5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Silly Season and News

Dodgeman4345

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Apparently according to Yahoo Sports, Kasey Kahne turned down an offer to drive the #41 for Stewart Haas Racing in 2019. He said that his mind was already made up to retire.

ahspencer01

yikes
Banned
Reaction score
Apparently according to Yahoo Sports, Kasey Kahne turned down an offer to drive the #41 for Stewart Haas Racing in 2019. He said that his mind was already made up to retire.
Wow, if that's the case he really doesn't give a shit about racing anymore. That sucks.

Tanner Levasseur

Banned
Reaction score
If the drivers don't want to run the 2019 package then no one wants to. If NASCAR thinks seeing big single file packs with slow cars and hard to pass, and on top of that huge wrecks for excitement, then the sport has no hope because the fanbase will sink quicker in a season or two then in the last 10 years combined.

KahneRacing945

3-Time USORL Rally Winner
Banned
Reaction score
Not too surprised. He's said he plans on doing 50 WoO races.

Dodgeman4345

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Not too surprised. He's said he plans on doing 50 WoO races.
I find that kind of interesting. He said he was retiring from Cup because he didn't like the grind of 36 races a year. Now he is going to run 50 races a year. Talk about a grind. Lol. Now I do admit that I don't follow the WoO Sprint Car Series that closely so I don't how many total races a year they run. I do know that sometimes they run 3 and 4 races in a row at different tracks each night. Even though the tracks are fairly close together that seems like more of a grind to me.

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
Considering that the 36 week grind mostly consists of races that are at least 300 miles in length on tracks over half a mile long compared to the WoO 50 race schedule of 50 lap mains on tracks that are at most a half mile long, I would assume it's less of a grind for sprint cars....

ayrwolf

Where ever your're at, there you are
SRD Member
Reaction score
Considering that the 36 week grind mostly consists of races that are at least 300 miles in length on tracks over half a mile long compared to the WoO 50 race schedule of 50 lap mains on tracks that are at most a half mile long, I would assume it's less of a grind for sprint cars....
I think you need to factor in that in the WoO not only must you qualify but there are also multiple heats that you must race in other than the main. Also at most tracks the pits are far less desirable than a Cup event

puckhogg11

SRD Member
Reaction score
But also consider that a WoO race is concluded in 1 night where a Nascar race the driver is usually there for 3 days. So using that math he is racing 50 nights compared to being at the track for over 100 nights.

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
I think you need to factor in that in the WoO not only must you qualify but there are also multiple heats that you must race in other than the main. Also at most tracks the pits are far less desirable than a Cup event
Yes, there are the heats.... But even if you were to race in every heat in a night, the distance raced would still be much smaller than if you were to race in a Cup race at a similarly sized track....

As for the pits, isn't that more or less a glorified name for the garage-area equivalent in WoO?

wslates

SRD Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, seeing the reigning championship driver/team struggling to find sponsorship leaves me worried about the state of our sport. I understand that it can be caused by a variety of variables (team's cost, motivation, etc.), but I would have never imagined we'd be talking about the reigning champion possibly out of a ride due to sponsorship woes.

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
SRD Member
Reaction score
If it really is that...and I hope it isn't. I can see Visser selling the chassis and engines to LFR to make the transition easier and to better the team. And at the behest of Toyota at that.

Though that third tweet could be about practically anything.

wslates

SRD Member
Reaction score
So, somebody posted these comments on Reddit today, and it's most likely pure bullshit, but holy shit would it be interesting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/com..._mencs_bass_pro_shops_nra_night_race/e4fjm5a/

It's KBM to Cup, guys, it always has been KBM to Cup. Now is as good a time as any, think about all the stars aligned here:

-Kyle is TECHNICALLY in a contract year, and while that doesn't mean much, it does mean it's easier for Gibbs to release him and help him bring his own team to Cup.

-Kurt is most likely out a ride but DOES have sponsorship with Monster, what was KBM's sponsor in XFINITY? Monster. Who still has the ONLY win in XFINITY ever for KBM? Kurt. Who's Kyle's brother? Kurt. Kurt and Kyle would be phenomenal at developing a new Cup team. I imagine it would grow as fast as SHR did.

-FRR and Truex's fates are hanging off the edge, JGR could EASILY ditch FRR and grab KBM to be their new technical alliance team. Toyota can even keep Truex, send Truex to the #18, Kyle will drive the #54 for his team, Kurt will drive the #97, his championship number.

Kyle will also reopen an XFINITY Series team and probably run one car with several drivers.

My sources have told me something along the lines of this:

Kyle out of the #18, into his own #54 for KBM.

Truex out of the #78, into the #18.

Kurt out of the #41, into the #97 for KBM.

Cole Custer up to Cup with the #41, possibly renumbered #00.

Bell either one more year in XFINITY or a third KBM car which is incredibly unlikely.

FRR either shuts down or picks up someone like Kenseth. FRR is being cut from the Toyota alliance though so would most likely go to Fords with support from Roush or SHR. Pearn probably will follow Truex. KBM gets funding from TRD and Mars for Kyle and TRD and Monster Energy for Kurt.
That's not nearly as earth-shattering as the rumor I've picked up from a source of mine....

"I bet I know what it is.

JGR cuts ties with FRR to support Kyle Busch and KBM becoming an allied Cup team. Truex goes to the #18, Kyle drives the #54 for his own team. Kurt leaves the #41 to drive for Kyle in a #97. Custer goes to the #41, possibly renumbered #00. Having KBM be the JGR alliance team instead of FRR opens up the possibility of running four more cars on top of JGR’s four instead of FRR’s 1-2 cars. This also means the Toyota development drivers have a clear ladder to climb to Cup, possibly through KBM entirely."
This is a confirmed rumor I've heard from a reliable source of mine. I'm 99% certain it's happening and 98% certain that this is the earth-shattering news.
Oh he won't go to 4 instantly. I predict he'll go to 2 for sure, 3 if sponsorship and a charter are available. He can easily obtain two charters from FRR, especially if FRR closes shop, I believe they still own two but have one of them leased out.

Edit: Nevermind they sold the second one to JTG for the #37.

Still, I'm sure he can "convince" one of the small teams to give one up as well as taking the #78's charter.

nascarfan9

Category 5 Punicane.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Heh. Is there precedent where a guy leaves a team he won 6(probably plus) races with in a season for another team (either his own or otherwise) the next season?? Seems a bit out there IMO o_O #2018ing

BrendonH12

Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong
SRD Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but after tonight's race, I can totally see Truex taking his talents to SHR! Now that's something I'd like to see...