1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

NR2003: Simulating the new Nascar Qualifying system

Discussion in 'Basic Tutorials' started by Mystical, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

As some of you have heard and are probably aware by now Nascar is changing their qualifying method for all it's series: http://www.simracingdesign.com/nasc...alifying-coors-light-pole-award-unveiled.html

Usually when something in Nascar changes everybody wants to know "can we do X in NR2003?" I know somebody in due time will probably start asking "is there a way to simulate the new Nascar Qualifying in NR2003?"

The answer is yes. I'm not sure if it can be done for online unless the save game editor can manipulate online qualifying order but at least for offline this system will work. Keep in mind it will require a tiny bit of manual work to simulate and some rosters needing to be created but nonetheless you still would get the same result as the real Nascar using practice/warmup speeds to dictate qualifying order. This is at least how I would do it off the top of my head:

Note: I didn't put this in the tutorial section as it's not really manipulating or changing NR2003. This is more of just an informative process. If a Mod feels it should go in the basic NR2003 tutorial section then by all means feel free to move it there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this demonstration I will go over how you would do the 3 round elimination setup. According to NASCAR Round 1 the top 24 cars advance, Round 2 top 12 advance, and Round 3 the 12 cars left sort out the top 12 starting positions. So if you add all 3 rounds up this would be: 19 + 12 + 12 = 43 cars total (a full NR2003 starting field basically).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So lets get started shall we?

First you need to download two programs: (if you don't have them already) called NR2003 save game editor: Homepage for jnelso99 and NRatings: Tjeuten.be | NRatings

Round 1 - Simulating Qualifying:

Start up NR2003, choose your series and track. Before you start the race set both practice and Warmup session options to be 25 mins long. This will simulate the time frame that NASCAR is allowing for round 1 of the qualifying session.

At this point even if your NR2003 carset has more than 43 drivers NR2003 has already automatically cut some drivers so the field is 43 max. Now go to warmup and accelerate the time a bit and export the data with the button called 'export. This will save an html file you can open up and see the roster. The purpose of doing this is to EXPORT the current roster so you know WHO is in the field. It is mostly just for people who have a carset of more than 43 drivers in a roster. If you don't do this and you restart NR2003 the game may choose a different driver that was not chosen previously. It's to avoid confusion as we continue the process.

All qualifying/happy hour exports are saved in your NR2003 directory folder call 'exports_imports' keep note of this as we advance.

Next choose happy hour session (reset the session if you accelerate of course). I will choose warmup but if you want to choose practice this may work as well (I think NR2003 can export practice lap times). Now run with all other 42 cars on the track for 25 mins in happy hour. Once the session ends that will complete round 1. Make sure to EXPORT the happy hour data now with the export button. Call it 'Round 1' or something you can remember.

Round 1 - Creating Roster:

Now exit NR2003 and open up the exported happy hour html file and NRatings program. Locate your current NR2003 carset roster and using NRatings (if unsure how to use NRating the are tutorials on how to use it) make a new roster that includes the LAST 19 cars in happy hour. So this would mean 25th-43rd in happy hour would be included in the new roster. Name the roster something like 'round 1' so you can reference it easily. After you have added the slowest 19 cars of round 1 make another roster. Name this one 'Round 2 entry' or something you can remember easily. Simply add the top 24 (basically all remaining cars from happy hour) into this roster.

Round 2 - Simulating Qualifying:

After round 1 is completed and you have successfully made the two new rosters it's time to hop back into NR2003. Choose the exact same track and change the practice and warmup options from 25 mins to now 10 min each. This next step is very important, make sure you choose the 'Round 2 entry' roster you just created (or whatever you named it as). This will tell NR2003 "I only want these 24 cars in the next race". Now go straight to warmup and run the 10 min session and race with the other 23 cars. Once warmup session is completed in 10 mins export that data and exit NR2003.

