Updated

No one is going in to the baseball HOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I grew up a major baseball fan. My fondest memories of base ball revolve around Harry Caray, and Steve Stone calling cubs games in WGN. My dad was a Braves fan in till they moved. I also remember going out to our steel shed. While it was raining to listen to Bob Uecker call brewers games. Even if it wasn't raining out. As long as there was not a cubs game on. The brewers were on the radio. We would play baseball with Uecker on in the back ground. That is how my summers as a child were filled. Even listing to Uecker today. Brings back memories. I go out of my way just to listen to him call games.

Now as a grown up. I am not as big of a baseball fan. For many reasons. The roids from the 80s-early00's. Are the biggest. Over 95 percent of players that played during that time took them. The guys I looked up to. Who I wanted to be one day. Every thing that happened was a lie.

I do not think the players that proven to take PHD's. Have any right to be in the HOF. But there are a few guys. That never were proven to take them. That got snubbed. The whole list of players that voters voted on. If you watched baseball in the 90s and early 00's. You know there names.

I just wonder what there going to do. Granted a lot of the users are all ready retired. But there are still a lot still playing. So they going snub every one, but jeter and a few others. If they do that. Were talking 10 plus years. Before we get a totally clean class.

evan07

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Sad Dale Murphy didn't make it on his final year on the ballot no PED issues and great guy with numbers to match it. If Tony Perez made it in Murphy should have made it just my 2 cents on that.

K.Chuck

--Hijinxtattoo--
SRD Member
Reaction score
Loved the MLB growing up, then in 94 when the strike happened I lost all interest.

I dont know what to say about the HOF or PHD's. Its just a bad thing from all sides.

Fisha695

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Now as a grown up. I am not as big of a baseball fan. For many reasons. The roids from the 80s-early00's. Are the biggest. Over 95 percent of players that played during that time took them. The guys I looked up to. Who I wanted to be one day. Every thing that happened was a lie.
And here is something crazy to think about, if 50 years ago (or whenever it happened) somebody wearing a suit in DC would've said "ehh I say we just leave Roids as legal & uncontrolled", those same people who are no longer your heroes would still be your heroes today.

(if that makes sense outside of my brain)

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
People make waaaaaay more out of this issue with use of PEDs and HOF voting than there is.

... and by "people" I mean "sportswriters" - the very same people who vote on HOF entry.

Hey...wait a second... am I claiming that the same people who do the voting are themselves drumming up this whole controversy regarding voting so more people pay attention to them and their vote, thereby ginning up their own ratings?

Yes, yes I am. It's bunk. It's bogus. What the crap are sportswriters doing influencing this, or college sports, in the age of sabermetrics and microprocessors that are more powerful than a computer the size of the Pentagon would have been 40 years ago? Who in the world should still care what these people think, or how they decide who's in and who's out? HOF entry should be merited the same way a World Series entry is merited - by performance. If your performance is tainted (by PEDs) and your numbers can't be trusted, there are algorithmic ways to deal with that. Get the idiotic "journalists" out of the picture, quick.

Last edited:

canadienhits

The Dominator, Cup champ.
Staff member
Paint Crew
Reaction score
Seriously...the HOF is messing up here as much as MLB and HOF has messed up the Pete Rose thing. Let's look at it this way:

Not in the Hall Of Fame:

Career Hit Leader
Career HR Leader
4th in RBI's
4th & 7th in Total Bases
2nd & 5th in 2B's
9th in all time Wins
3rd in Strikeouts

Yes, not saying what both examples did wasn't wrong, but how can you not have baseball record holders in the hall?

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
And here is something crazy to think about, if 50 years ago (or whenever it happened) somebody wearing a suit in DC would've said "ehh I say we just leave Roids as legal & uncontrolled", those same people who are no longer your heroes would still be your heroes today.

(if that makes sense outside of my brain)
I think I can answer that. If they never made them illegal. I would have no problem with that. That would mean every one was taking them. If that was the case I would of had no problem. Calling people I grew up calling my hero's. I would still call them my hero's today.

What really ticked me off. Is I remember most of these players saying when I was a kid. Stay of drugs. Well what happens 10 or so years later. There they are the same people that told me to stay off drugs. Are on a piece of paper connecting them to roids.

