19 - Auto Owners Insurance Patriotic Camry - IND Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Racing 2002 / 4 sandbox

TwelfthQuotient

Makes Things
Reaction score
I've been strolling through some old NNR downloads and seen a few tracks for NR2002 and N4 and wonder how they made them, Im asking because Papy Sandbox cant open NASCAR Racing 4 tracks and cant Edit NASCAR Racing 2002 Season tracks
Question is: What do I need or How do I make/edit Older NASCAR Racing (2002/4) tracks?

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that the Sandbox program was updated throughout the years, and those updates led to a lack of backwards compatibility with the older games. iRacing literally uses the same program to make their tracks, though appear to have made significant updates to it for it to have the capabilities to replicate the tracks they have scanned, and it more than likely wouldn't be able to open tracks made for NR2003, much like how the version of the program we use for NR2003 isn't able to open NR2002 or NR4 tracks.

T18

SRD Member
Reaction score
Oh boy are you lucky I found this thread. For all my N4 tracks the ptfs were infact made in the NR2003 sandbox and then converted to xml then to an N4 ptf. Its convoluted and kinda annoying to do but it does work.

TwelfthQuotient

Makes Things
Reaction score
Oh boy are you lucky I found this thread. For all my N4 tracks the ptfs were infact made in the NR2003 sandbox and then converted to xml then to an N4 ptf. Its convoluted and kinda annoying to do but it does work.
Hell, even if its annoying, I would like to know how

T18

SRD Member
Reaction score
So, what you will need is the program TrkMaker v1.8b. For some reason it is capable of making an N4 ptf from xml. What you do is build the track in sandbox like normal. Then using trkmaker convert it to a .xml, then you convert that xml to an n4 ptf. Among the annoyances is the need to make sure all the objects and mips you use also exist for N4, and that the conversion gets odd with X sections and converging geometry. There are also a slew of sandbox functions that do not carry over correct, for example split wall textures just do not work.