1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

New contingency policy rollout

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by JNieder51188, Dec 4, 2017.

1. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

Seems like NASCAR is moving away from the contingencies in the next few seasons. Hopefully, the link loads correctly. Adam Stern is always a good follow for the business side of NASCAR related stuff.
    https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/937693872381186048

2. MDLDesigns

MDLDesigns Fictional Paint Extraordinaire

This is fuckin dumb IMO. The contingencies have always been a HUGE part of giving their cars their own specific look from other racing series and this will fuckin RUIN that....NASCAR: fixing what's not broken since 2004.

3. Chevellion

Chevellion SRD Cup League Director

Isn't the whole point of contingency sponsors to guarantee airtime during races, no matter what car is on-screen? That's like Pepsi giving up all its NFL stadium billboards for a banner ad on NFL.com

4. MDLDesigns

MDLDesigns Fictional Paint Extraordinaire

EXACTLY my point. Thank you. It's so fuckin stupid.

Willjr3129 likes this.
  5. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

So basically all of the cars will look like the 78 in terms of contingencies? Not sure what I feel on this, yet, since I've noticed some teams (take Hendrick for example) seemingly sporting fewer and fewer contingencies each year as of late. Maybe there's just fewer programs to participate in, than there were, say 10 years ago, but part of me feels like this has been in the works the last couple of years.

6. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Oh ffs. Don't tell me they're gonna move the numbers to the quarter panel and have the whole door taken up by sponsors. Why is NASCAR trying to be everything it's not? I'm fucking sick of them just throwing away tradition like it's nothing.

7. SebaXRuiz

SebaXRuiz 5 Time SRD Pick'em race winner

All I can say is:

USSTalladega likes this.
  8. Virox6549

Virox6549 Well-Known Member

I wonder what more stupid choices they'll make before Daytona... :rolleyes:

9. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong #Pray4theSouth

NB4 @labontefanboy tells us to quit our complaining over something as menial as this... lol :p

Shockey Rai and labontefanboy like this.
  10. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Do I Wanna Know?

No big deal IMO. The teams will still get the same money, it's not like all these companies are leaving.

Look at the 77 from Bristol this year. Check out how far forward everything is. I think they were testing the waters with this stuff and thinking about what their cars will look like without contigs.

[​IMG]

11. wslates

wslates 1

Interesting. We'll have to wait and see where they take it. I'm figuring they want it to look like that 77 above - teams could charge more for sponsorship by using a bigger logo. So they would probably get more money using that surface area for their primary sponsor rather than contingencies.

To be fair, they can choose to continue their contingency until their contracts with NASCAR ends. NASCAR is simply just not going forward with contingencies after the contracts end.

12. Chevellion

Give it a few more years and that number will have made its way to the wheelwell:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

Haha I'm really amazed at how negative the reactions are. Can't believe people are so outraged over this..."tradition"...gimme a break. It's a bunch of tiny ass logos that nobody can actually see from the grandstands or from a typical TV camera angle above the track. So long as there's a plan in place that gives those companies incentive to continue to invest in the sport, I don't care.

I will say, I really, really hope that NASCAR doesn't ever allow numbers on the quarter panels in the national series like they started with the K&N cars this year. NASCAR is on a level of its own in terms of how strongly aligned the fanbase is to their favorite drivers' numbers, both color and styling. That's one thing they should absolutely not fuck with.

14. nj9703

nj9703 #RankAppState

And that’s the “tradition” that people are alluding to.

15. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

Number placement and contingency logos are two completely different animals. A set of 10-15 unreadable logos that changes every season is not tradition. It's one thing to be concerned that this change MAY lead to numbers getting moved, but this specific change is not something that people should be riled up over.

Also, this has all the looks of the Race Team Alliance given that every quote Stern tweeted out is from Rob Kauffman. So as incompetent as Brian France is, the standard circlejerk of anger is once again misplaced.

Shockey Rai likes this.
  16. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

I think its a good idea more and more teams are placing less contingency decals on their cars every year so what's the point. Now you can see more of the car designs and it provides more space for the primaries to utilize on the cars that they are spending big bucks on to sponsor. It's really not much different than when they allowed teams to place sponsor logos on the roof with the new Gen 6 cars we don't even think twice about that now.

As far as tradition some of us older folks like it but to me if the sport tries to hard to "stay with tradition" then that is where they are going to stay. Imagine where Nascar would be if the didn't expand west? I am sure people were up in arms about breaking that tradition.

Here are 3 Jeff Gordon cars from 1997, 2005, 2015. Look at the contigencies from 1997!

Shockey Rai likes this.
  17. Mcc457

Mcc457 Well-Known Member

s-l500.jpg
    Glad to see we all have good taste in paint schemes

18. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

Not the worst idea, but I don't really get it. Contigs are some of my favorite part of the car, I don't know why, but I just like the way they fill up the space. Hopefully the teams can take advantage of the extra space.

19. Chevellion

You know they started experimenting with that in the K&N series this year, right?
    [​IMG]

USSTalladega likes this.
  20. nj9703

nj9703 #RankAppState

Except the one person who had spoken about tradition at the time of your post hadn't said anything about the tradition of contingencies, they were talking about the tradition of the numbers.

MrDude68 likes this.