Round 2 - Creating Rosters:

Just like round 1 we will now go back to NRatings and make 2 more rosters: One for those cars that failed to advance and another for the top cars that move on to the next round. So make a roster for the 12 cars that finished from 13th-24th and name the roster something like 'round 2'. Next make a another roster for the top 12 (1st-12th place). Name this one something like 'round 3 entry'.

Round 3 - Simulating Qualifying:

Just like round 2 choose the same track, make practice and warmup setting 5 mins long each, and choose the roster called 'round 3 entry'. Run warmup for the 5 mins and export your results again. Congrats all 43 drivers have now qualified for an event! Now it's time to get all 43 drivers in the same roster and also place them according to the new qualifying order.

Setting the field for race day:

For overview we just ran 3 elimination rounds. Each roster shortened the field down until the top 12 fastest cars made it into the final elimination round which they all ran their laps to decide placing for 1st-12th in the race.

If you've done this correct you should have:
    round 1.html
    round 2.html
    round 3.html

All of these will contain the lap times for the warmup sessions. With this we can build a new roster to include all 43 drivers and then set the field according to the lap times. First open up NRatings. Make a new roster that includes ALL 43 drivers. First include from round 1 the 19 cars that finished last (25th-43rd). Then add round 2 drivers (13th-24th place), and lastly include round 3 drivers (1st-12th). It doesn't matter what order you add the drivers. Just make sure ALL 43 drivers are correctly added in the roster. Save the roster as something like 'Starting grid' or whatever you please. If you were unsure if a certain driver was needing to be added remember those extra rosters we made called 'round 1, 2, and 3'? You can use those to double check the right driver got in.

Now Start NR2003 again. It is important you now set your race options to how you want the race to be. If you are unsure or need to tweak the Ai to be better or slower now is the time to tinker with settings. After you are SURE everything is to your liking proceed to qualifying session. Run the most drunk lap ever ... it literally does not matter. But you do need to log a lap for data on your driver to be added to qualifying order so you can't just accelerate. Just make sure qualifying gets completed and sends you back to race weekend. Now SAVE race results. The button should light up next to the export button and it will confirm 'results from qualifying have been saved'. Proceed to exit NR2003.

Now comes the easy part. We've gathered all 43 drivers in one nice and neat roster, we have fake qualifying data, and we know the happy hour laps times for all 43 drivers. All that is left to manipulate the qualifying results data to mimic the happy hour elimination round order.

Open up the NR2003 save game editor program. Locate your NR2003 qualifying result .svg file. If you are unsure where the svg files are save they are in your player folder data. For example mine would be in: G:\NR2003\NASCAR RACING SERIES 2014\players\Driver__Name\savegame. It will be pretty obvious what svg files you are looking for as the dvg files will be saved as the same name as the track you qualified on.

Now up up the svg file and using the save game editor re-order the driver positions according to the happy hour lap time with the fastest driver starting in 1st and the slowest in 43rd (of course. After you've made sure all 43 drivers are in their correct starting positions simply save the file and exit.

That's it! The field is set and next time you go into NR2003 the starting grid will reflect laps times based off of happy hour. If all went correct when you choose to load the track NR2003 will prompt you if you want to 'resume saved race'. Simply click YES and it's time to go racing. Best part is you can still do warmup before the race and then go actually racing but the field's qualifying order is set so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I hope this helps anyone who was wondering how it could be done. Maybe there is another way but it doesn't get much simpler than this. In short it's just running 3 separate happy hour sessions with select rosters then manipulating one qualifying result file to mimic the happy hour lap times really.

Dom, Lenny, leger33 and 9 others like this.
  2. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

That's cool. Maybe someone will be able to come up with an easy program to quickly make the rosters etc eventually.

Mystical likes this.
  3. Cowboy

Cowboy Well-Known Member

Wow that took some thought. I have printed it and will use it, but i hope someone
    comes up with a program. will not be me i have trouble,
    using CS2
    well done Mystical.

