Latest resources

2021 Fictional/Concept Paint Schemes Pack #1 DAT Designs
A collection of my fictional/concept paint schemes designed for the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
2018 Formula 1 Carset BryceO84
2018 Formula Carset for the FORMULA 1 Mod by VSR.
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Downloads
Updated
66 - CrashClaimR.US Camry - CAL daniele
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
66 - Unsponsored Camry - VEG1 daniele
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
61 - Pit Boss Camry - PHO1 daniele
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Michigan FSE pit out AI issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMik

SRD Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just ran an amazing race at Michigan 2012 FSE but there is an issue I was hoping someone had figured out.

It seems when the AI cars are exiting the pits, if there is another one anywhere near them, they clip the end of the pit wall and careen back up onto the track, causing havoc. Has anyone else experienced this? I've attached a pic to show exactly what they hit. If they are alone there is no issue.

Thanks for any help or info. This track, like all from FSE, is tremendous!!

RJ

Attachments

• pit issue b.jpg
    pit issue b.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 108

fortine_oo

SRD Member
Reaction score
First, a short explanation for the track.ini line <ai_squeeze_pcnt>.
Increasing this value above 0.00 allows the AI to deviate from the usual constraints of the Race.lp, i.e. they'll more readily change racing lines. With the proper placement of the lp's, the increased <ai_squeeze_pcnt> value can produce more ai passing opportunities, or at least more side by side racing.
When an lp is fairly close to an inside clip point and the <ai_squeeze_pcnt> value is greater than 1.00, a side effect may begin to occur, the ai may cut inside corners too close. If there is a wall there, the ai will hit it. The probability of this happening increases with the raising of the <ai_squeeze_pcnt> value, at 2.00+ the probability is 50% or more.

The <ai_squeeze_pcnt> values for Michigan FSE (both 2012 & 2012b) are 1.85 for Cup, 2.06 for gns, and 2.15 for cts. Those are pretty high values.
However, in 30+ side by side instances, there were no ai that clipped the wall. I ran cup and gns. I even parked my car just to the right of the pit0.lp to force the ai to the inside, no collisions.
My results don't prove the ai wll not clip the wall, but the chance of it happening is pretty slim.

Your post seems to suggest the ai are clipping the wall every time they round the corner side by side.
My educated guess is you're using a modified papy_ai.ini.
Regardless, the way to alleviate the problem is:
1) lower the <ai_squeeze_pcnt> value until the ai no longer clip the wall,
2) create a new maxrace.lp that is a little farther to the right,
3) unpack the track, open the ptf in Sandbox, move the corner of the fence inward a foot or two.

RJMik

SRD Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your explaination fortine. I am 98% sure I am using the original papy_ai.ini but I sure could be wrong. I've made a fair amoung of changes over the 12 years the game has been out for sure. I'll double check and the vaules you've mentioned and hopefully it's as easy as that. Again, thank you for your testing time and answer.

RJ

RJMik

SRD Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. Definately had the original papy_ai file. Lowered the <ai_squeeze_pcnt> line to 0.6 and no more issue. Thank you so much for your help and probably the help in the future since now we know how powerful that value is.

RJ

Status
Not open for further replies.