Next Gen Sims

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Tnadz, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tnadz

Tnadz Well-Known Member

Hey, everyone. I was curious what you all thought about some of the next gen race sims. In general, looking at overall control, modding, etc. For myself, I use the following as a checksheet:
    - Realism in physics/tire/road modeling and, to a lesser extent, graphics
    - Damage, weather, daytime cycling
    - Fine degree of control over race and car setups
    - Ability to mod and create custom content (especially liveries)
    - Ability to track league stats internally or exporting results to 3rd party software
    - AI: realism, can manipulate behavior, ability to use custom/varied liveries
    - Multiplayer: Performance/experience, setup and interface complexity, dedi servers, can mix in AI
    - Overall performance and system requirements
    - Immersion devices and their performance in the sim (3 screen, VR, Motion Rig, custom inputs/interfaces, etc)

For myself, I've been using NR2k3 and rFactor for a while. Like many others, I consider those a base especially when looking at oval racing (which is also a priority for me).

That said, I mostly have Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2 and Project CARS on the top of my list.

I love driving in Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 also has a great physics package (RealRoad) as does iRacing. From the little I played pCARS, they did have a solid engine, but it certainly felt more forgiving and arcadey compared to these other titles (of course it was an early build, so I'm sure improvements abound).

The online races I've had were solid across all platforms. rF2 does have a lot going on with its content delivery although AC was OK for as new as their system is. I think iRacing has a phenomenal matching system (although I have a love-hate relationship with the rankings) and the dedicated servers available keep connections solid.

As for custom content, it looks like rF2 hold the crown at the moment with AC quickly garnering support. They both are obviously setting themselves up to rely heavily on custom content. I really like that part of it because you can have great communities like SRD and the Pits come out with stellar packages and paints. iRacing and pCARS fall short in this category, currently only allowing the painting of cars (iRacing even limits that). But they certainly don't lack for official products. I also saw rumors that custom modding may or may not come pCARS depending on community response...

Weather and damage are pretty strong in pCARS, who is taking the glitz trophy for now. iRacing has a decent model that's more about the mechanical than the visual, as is AC at the moment. rF2 is a little better allowing parts to break away from the car. But even then, there's a lot that relies on the mods/series themselves to determine how realistic the damage is. But rF2 does have the advanced tire modeling going on for it and it will be interesting to see that and the mechanical portion develop a lot more over time.

AI is kind of all over the place. To that, I will say that NR2k3 was ahead of its time. If we could see a system come about that allows that type of control both in and out of the game, along with a more advanced engine to run it, we could have some spectacular non-Human racing. rF2 has shown some big improvements here as have pCARS and AC. I'm curious to see how these develop over time.

Of course there are peripherals such as VR and motion rigs. While I personally have limited experience in these areas, I am curious what others have to say when comparing how one sim handles them over another (precision, ability to modify, etc).

So where do you think these sims will shake out in the coming months and years? This isn't meant to be a "This sim's better" thread; Just an honest comparison of various features and opinions of where they will be in the future with the various disciplines of racing in mind. And feel free to mention other platforms like Forza and RaceRoom. I simply left them off for sake of time.

2. Highbank

Highbank Trans Am Car Set Creator Banned

The newer sims seem to be "less" concerned with the AI than the NR2003 folks were.

3. Tnadz

Tnadz Well-Known Member

True enough. My guess is that they are focusing more on their engine to serve a multilayer world more than an offline one. But there may be hope as they get more development in.

4. theravenousbeas

theravenousbeas Well-Known Member

I can vouch for RaceRoom/R3E. Since Simbin went bankrupt, the newly formed Sector3 group has been doing many improvements to the simulation. The newer content has had improved force feedback, the tracks' surfaces have been improved for more actual road feel and the AI is so far probably the best out of all the next-gen sims. They are fairly competitive, leave room, go for gaps and make mistakes (rarely) The pricing model has been changed, you can now purchase the exact amount of in-game currency you need for whatever you want to buy. And of course, the sound in R3E is by far the best. The graphics are not the strongest point, though the sim runs at a steady pace on my 2011 midrange.
    Here's a few videos of the later content.

5. Tnadz

Tnadz Well-Known Member

Funny you should post this as I just had a chance to trial this one at a friend's place this last week. I totally agree that the AI is probably the most realistic, although I wasn't able to determine how customizable they were. Considering how the engine was locked down on previous iterations, I'm guessing there's little you can do to driver personalities other than macro adjustments like adjusting aggression (I never did see if that was an option). I really think rFactor2 can get to this level and they have been making strides. That would be phenomenal as ISI has really placed their sim well for hitting all the sweet spots especially with customization for car models, liveries and, well, most everything. But for out of the box style racing, R3E does do well for itself as a pay-in-play.

6. theravenousbeas

I'm guessing this might be of interest to some people here. Sonoma Raceway was just released. The Cadillac should be coming very soon IIRC.

This is the fourth US track to be introduced to the sim, after Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio and Indianapolis (GP and MotoGP layouts).

7. Tnadz

Tnadz Well-Known Member

I hope their Laguna Seca is better than the community release for AC. Ugh.

8. theravenousbeas

See for yourself.
    This has become my go-to racing simulator. The multiplayer netcode, even in alpha, is great and the proper licensed content (WTCC, ADAC GT, DTM) is much better than the something-from-everything approach PCars and AC have taken.

9. theravenousbeas

Haven't been on SRD for a while, thought some of you guys here might be interested.
    Three classic IMSA cars. The updated FFB and physics on this newer content is really, really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.