1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

NASCAR Silly Season and News

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by ahspencer01, Jul 27, 2018.

1. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

In the end, I see this as the Carl Edwards/Daniel Suarez situation... XCI will be a 5th JGR team with either Bell or Jones to make room for both in cup

joeykraus19 and BrendonH12 like this.
  2. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

If they do go ahead with the XCI team for next season with one of those two driving I would guess this would be more of JGR/FRR alliance cars and technology unlike the JGR/LFR relationship now with just cars no technical help. Essentially making it a 5th JGR car.

If I were a team like say a Chip Ganassi, I would be exploring my options to switch to a Toyota and try and be in position for some of these young guys like Bell or Jones or even Harrison Burton if things pan out. Toyota is loyal to their teams and drivers in bring them up through the ranks you could pick and choose from whatever talented drivers they have coming up next. I know CGR wouldn't switch probably but it does seem tempting I'm sure.

theusar and joeykraus19 like this.
  3. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

CGR switched to Chevy as part of the deal to merge with DEI. I'm not sure that switching manufacturers is off the table for them. They drive Honda in Indycar (despite chevy being available) and they drive Ford in the sports car series they run, so anything is possible.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  4. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Am I the only one wondering what the point is of having a 4 car restriction if teams can essentially field a 5th car under a different name anyway?

db512 and BrendonH12 like this.
  5. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

Because they put in the restriction to 4 cars when Roush had his 5 cars. Then teams found the loophole to field a 5th car without actually fielding a 5th car. Lol.

db512 likes this.
  6. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

I agree. I have never liked that rule and to be frank, it’s very stupid, imo. If an owner has enough funds and is willing to field eight cars, then by all means, let him do it - even if it’s Joe Gibbs! lol

db512 likes this.
  7. MrDude68

I had no problem with Roush having 5 cars, and even a sixth on the track sometimes. He was providing more good cars for people to drive in the Cup series.

BrendonH12 and Petty4345 like this.
  8. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread

Well it was enacted in 2008 (Roush had an extra year to downsize due to existing contracts), but I have to imagine it was some idea they had to help the teams during the recession, but I doubt it worked

9. BaCruise

BaCruise Member

If I remember correctly, I think Brian France or some other higher-up at the time was quoted as saying that they didn't want one team taking all the spots in the Chase after Roush managed to get 5 of his cars in the original 10 car Chase format. If my memory is indeed correct, then the current 4-car finale at Homestead rips the rationale for the original 4-car limit to shreds, thus theoretically making the rule archaic.

10. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Shh, don't say it too loud or they will change it to 3 cars max

11. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Honestly though, three cars might be perfect, because the fourth usually sucks anyways...

starscream24 and joeykraus19 like this.
  12. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

But that should be up to the teams

starscream24 and MWick4 like this.
  13. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't know. It's a sticky situation either way. Part of the issue was that these larger teams had a lot to throw into R&D and then those teams would top the board (which still happens), but it keeps smaller teams from having a shot at getting anywhere. I think part of the reasoning was to try and help minimize a situation like "the big 3" from happening, even though it happened anyway.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  14. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread

Limiting the number of people who want to participate in your series isn't a great idea. Just look at how F1's doing since they've been rejecting teams wanting to join for decades

15. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Either cut the field size down another couple spots or, preferably, get rid of the charter limit. Teams have no incentive to get better right now, because they’re locked in and get an automatic paycheck. They get paid to purposely not try to run well. That’s not racing. The point of showing up to a racetrack is to be the best you can be. Make em fight for it one way or another, either by making it harder to get into (thus increasing their competitiveness) or by making them have to beat a few more already competitive cars.

16. MrDude68

No, no more cutting the field size. They already did that in every series and it didn't change a thing.

ChadVSO, BrendonH12 and joeykraus19 like this.
  17. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Maybe it's just me, but how about ditch charters, team limits, "locked in" and the fastest 40 or 43 or whatever get to race and the rest go the hell home? I know, it's a novel idea that's only been around since forever....

18. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

That worked well and good until high name drivers and/or sponsors went home for not qualifying well and the bitchfest ensued.

starscream24 likes this.
  19. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Totally get it, guess I'm just good at ignoring whining (thanks to having 2 kids I guess? lol) If a big name driver doesn't make the cut... uhhh.... get gud? Better luck next time? *shrugs*

20. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

Oh I agree. I watched it happen in the 80s. I think it would bring some more drama and intensity back to the sport.

JeffJordan, mtblillie and RacerXero84 like this.