1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

MENCS17 Rendering Underside

Discussion in '3dsMax Help or Questions' started by wslates, Dec 27, 2017.

1. wslates

wslates 1

Using 3DS Max 2016 (Student Version). Imported the new MENCS17 body into one of the Mental Ray scenes I have, and it seems the underside materials are bleeding out to the actual paint. Happens in other scenes as well.

The scene works with other mods - this is the only mod that seems to have an issue.

Anyone have an idea how to solve it?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. DaveO

DaveO Well-Known Member

We've been having some issue's as well, with getting the scenes ready for the TMS rendering system. One particular issue was with the reflection map. Also try checking the hood underside, or removing that part.

3. DERacing

DERacing SRD's Resident Lunatic!

I am not sure why, though I do have an idea as to the cause, but if you set the material to a standard type instead of something MR would use such as Arch and Design or Physical, that seems to clear up that mess. At least in some of my MR scenes.

Another thing that I have been looking at is the aspect ratio of the objects and the actual scales. The models appear to have been created using Metric instead of inch/foot. It is not at a true 1:1 scale which can be checked by the 110" wheelbase. I think this is a huge part of the issue, but still testing it.

DaveO likes this.
  4. NascarMan32

NascarMan32 Well-Known Moron

Figured this out after a really long time, lol. What you have to do is select each part by the Material ID in order to select them accurately, and then you can use the Edit Poly mod to detach them from each other. You can then move each part of the car around to prevent this issue from happening. Make sure the selection mode is set to "Element" in order to do this.

tutorial.png

**Step 4 is to click the circled Select button.
    **Step 5 is to click Select By Material ID in the pop-up menu.

Material ID's (for Toyota Camry SS version):
    1. body
    2. chassis & interior
    3. engine
    4. window net
    5. tires
    6. shark fins
    7. underbody
    8. windows

As @DERacing said, the reason stuff like this is happening is that the Standard material is not very optimized for renders like this, but it is also because the underbody and the body are taking up the same space, causing mental ray to be confused as to which to render on top.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    DERacing likes this.
  5. Smoke OR

Smoke OR Official Toad Hunter.

But alas if you just made the car body 2 sided would it not fix the bleed through?

DERacing likes this.
  6. NascarMan32

NascarMan32 Well-Known Moron

The underside of the body is a different material than the top, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fix anything. Changing the underside to the Arch & Design material type and enabling "Backface Cull" in the material editor does help to an extent, but the material will still cast a shadow on the top of the car, unfortunately.

I like to use the Bevel modifier to move all of the problem areas inwards on the underbody mesh. It doesn't completely fix it, but it gets most of it out of the way so I don't have to do as much manually.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018