able to identify the meat head driver early so you can avoid him or even relinquish a position because you expect him to go for that dive bomb & take you both out.

I have raced NR2003, I own every console racing game I know of, I have run dirt on Rfactor for several years, I race in the real world and with all of that experience, iRacing is my go to especially inviting someone new to the world of sim racing. The ease of start up just makes it a no brainier for me in that regard. I love running dirt on rFactor & I love the ability to race just about 24/7 on iRacing.

I hope I have compelled you to take a moment & decide what you want from your iracing experience. A lot of the guys wrecking in practice are trying to find the edge, or they are trying adjustments. They appreciate seeing and getting to know you in practice sessions before an official race. This is also where they are most likely to be helpful with set ups, line etc. I have had more people share set ups in these practice sessions than any where else. I have also had them take my set up, run some laps & either make adjustments or recommend adjustments. The single test sessions are helpful but you will learn more & connect more by running in the official practices....Remember the meat head I referenced? Odds are if he does practice, then he will show himself to anyone who is watching however the ones that jump in with out ever turning a lap will only show up in an official race. Look for guys who qualify very poorly or not at all. Not every one who has not qualified is a meat head, its just something to watch for.

Either way good luck, and maybe I will see you on the track!

EW

Reaction score
P.S I have found the minimum number of laps in a new car or at a new track before a race is about 300-500 per track depending on your comfort, some tracks just need more time, and at a least 80%-90% depending on your definition of the edge . This does not have to be all in official practice. I do about 150-200 laps in 10, 25 & 50 lap increments in private testing. I get to adjust the set up to my liking, then I get to see how the car is through an entire fuel run. Some cars change drastically on low fuel, and I have won several races being able to have a car that I can handle for the last 10 laps of a race on low fuel. Once I get my comfort level & my understanding of how the car reacts to the set up changes I understand, then I go run at least 100-200 laps in official practice mostly in 25-50 lap segments, simulating fuel runs & measuring how I stack up against the others. This also gets me comfortable following the leaders, running with guys my speed & avoiding or identifying the meatballs.

Hops this helps!

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
You know what I am really not sure what way I will go. Since I just got the three months I am just playing around. If I make a choice on were I will go. I would chose the road race side. I just like it better.

I am very good on road courses. I play gtr2 and r factor a lot. I have never had a problem running good even laps. I have that problem on ovals though. In oval racing it is hard for me to stay comptive. In road racing even against the comptuter. If I am not leading I am only a second or two back.

As for real racing I can dream. But I think that has passed me. I am 26 years old and no formal real road racing. I am to old and not enough real life experience. Other then track days and auto cross I have nothing. But if a racing team called and wanted me for one year minium. I would take it. I would not care if it was a off road truck team, A smaller series road race team, A euro road race team, a alms team, Or a grand am team.

booyah

SRD Member
Reaction score
I was different when i signed up for iracing I was fast right off the signup. I never raced without aids till it and had a 6 race win streak at lainer.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I was different when i signed up for iracing I was fast right off the signup. I never raced without aids till it and had a 6 race win streak at lainer.
My wheel sucks donkey butt. Its a old ps2 wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.