1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

NXS19 Mod Thread

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by MattyO, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

I have only been involved in modding for a few years, But not with nr2003 so far. I can say that there are still mods (even nr2003 ) being made behind closed doors to avoid the way in which some people believe modding must work when they put forward their ideas. Best to let the modders do what they can. I look forward to seeing the final released version.

2. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

Here's a bit of advice for people bitching about not getting the Camry... SHUT THE F*CK UP! If you dont like the idea that we're getting a Challenger instead of Camry, dont download it! This is what has started to kill the NR2003 Community people griping about wanting this, needing that, I want it done this way and not your way etc.

At the end of the day, we need to be appreciative that @MattyO @Smoke OR Cosmin etc for continuing this game on....

3. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Oh boy, look what I started.

Let me try to squash this. When we decided to do this, it was discussed as a quick fix so we could have a new toyota in the game. Then we discovered the camaro nose had changed. Then I opened my big mouth and asked if anyone else saw some tings they didn't like about the mod. That was a mistake.....

So, what turned into a quick fix is turning into a full blown project. We've already got 2 full blow projects we are working on. So you can see our hesitance to pile on more work. Kinda my fault since I was the one who asked if anyone found other issues they saw they needed to be fixed, but I was thinking in my head minor details, so, yeah, my bad.

However............... I do get a little irritated with someone who hasn't posted here often, hasn't been involved in this thread or discussion, then his first post in this thread is to complain. Maybe if it came from some of you already involved with the conversation, I probably would have read it, and moved on like I do most of the time. Hell, one dude signed up just to post that he doesn't like the cockpit. Haven't seen him since. Appreciate it! lol.

But to say you're "extremely disappointed"? I mean, do you need a safe space or something? We're trying to do y'all a favor so there can be an updated mod to play here fairly quickly and we can get back to what we were originally working on. Which if anyone was reading through the thread, would know that's what we are trying to do. And your first post in over a month here, not being involved with the conversation, and you're telling us you're extremely disappointed? Come on man.

We're not mad, not upset, not going to quit and take our ball and go home. We do this because for some reason, it's still kinda fun to do. I don't mind criticism, although I have never been good at taking it as much as giving it. But I have, well, we have, a mindset with making mods. They are made with the idea that we can accommodate most computers, and online racers.

[SPOILER ALERT] I do not care about those of you that stare at the cars going around the track looking for the most realistic experience as you take in every detail on the outside of the cars and every detail of the tracks.

I am old school. I am from the N2 days. Where you get in the cockpit, and go race with your friends online. We didn't care what the cars looked like, what the tracks looked like, or where we raced, we just wanted to hop online and race each other. A good looking cockpit was always a bonus, as that's where we all raced from. Sorry roof riders, not a fan of that either.

Have I offended enough people now? lol. Now, I do enjoy painting some cars every now and then. It's always cool to see everyone's custom paint job that I raced with online. But don't you hand out some 10mb car file to the rest of us before we get online and bog down our systems! lol. Like I said, old school.

Now, saying all that, we don't want to release a pile of shit either. Although, reading the Facebook groups our mods are inaccurate anyway. But in this business, you can't please everyone. You just can't. So we will continue to make mods the way we want to make them. We are not that interested if you feel our models aren't smooth enough, accurate enough, or our templates don't have enough contingencies, grouped layers, or enough grill configurations or whatever. Our models and our templates are made so that every PC can use our mod, as well as every end user can use either PSP or PSD. As soon as you use a layer mask, or group a layer, you just completely screwed every painter that doesn't use Photoshop. So when I am making templates, it's irresponsible for me making a template not to think about that.

So.......everyone know where we are coming from now? Hopefully we will have a Toyota, the new one, finished shortly. The Camaro is done and will be put into the game I think soon. I've wasted enough time, now I need to spend more hours of my day so that some of you can remain disappointed ;)

4. Skyline

Skyline Graphic Designer Skyline Customs

There you go Matt, put em straight

InsideLine likes this.
  5. NascarGuy42

NascarGuy42 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel that way, Matt. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut on this, nothing good ever comes out of trying to argue with people.

MattyO likes this.
  6. Smoke OR

Smoke OR Official Toad Hunter.

