10 - Dynagro Seed Camaro - TAL2 canadienhits
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Silly Season and News

wslates

SRD Member
Reaction score
I know in the usa there are some history with racism, but in my eyes this chauvinistic words are also a kind of racism.
Not worth responding to the wonderful whataboutism or the "some history with racism" that rounded out this train wreck, but this just struck me.

You think those comments are...racist? I, uh. Hm. That's a new one, have to hand you that.

(There's actually a word for discriminating against sex...sexism.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Larson deserved everything he got over the last few days. It wasn't "just a word", it was a word embroiled in a long history of use in dehumanizing, oppressing, and enslaving an entire race. It is literally the one word in the English language that is unanimously not used. Pretty easy to avoid. And Larson used it to....test his microphone. His casualness makes it pretty easy to assume he uses it commonly. Abhorrent.

Even if we remove the entire racist/historical context of the word, this is a sport entirely based on sponsorship. If you're a company and you're spending millions of dollars to sponsor this guy, he sure as hell shouldn't be doing anything that can cause harm to your brand. That is literally the antithesis of sponsorship. There are countless other drivers that would be willing to take his spot and not cause a PR nightmare for their sponsors. Pretty easy decision.

Lastly, this has led me to believe that as a sport, we will never be able to shed the "racist redneck" stereotype. Even if Larson hadn't said this, the comment sections for a lot of these articles are absolute trash with a frighteningly large amount of people just dismissing this as "liberal PC", "just a word", and ignoring any possibility that there's a problem with it. Disappointing, really.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Actually argued the point with a distant relative, who drives a dirt super late model.

He is adamant that this was overblown.

I tried to convince him this wasn't a mistake, the only 'accident' was that he said it in a public setting. It's still wrong.

Long story short, he is equating me to being over sensitive and being PC (as a conservative, that's hilarious). I just have a level of understanding of the gravity of using the word. Probably going to end up burning that bridge, but of the many things I tend to let slide in life, I refuse to let this go and oversimplify it. If for nothing else, out of respect for my Sergeant, who I honestly owe much to.

It's just sad.

KodaTheWolf

Lover of Paint Schemes
SRD Member
Reaction score
Some updates on Larson:
- He's started chatting with Willy T. Ribbs on advice for his situation
- Adam Stern reported that Larson is "determined" to make a comeback in NASCAR & started his enrollment in NASCAR's sensitivity training
- Bubba Wallace posted an amazing response on what he thinks of the situation on his social media
https://twitter.com/BubbaWallace/status/1250883737585410048?s=20

MattyO

Salty
Admin
Reaction score
If I'm a Nascar team owner, I'm chomping at the bit to get Larson on my team. This will be forgotten in due time. From everything I've seen, and heard, he's a good kid. He made an incredibly dumb mistake. One he's paying dearly for. Everyone deserves a second chance, and I see no reason why he can't get one.

He's a championship talent who made a mistake. He'll learn from it. He'll be better from it, and he'll win races again. And winning cures all. If I'm a team owner, I'm begging anyone who will give me a dollar to save up enough to put this guy in my car. The kid can drive the hell out of a race car. You can't teach what he can do. But you can teach him to be a better and smarter person.

Sebastian Ruiz

6 Time SRD Pick'em race winner
SRD Member
Reaction score
https://www.jayski.com/2020/04/17/f...ance-kennedy-about-nascar-running-at-daytona/
President Trump says sports will return without fans; Florida Governor has talked to NASCAR about running at Daytona

The Trump Administration released its guidelines for "Opening Up America Again" on Thursday with a series of steps to enable citizens to return to work alongside normalized social activity. The president also spoke about the potential return of live sports, which have been on hold since the NBA postponed its season on March 12.

Asked about where sports fit within the guidelines, Trump said, "many of them are going to be starting without the fans, so it’ll be ‘made for television’- the good old days," indicating that would be played and broadcast before fans are allowed to attend events in person.

"Ultimately, we want to have packed arenas- when the virus is gone, we’re going to have packed arenas," Trump said while taking questions during a White House coronavirus task force press briefing. "We’re going to be back to enjoying sports the way they’re supposed to be," Trump said, without giving a specific date or league that might be first.

Front Office Sports

AND: Gov. Ron DeSantis is assembling a team to determine when and how the state can start to reopen after massive economic damage from the novel coronavirus, as influential business groups push for a restart.

DeSantis is expected to have a task force in place by the end of the week amid shuttered businesses and unemployment numbers that continue to spike in Florida and across the nation.

DeSantis also noted his support for holding televised sporting events in empty stadiums in Florida, pointing to a discussion with NASCAR Vice Chair Lesa Kennedy, who was among a list of sports commissioners and team owners named to Trump’s advisory committee.

"I mentioned NASCAR, I talked to Lesa Kennedy, I want them to race," DeSantis said. "I think the public would like to see — it’s going to be on TV. I understand you’re not going to fill up Daytona Speedway right now. I’m not suggesting you do, but I think if there’s content that can be created, I think that that’s a good thing. Even Dr. (Anthony) Fauci said, televised sports is a positive thing."

KodaTheWolf

Lover of Paint Schemes
SRD Member
Reaction score

oddball

SRD Member
Reaction score
I get the need for wanting to get back to normal. I want that as much as anyone, but as the Spanish Flu taught us anything, it's better to wait to do that, then to risk round 2. Heck we aren't even through round 1 of the this. Let's get through round 1 before we even think about getting back to normal. There are states that haven't even begun to really deal with this. I would not be shocked to not see any sports/racing until at least September and more than likely not until next year sometime.

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
I get the need for wanting to get back to normal. I want that as much as anyone, but as the Spanish Flu taught us anything, it's better to wait to do that, then to risk round 2. Heck we aren't even through round 1 of the this. Let's get through round 1 before we even think about getting back to normal. There are states that haven't even begun to really deal with this. I would not be shocked to not see any sports/racing until at least September and more than likely not until next year sometime.
Wave 2 peaked nearly 6 months after the initial wave. There is no guarantee that will happen (though there isn't any guarantee that it won't), 6 months is a long time.

JeffJordan

My name is no longer Jeff Jordan
SRD Member
Reaction score
Wave 2 peaked nearly 6 months after the initial wave. There is no guarantee that will happen (though there isn't any guarantee that it won't), 6 months is a long time.
While that is true, taking social distance guidelines means actually taking them seriously. Maybe they won't last for six months, but I don't get the idea of trying to put on a show and actively putting the workers in danger at the point we're currently at. I'd much rather they just hold off.

Keselowski2Wallace

Keselowski2Wallace
SRD Member
Reaction score
if only they started May 10th weekend with Darlington.... Mothers Day Weekend, throwback to the infamous Craven Busch Race that weekend.

I'll be even happier once i hear about the truck schedule.