Milwaukee Mile

Discussion in 'Auto Racing Discussion' started by ayrwolf, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Well-Known Member

2. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I'm starting to wonder with so many tracks going away if we'll ever see new facilities built in the future.

3. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Want some candy?

Well it certainly won't be in the droves that NASCAR built all the 1.5 mile superspeedways. I believe auto racing in general on the corporate level is just plain struggling because of the absurd amount of costs and effort required to make it all happen. At the local level is where we will start seeing the growth of auto racing in both open wheel and stock car again. But that too can be hit or miss. We need people that are both smart in business and common sense leading these organizations to achieve that. On the surface today it looks like everything is fine, and for the most part it is. But the recent fate of tracks like Milwaukee, Rockingham, Wilkesboro, IRP and countless others show that more people in charge are looking for the instant return from their investment to make a decent profit. In promoting race events, that is not always the case and shows and has been described in the article. It is sad, but one day I hope auto racing in general looks to become less corporate and with especially NASCAR, get back to its roots. Things are always going to change and evolve but it is really important to keep tradition. Just my two cents.

Mystical likes this.
  4. SUPEREEVEEMASTER

SUPEREEVEEMASTER Well-Known Member

I always thought the Milwaukee Mile was such an underrated track even if it didn't produce the best racing. It has a ton of history and it looks like the track is on its way out in one way or another which makes me sad.

5. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 SRD Cup Series Driver - #81 Ford Fusion

Hopefully the track can get everything taken care of (especially the debt) and opens up for racing again. It would be awesome to see NASCAR, ARCA, and Indycar go back to the historic oval for future races down the road. While it might not be the greatest track in the world, it was still unique and put on decent races for the most part. It also sucks that the track does not have a high number of seats (seating cap is roughly 37,000 according to Wikipedia). If only the fans would show up to support the track by attending the races (poor attendance hampered past races at the track)....

Anyway, it would be nice to see at least 1 CWTS race, 1 NXS race, 1 Indycar race, 1 ARCA race, and perhaps some road racing series getting a race at the track using the oft-overlooked infield road course (seen below) every year. I highly doubt a Sprint Cup race will ever get held at the track, but it would be awesome if it ever did happen (replacing one of those awful 1.5-mile cookie cutter tracks):
    Milwaukee Mile Template.jpg

Here is the website that a large group of people have put together in the hopes of saving the historic oval, if anyone is interested:
    http://savethemile.org/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. SUPEREEVEEMASTER

Like it said in the article, I think the Sprint Cup race never happened or ever will happen at the track because it's not exactly a facility up to Cup standards. It doesn't have a garage and of course not enough seats. With Road America on the Xfinity schedule, even if the track was still active and had owners, I don't know how much they would like having two tracks on the schedule in the same state

7. aldeanarmy01

aldeanarmy01 Well-Known Member

I live in the area and the track recently sold a good amount of the seating that wasnt part of the grandstand. The biggest thing is the track still owes a ton of money to NASCAR for the last few events that were there, and the other problem is the track is still in debt from the renovations it underwent (including the new grandstand) before NASCAR even left. The debt is insurmountable, our entire state fairgrounds is in massive amounts of debt and in part, its because its not a safe area to go to. Milwaukee is becoming a much more dangerous city and where the track is located is much more dangerous of an area than when NASCAR last raced there. Another big thing too is we have such great local racetracks around here, ive been to over 10 NASCAR events at the mile, and still its more fun to go watch local guys.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

Fucking love that track :( . Hope they can get some events for 2017

9. mvdbutler

mvdbutler Well-Known Member

they need to get a cup series race xfinity race camping world trucks race and indycar race in 2017 or 2018

10. SUPEREEVEEMASTER

I see it being very difficult to get Indycar back there even I though I think they should be there. With NASCAR's five-year sanctioning signed last year forbidding new tracks to joining the schedule, NASCAR won't be back there anytime soon.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Enter The Zone

The only large events they can secure right now are Indy Car and ARCA. The NASCAR touring series' schedules are set in stone for a while.