I see what you guys are saying but if using that reasoning then you would have to have 2 Toyotas and 2 Camaros because some teams are still using old Camry's as well as the Camaro's. So I am welcome to anyone explaining to me how to get 5 cars to work in game without having to do the wonky winmip hack that would confuse the hell out of most people... I know what Denis did back with the '11 mods but that's just so much overkill its not even funny. If we eliminate the dodge just how many people would beg for a mod with it in it? I'll give it some thought because everyone deserves to be heard and I value all feedback that you guys give us. At minimum 2 mods then then possibly the 3rd unless the vast majority would be to not include one of the dodges.

Alas we could just hold onto it until next year then the problem would work itself out.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  7. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 #50in07

I'm a fan of holding on to the Dodge even if it's not realistic. They're a staple in my offline sets, but if they're gone I can manage.

I still think the two-mod route is the way to go, one with a 2018 Camry as the fourth model and the other with a Hellcat or Challenger.

8. Smoke OR

Smoke OR Official Toad Hunter.

That's possible but not my call to make.

9. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I still say to stick with the Challenger, it’s always been my favorite model of the bunch and I don’t wanna rework my personal cars.

MattyO likes this.
  10. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

I am thinking I should apologize for my post, I never meant to create the idea of not doing mods in public so to speak. I am working on one behind closed doors, but that was a decision we all came to. Most of my modding (model building) is more towards modern sims like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. The mods made here with community input have always been winners, and the nsx19 will be just the same.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  11. MattyO

You can continue to argue if you want. It's just not going to do any good,lol. I'm quite certain everyone will be happy one way or the other with what we do. And some will not. That's the business of mod making.

12. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

Keep in mind guys, some people could win 100 million in MegaMillions and complain for having to pay 40 million in taxes. You just can't satisfy everybody. My theory has always been, aim to ones that appreciate your work (no matter what that might be). Forget the complainers. Most of them could no more mod than myself. If not for sites like this and modders of NR2003, I would have given the game up years ago. I appreciate anyone and everyone who has kept this game relevant over the years. Too often, "Dying" is the word I hear concerning this sim. Really? Dying? Not so much, and for that I am greatful. . I can wait for the "new" NXS19 mod. (But not too long, being almost 58 years old). Thanks guys. RESPECT!

13. daniele

daniele Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I write for the first time here. First of all thanks to those who work on this update. The work done to keep this game alive is incredible. I paint cars and obviously I am sorry if there will be no camry but I'm sure the end result will be great.

14. DaveO

DaveO Well-Known Member

@Rogue, I didn't know you were building models for Assetto Corsa and Rfactor2. I thought you were creating templates, and doing some painting on a few mods.. Love to see some ingame screenies of your models? Anyhow, very cool! Good luck with it mate!

MattyO and ShadowKnight508 like this.
  15. MattyO

I used to hate this part of building a mod, but now it's my favorite part.

[​IMG]

16. daniele

daniele Well-Known Member

A curiosity: how many hours of work do you need to build a mod? I believe so many ...

17. MattyO

Good question. I have no idea,lol. I'm a slow worker. So it takes me a while to do anything in photoshop. If we were to start from scratch, and really concentrate on just a single mod, which we did with the NWS11, it took 3 months start to finish. And that was working on it every night for 5-6+ hours a night.

It just an enormous task to build a mod. It really is.

18. Wheatenland

Wheatenland FSE Tracks

Looks good Matt.. I can see were this would be a fun part.. NICE.

Skyline and MattyO like this.
  19. Skyline

Skyline Graphic Designer Skyline Customs

How do you create shading? Always struggled myself...

20. MattyO

There is no 1 way of doing shading and highlights. I can only tell you the way I do it. I'm way oversimplifying when I say this, but you basically create a shape and fill it with black or white, then use the eraser tool until you get just the right amount of darkness or lightness for that particular peak or valley you are trying to shade or highlight.

Another option is to create a shape and fill it with the gradient tool. And use a black or white gradient. One side of the gradient has 100% opacity and the other end has 0% opacity. Basically it starts with black then fades to nothing, creating a nice clean shading or highlight.

Or another option is use the gaussian blur filter. This option can get messy unless you create shapes to keep it clean cut around certain areas.

Like I said, plenty of ways to skin a cat.