Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Silly Season and News

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
IIRC another company bought the Circuit City name and is operating it as an online-only retailer now. www.circuitcity.com
Well I'll be damned. This is news to me (and I work in the news industry, funny enough). Never thought I would see that old Circuit City logo again after all of these years. Thanks for the info, bud.

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
According to Adam Stern's Twitter and Marshall Pruett, NASCAR is seriously considering using Hybrid specs/engines when the Gen-7 cars arrive in 2021 (more info below):

Based on the Mid-Ohio meeting, no changes to the DPi 2.0 formula will equal no Ford in 2022, and therefore, no interim extension program with the IMSA GTs.

On a related topic, IMSA’s owners at NASCAR are also looking heavily at going hybrid for its next set of Cup Series regulations. A recent meeting among manufacturers and team owners, I’ve heard, included serious discussions on implementing a similar spec hybrid system as early as 2021.

With its longstanding ties to NASCAR, which direction would Ford spend its money if it had to choose between Cup and IMSA to promote its range of hybridized road cars? That, too, is a no-brainer. On America’s racing radar, NASCAR, even with its declining fortunes, is the only series that makes marketing waves.

It’s also the likely cause behind Groot imploring IMSA to give Ford a bigger, more powerful, and more unique hybrid solution to pitch his bosses. Without that high-power differentiator to Cup, selling Ford on IMSA could be impossible if NASCAR and NASCAR’s sports car series end up with more or less the same token hybrid strategies. To add to the fun, IndyCar is considering some form of hybrid component when its new engine formula lands in 2021, also of the low-power variety.

Stern Tweet.jpg

SOURCES
https://www.jayski.com/2019/05/28/nascar-considering-hybrid-engines/
https://racer.com/2019/05/28/pruett-fords-gt-decision-a-harsh-reality-check/
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1133511586742771712
https://old.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comments/bu5xs8/according_to_indycar_and_sports_car_reporter/

Reza Maulana

SRD's Resident Indonesian & Truck Series Statman
SRD Member
Reaction score
So I found some rather interesting stuff from r/NASCAR's Discord server... There's a photo of a HRE press release that shows a #61 HRE Supra, with HRE's long-time sponsors Aisin Group shown as the sponsors of the #61 car. Interestingly, the press release is written in Japanese and had the logo of Gazoo Racing - Toyota's international manufacturer motorsport and tuning division - showcased right at the bottom...

Could it be that a HRE and Gazoo joint-effort is going to appear this season in Xfinity?

TheSpeedanator

Graphic Designer || EGI Partner
SRD Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, they are running Daytona (which can be confirmed if you go to their Japenese website). My best guess would have Austin Hill as the driver, but since there was some resistance from Toyota on Hill being in the #16, there is a possibility it is someone else.

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
Brett Moffit? He did win a championship in HRE equipment in Trucks and has strong ties to Toyota thanks to MWR....

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
SRD Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand going with the full package at Darlington. I can't see the areo ducts really making any real difference with that place.

Dodgeman4345

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Facebook so that means it must be true right?

A source within the Hendrick organization has indicated that Natalie Decker could very well be in line to take over the #7 JR motorsports car next year with a cup ride lined up in 2021

I'm pretty sure it's a joke.