Updated

No hope. Yeah right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I had a good laugh last night. A old guy at a place I work at. Said I have no hope of every getting out. Mind you i don't hate the place. The pay is ok. Its also not hard work. They act like work is jail. To me its not. They are counting down the days in till they can retire. Let alone Friday. At lest I get money so I can do stuff I like.

What they do not know including my bosses. I am going back to school in January. I do plan on telling them once I am in the union come December. I will have to have a talk with my bosses about going back to school then.

After school I still will be working in a factory. But instead I will be making 15-20 bucks a hour plus. All I will have to do is hit a button and sit on a stool. The hardest thing I will have to do is wake up in the morning. No hope yeah right.

SKiNDATA

SRD Member
Reaction score
Sounds similar what I used to do earlier in the year. Worked at a steel factory near where I live until they had to shut down part of the factory due to one of their biggest customers leaving. I got trained to run the overhead crane that runs throughout most of the factory, used to carry huge steel coils that weighed from a few thousand pounds up to 50,000 and load them onto flatbed semis where they take them off to another city. Also got trained to drive a forklift and do the same loading job except with lighter stuff that it can carry. Had a good time, the people I worked with in the shipping department were always cool to hang out with. They rescheduled everyone working in shipping not long after I finished getting trained, and since I was the newest, everyone else got to choose what shift they wanted before me. I got stuck with 12 hour 3rd shift, 6:30pm - 7am. It sucked at first but I basically just worked by myself besides the one office clerk who handled all the paperwork from the new releases and drivers coming in getting coils.

I heard recently that they might be hiring again and plan on bringing people back who already know what to do, if they actually do then I might think about coming back.

K.Chuck

--Hijinxtattoo--
SRD Member
Reaction score
I always change careers every five or six years it seems, I have been my own boss for the last ten and still dont like it. Theres no substitute for school man, I have been getting all I can for the last few years and love it. Atleast I get a change of pace every semester so I dont get bored, I hated being a working stiff on a regular schedule. Theres always hope.

Enter Sandman

...And Justice For All
SRD Member
Reaction score
I figure once I get a few bills paid off I'll start fitting in some part time classes. Photography, creative writing, journalism, etcetera. I've got an eye towards automotive journalism. Even if that doesn't work, there are other areas where writing and photography training can come in handy.

No matter what, I want to get the hell out of factory work. Some factories might not be so bad, but where I am just gets more and more soul crushing by the day (probably more like the hour).

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Last night they moved me to the fab part of the shop for a night. Were I could be working in a few years. I was working with a older guy. I am like you know what you are the only older person that told me I can never get out. He laughed and said you could always get out.

I told him I planned on going back to school. He also said it was a good idea.

As for factory work. Other then being a good cook and doing auto body. I like them both more. but the pay sucks. If i was doing auto body I could be making low 20s a hour. But right now I know a lot of guys that struggle to get 20 hours a week. That is usually happens from April to November. We all know how bad cooks get paid.

So I am going back to be a machinist. It might be boring and factory work. But like I said it pays well. As a single guy with no kids that I know off. I can live off of 20 bucks a hour, and still have a crap load of money left over. Plus there is usually over time. Any were from a few hours. To 20 hours. The over time alone of 10 hours a week at 30 bucks a hour. Will pay my bills alone.

When I was growing up. I was told I should be a engineer. We had one of the best Schools for that in the us down the road from were I went to high school. They based that off my liking to build stuff with legos and what not. I am sure I would have liked that also. Just didn't care in high school and I could never afford it.

Any way my plans right now. Are to finish school in a few years. Hope to have a good job. Then buy a home right out of school. I can get a few acres for about 10-20k. Me and a buddy have been talking about how I want to build a home under ground. All I am really going to do it get a basement built. Then instead of building a normal home on top of that. Put a roof on it. Then spend a few weekends putting up studs and finishing it off. The only thing I will not do my self is plumbing, electric, widows, cabinets, the well, the foundation, and spray foam. So I will be doing a lot of the work my self with friends. So in total with the land, metrails, labor, and other things. I should be able to do it less then 60k. Mind you I have a huge head start with money.

Status
Not open for further replies.