I do have a few players from that day. That today I still look up to. The biggest is Nolan Ryan. I wanted to be a pitcher just because of him. I was a great picture. But I gave it up to play ss and be a hitter. Which I was just as good at. If he ever game back on a list of users. I would throw out every thing of his I own.

What I am still trying to figure out. There was at lest 3 names on the ballet. That as far as I know. Have never been linked to PHD's. They even had good numbers. They were not even voted in.

Petty4345

SRD Member
Reaction score
You know I understand not wanting Bonds,Sosa, and any other player that took steriods in the hall. But to snub some of the other player's that you have NO proof just rumors is complete bullshit. I've never heard Biggio,Bagwell, or even Piazza testing positive.Don't even get me started on the player's like Dale Murphy who should have been inducted.I get the writer's are trying to protect the hall but some of player's that have been inducted where not saints and did some questionable things. Both Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker who are in the hall of fame both retired in 1926 because they where accused of fixing games. Now they where later cleared by Kenesaw Mountain Landis and both played again but since they where accused should they be removed from the hall on suspected guilt? If they both played today with that hanging over there head's they wouldn't get in.PHD's have NO place in ANY sport but other player's in the past have cheated the sport in other way's and it's overlooked. I'm glad they are trying to clean up the sport but it's not always been such a honest game to begin with and to try to claim that it was is hypercritical. As for the voting let baseball people do it and get it out of the hands of the writer's who have no business doing it in the first place.

BlackChevy14

SRD Member
Reaction score
It was a shame Biggio didn't get in on his first ballot, but he's almost a certainty for the next couple years. Piazza and Bagwell as well.

At least we won't have to worry about no inductions next year. The question is, how close does Greg Maddux get to Tom Seaver's record percentage of the vote. I know some idiots will leave him off for their own little crusades, but I've got high hopes he will get close to Seaver. If he beats him, it would be such a thrill as he is my all-time favorite pitcher. Will be double the fun if Tom Glavine also gets in on his first ballot, and longtime Braves GM and current team president John Scheurholz - who along with Bobby Cox is responsible for taking the laughing stock of the National League and turning it into one of the most respected franchises in baseball - could also be inducted.

As for Murph, he came before my time (first baseball memories I can recall are '91, which was his first year with the Phillies, so I never saw him in Atlanta) but like everyone else I've been able to read about his domination in the '80s and hear from the Braves fans who went to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium in an era when they were putting such horrid teams on the field just to see Murph play. More than that, he is just the ultimate good guy, one of those superstars who doesn't act like it. He's an icon of the Braves franchise in the same vein as Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, and Chipper Jones, and hopefully the Veteran's Committee will correct his omission. Whether they do or don't, a plaque in some building in New York doesn't make a man. His character does, and Dale Murphy is a man we can all aspire to be like.

celticfang

Waffle addict
SRD Member
Reaction score
IMO Piazza should have been voted in, he didn't do any PEDs and was up there as one of the best catchers and hiters of all time (just as Mauer should be in when he's eligible).

The thing I don't get is why bar Pete Rose for what he did, yet have roid users on the ballot? IMHO using PEDs should be a lifetime ban from the sport and HoF

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
IMO Piazza should have been voted in, he didn't do any PEDs and was up there as one of the best catchers and hiters of all time (just as Mauer should be in when he's eligible).
That is what every one is shocked by. Him and Biggio have the numbers. Never been connected to PHD's. I am sure they will get in next year. I can not see them not getting in. While I was looking for the ballot. I came across who might be on the ballot next year. Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Among Piazza and Biggio. If they can not even vote one person. I have given up all hopes on the baseball hof.

celticfang

Waffle addict
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Frank will get in easily to be honest, he doesn't seem to fit the Hall's type of player.

Maddux, yes he should be in. Spahn is in. Why isn't Maddux? They are the winningest pitchers in the modern era. It's stupid both are not enshrined

Can the Veteran's Committee put anyone on the ballot in or have I got that mixed up? If so IMHO they ought to vote in Maddux, if they can vote more than one, Piazza as well as Maddux

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
There not in because there not eligible yet. Players have to be retied for a lest 5 years straight. They only select 5 at a time.

If frank is not a HOF guy. Then Biggio and pizzia are not also. Frank has over 500 hr, almost 3000 hits. With a 301 avg. There are guys in the hall with almost the same numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.