Mystical likes this.
  4. LarryFoyt50

LarryFoyt50 OMG THIS PLATE!!!

Great info, Mystical. Sticked thread.

Mystical likes this.
  5. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

thanks guys =)

yeah it's not as frighting as the wall o' text makes it look. It's basically just running 3 simple warmup runs where you make sure to export the lap times after the session ends and then making a roster with all the same drivers. Then you just modify the qualifying results with save game editor and you've got yourself a qualifying order that was based off of warmup laps =)

Same thought process can lead you to do the daytona duel races for example to make the inside line and outside line starting grid. Instead of using warmup times though you just base it off of your race results from the two duels then use save game editor to make a new starting grid.

6. Mcc457

Mcc457 Well-Known Member

Really clever! Great job!

Mystical likes this.
  7. moab

moab Well-Known Member

good.. And in season mode? how to change rosters and starting th 2° and 3° round?

8. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

you'd probably have to use the same roster eliminating drivers in it until the final round. Then add all the drivers back and edit the starting line up that way.

I personally don't use season mode since there is no point. Score4 makes it much easier and includes more championship season data than NR2003's old season mode does.

9. Highbank

Highbank Trans Am Car Set Creator

Where can I find the "Save Game" program?

10. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Read my first post, the link is there ;)

11. moab

moab Well-Known Member

yup! i decided to do that yesterday. that's better than the old one season mode. Tks for ur time and the quick reply.

12. moab

moab Well-Known Member

i think we need to do a big update in order to give a new global revamp to nr03. I saw that made by a community in a GT sim i use, so i dont think we need the licence to do the same in this one. Am i wrong?

13. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

NR2003 cannot be updated when it comes to the exe at all. It's strictly forbidden because iracing owns the rights to it and they have gone after people (full scale lawsuits) on people who hacked the exe of NR2003.

The most we can do is make new tracks, paint cars, new carsets, modify the UI via the lyt files, make new sound files, and anything else that doesn't go near the EXE.

I'd say that is a good deal if you ask me that Papyrus was gracious enough to allow the community to mod NR2003 so much and when iracing took over they didn't halt any of us from having fun. For the most part NR2003 feels like Nascar in 2014 minus a few obvious rule changes but overall I highly enjoy racing in NR2003 for hours on end compared to those arcade console Nascar games we get year in and out.

14. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder "I can shotgun a White Claw."

But is it legal for someone to create an additional exe? Because I know there are people that are smart enough to create such a thing. I remember a guy talking about WoW, I think, and how he had additional exe files that would then alter the game, instead of editing the exe, which is illegal. I don't know, anybody got anything to say about that?

15. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I don't know if having something like a script extender or new exe that attaches to NR2003's exe would be illegal. All I know is iracing doesn't want the original exe modified, moved, or tampered with in any way, shape, or form.

16. moab

moab Well-Known Member

Ok that was just an idea (a question)That sim I was talking about is not nr03 and i did not want to say you make a bad job... Anyway now I have another reason to hate iracing. (n) I also think nr03 is the best nascar sim ever. We have to thank you for that.

17. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 306 Wins | 16 Championships

I brought that up some time ago in a seperate thread. Creating a script using a scripthook to point at the original EXE while allowing the script to run.

1 person likes this.
  18. moab

moab Well-Known Member

So it is possible. DFR is one of the things we really miss yet. Would be nice do that. Fine. But this work has been done or were just a your idea? If you know something about that, can you keep me posted via private message? Thank you very much.

19. Jr_Fan

Jr_Fan Retired Full Time Painter

Great idea Mystical just wish we could get more then 43 cars on the track at least 44 so you could have 43 + yourself.

20. moab

moab Well-Known Member

Guys, I tried it out. It's funny qualifying in this way, simple to do, just you have to be careful a bit then you make the habit and after some times it's a walk in the park. (y)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.