1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

New rules for Daytona and Talladega

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by FastCat, Jan 11, 2018.

1. FastCat

FastCat Well-Known Member

Daytona and Talladega is going to be different this year. Jimmie Johnson stated in this video that the cars will be going 20 - 25 mph faster because of the new ride height rule. Its going to be interesting to see how this will play out.

https://twitter.com/lowesracing/status/951195592285339648

2. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick-Em Series

Wait a minute...20-25 miles per hour faster? On a plate track? Good lord...never thought that I would hear those words when talking about racing at Daytona or Talladega.

If what Jimmie is saying in that video is legit, then holy crap....Daytona is going to be absolutely INSANE for Speedweeks. For insurance purposes, I would not have any fans within 70 feet of the catch fence with the cars possibly running up around 220 to 230 MPH. Then again, I don't see NASCAR allowing them to run that fast without some sort of change to the restrictor plate or engine package for the plate races...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    dacinch8 and GDP Racing like this.
  3. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Saw your remark on that on Twitter lol

I think we are going to see a plate change with those kinds of speeds. I seriously doubt NASCAR will allow the cars to push the 230 threshold. Although it would be interesting if they did.

GDP Racing likes this.
  4. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

NASCAR's definitely not going to let the cars go that fast. There will be a plate change.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Dilly Dilly

The simulators picked up the speed increase.

NASCAR will correct it with the restrictor plates.

GDP Racing likes this.
  6. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick-Em Series

The plot thickens... (NOTE: Eric is a Senior Aerodynamics/Vehicle Performance Engineer at NASCAR, so he knows a lot when it comes to how the cars work with the aerodynamics).

plot.jpg

SOURCE: https://twitter.com/ejacuzzi

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    GDP Racing likes this.
  7. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

^I would trust HMS over NASCAR though...

8. FastCat

FastCat Well-Known Member

Lol well, I knew Nascar wasn't going allowed them go that fast and I'm sure driver's insurance company wasn't going allowed that either.

9. wslates

wslates 1

This is all a non story, imo. Even if they did get the speed, NASCAR would never allow it (with good cause), and anyone who thinks we're ever going to see these guys going over 200 MPH at the plate tracks is kidding themselves. (I saw this more on reddit than here.) It's a terrible idea, and I'd worry for the drivers' safety.

10. nassau

nassau Well-Known Member

There race drivers they want to go fast.

11. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

I'm sure they'd also prefer to not die in the process. Nascar has consistently through the years allowed the average speeds to dance around the 200mph mark, but never too much above or below.

dalejr88rox and GDP Racing like this.