1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Paint Preparation.... How to go from blank canvas to snazzy design!

Discussion in 'Painting Cars Tutorials' started by Alan Harkleroad, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I already have both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro ;) I used to use them to convert files that the PSD plugin for PDN wouldn't open. I think I'll delve into trying a simple base paint in PSD today, is there a tutorial here on the basic, frequently used tools?

2. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

pomcat and RacerXero84 like this.
  3. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

Yep there is a basic one for ps and psp. My psp one is a video but i can convert it over to text with relative ease.

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Awesome, no need to convert, I've got 3 screens so I can put a video on one and paint on the other. Thanks!

5. Alan Harkleroad

My PSP Base creation for beginners. Goes over straight lines, lining things up and pen tool. All in one.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  6. aaa

aaa Well-Known Member

Hey Alan, quick question. What pixel dimensions do you use for the main door contingencies and for the front contingencies?

7. Alan Harkleroad

Depends on the team. HMS for example is 325 by 270 on the 2048 temp.

8. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

Hey Alan, I know you use PSP, so I thought I'd ask you.

I've been a Photoshop user, and I've been dabbling with PSP for the longest time.

I actually like using the Pen Tool in PSP more than in Photoshop, I feel like I have more control with it. One of my problems has been moving individual layers. In PS, if you have a layer selected and try to move it, it only moves that layer. In PSP, I seem to be moving actual template parts, instead of just the vector layer. Example attached.

ex 1.PNG ex 2.PNG

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

9. Alan Harkleroad

That happens sometimes. Not sure what causes it sometimes i will be moving a layered object and it will select something else and move that instead. Then i look and i am on a diffrent layer then i last selected.

Darren Ingram likes this.
  10. John Gamboa

John Gamboa The Mr. Sparkle of NR2003.

I've had that occasionally happen to me whether I'm using GIMP or Photoshop to paint with. The way to prevent that would be to lock the other layers (i.e. the Car Parts and Car Mask layers) so that you don't move that layer by accident. (Although I have read that you could still end up moving it by accident if you're using the arrow keys to move it instead of the mouse.)

Darren Ingram likes this.
  11. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

A little late to the party but this is a very good write up. I made the 2015 Crispy M&M's scheme using the whole logos first base second method and it worked really well. The proportions came out almost exact to the real car. Will be doing that on all cars from now on.

Also goes to show that everyone can learn from this!

Alan Harkleroad likes this.
  12. Titi Colectinha

Titi Colectinha Well-Known Member

Hello Allan, where I find this mirror option in photoshop cs6? Could you help me with an example ?! Thank you!!!

13. Alan Harkleroad

Free Transform, and then flip Horizontal or Vertical depending on where the paint is on the car.

14. Gene Evans

Gene Evans Well-Known Member

Excellent tutorial. My next car I am going to try it by putting my numbers and logos on first. I usually do the base first only to find out things don't line up right then I have to go back and adjust the base some more. Frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.