Downloads
Updated

NR2003 Crash Shot/Video Thread

nascarfan9

Vito Crowleone
SRD Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the advancements in safety on these cars including shock absorbers
Wow, I had no idea shock absorbers were a safety advancement in the context of protecting the driver. o_O Consider my expressed shock at this information absorbed...

Thunder98

"Esteemed" Gen-Y Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea shock absorbers were a safety advancement in the context of protecting the driver. o_O Consider my expressed shock at this information absorbed...
Well front and rear bumpers are known to have them, I probably should've pointed that out specifically but you get the idea. Anything to make these cars sound safer with the chaotic spring Wilkesboro races I've had.

FillWarmer

SRD Member
Reaction score
One of the cut features from the ICR mod, instead of having it just lost in the ether never to be seen: fire effects during wrecks
Aw man, this would have been pretty neat to see. I'm assuming it just lagged too much?

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
Aw man, this would have been pretty neat to see. I'm assuming it just lagged too much?
No performance issues. It just didn't look good to the quality bar I wanted. There was no way to animate the flames so they are static on the debris pieces which looked tacky as the debris only last for a few seconds so the fire would pop in and out constantly, didn't look like fire at that point:
https://streamable.com/h1n29i

I actually had working animation code (no errors when compiling) but unfortunately make_a_pieces.3do does not have a way to have animations play so its as far as I could go. This fire effect is just one of the many failed trial and error tests I did with all sorts of things on the mod. I don't know what other untapped potential there is to try new things but I'll always keep seeing how I can do things different.

FillWarmer

SRD Member
Reaction score
No performance issues. It just didn't look good to the quality bar I wanted.
That makes sense. The video really shows why it wouldn’t have worked, I definitely see it now. It’s so interesting to see what people can make this 17 year old game do.

I’d love to mess with mod making one day.. sounds like a huge project lol..

Lastlap

SRD Member
Reaction score
Was it N4 or N2k2 that had basic fire like GPL? IIRC Papyrus removed it.

Lastlap

SRD Member
Reaction score
Was it N4 or N2k2 that had basic fire like GPL? IIRC Papyrus removed it.
Thinking about it, the fire sound played (then stopped/was extinguished) but no flame mips showed. Papy thought best not to have fire again in a Sim.

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
SRD Member
Reaction score
Yeah looks good in still images but seeing it in motion...good call on leaving it out. Would just look too weird.