8 - Cat Fleet Monitoring Camaro - MART1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

NASCAR Silly Season and News

sweetracerdude

King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!
Reaction score
Theory: iK9 staying with JGR still leaves the possibility for Xtreme Concepts Racing to Cup in 2020, but with Jeffrey out of the picture I think the XCI ride is a prime spot for Bell to land.
In the end, I see this as the Carl Edwards/Daniel Suarez situation... XCI will be a 5th JGR team with either Bell or Jones to make room for both in cup

db512

2011 SRD Cup Series Champion
Reaction score
If they do go ahead with the XCI team for next season with one of those two driving I would guess this would be more of JGR/FRR alliance cars and technology unlike the JGR/LFR relationship now with just cars no technical help. Essentially making it a 5th JGR car.

If I were a team like say a Chip Ganassi, I would be exploring my options to switch to a Toyota and try and be in position for some of these young guys like Bell or Jones or even Harrison Burton if things pan out. Toyota is loyal to their teams and drivers in bring them up through the ranks you could pick and choose from whatever talented drivers they have coming up next. I know CGR wouldn't switch probably but it does seem tempting I'm sure.

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
Reaction score
CGR switched to Chevy as part of the deal to merge with DEI. I'm not sure that switching manufacturers is off the table for them. They drive Honda in Indycar (despite chevy being available) and they drive Ford in the sports car series they run, so anything is possible.

MrDude68

Reaction score
Am I the only one wondering what the point is of having a 4 car restriction if teams can essentially field a 5th car under a different name anyway?

Dodgeman4345

Reaction score
Am I the only one wondering what the point is of having a 4 car restriction if teams can essentially field a 5th car under a different name anyway?
Because they put in the restriction to 4 cars when Roush had his 5 cars. Then teams found the loophole to field a 5th car without actually fielding a 5th car. Lol.

BrendonH12

Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong
Reaction score
I agree. I have never liked that rule and to be frank, it’s very stupid, imo. If an owner has enough funds and is willing to field eight cars, then by all means, let him do it - even if it’s Joe Gibbs! lol

MrDude68

Reaction score
I agree. I have never liked that rule and to be frank, it’s very stupid, imo. If an owner has enough funds and is willing to field eight cars, then by all means, let him do it - even if it’s Joe Gibbs! lol
I had no problem with Roush having 5 cars, and even a sixth on the track sometimes. He was providing more good cars for people to drive in the Cup series.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
Well it was enacted in 2008 (Roush had an extra year to downsize due to existing contracts), but I have to imagine it was some idea they had to help the teams during the recession, but I doubt it worked

BaCruise

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I think Brian France or some other higher-up at the time was quoted as saying that they didn't want one team taking all the spots in the Chase after Roush managed to get 5 of his cars in the original 10 car Chase format. If my memory is indeed correct, then the current 4-car finale at Homestead rips the rationale for the original 4-car limit to shreds, thus theoretically making the rule archaic.

4WideRacing

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I think Brian France or some other higher-up at the time was quoted as saying that they didn't want one team taking all the spots in the Chase after Roush managed to get 5 of his cars in the original 10 car Chase format. If my memory is indeed correct, then the current 4-car finale at Homestead rips the rationale for the original 4-car limit to shreds, thus theoretically making the rule archaic.
Shh, don't say it too loud or they will change it to 3 cars max

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know. It's a sticky situation either way. Part of the issue was that these larger teams had a lot to throw into R&D and then those teams would top the board (which still happens), but it keeps smaller teams from having a shot at getting anywhere. I think part of the reasoning was to try and help minimize a situation like "the big 3" from happening, even though it happened anyway.

nj9703

Very Stable Genius
Reaction score
Either cut the field size down another couple spots or, preferably, get rid of the charter limit. Teams have no incentive to get better right now, because they’re locked in and get an automatic paycheck. They get paid to purposely not try to run well. That’s not racing. The point of showing up to a racetrack is to be the best you can be. Make em fight for it one way or another, either by making it harder to get into (thus increasing their competitiveness) or by making them have to beat a few more already competitive cars.

Brandon Miller

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but how about ditch charters, team limits, "locked in" and the fastest 40 or 43 or whatever get to race and the rest go the hell home? I know, it's a novel idea that's only been around since forever....
That worked well and good until high name drivers and/or sponsors went home for not qualifying well and the bitchfest ensued.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
That worked well and good until high name drivers and/or sponsors went home for not qualifying well and the bitchfest ensued.
Totally get it, guess I'm just good at ignoring whining (thanks to having 2 kids I guess? lol) If a big name driver doesn't make the cut... uhhh.... get gud? Better luck next time? *shrugs*