1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Paint Schemes that Never Were

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Junebugrocks88, Feb 16, 2017.

1. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

Also changed the number to Evernham style

2. rickmastfan67

rickmastfan67 Well-Known Member

2000 #41 Exxon car for Rick Mast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MDLDesigns

MDLDesigns Fictional Paint Extraordinaire

Yikes that's horrible lol. looks like an NT2003 or 04 scheme in the create a car function.

4. pshafer3327

pshafer3327 Well-Known Member

DEI had nothing to do with the number change, Terry Bradshaw wanted to run his football number, #12 ;)

5. pshafer3327

pshafer3327 Well-Known Member

A lot of these cars actually did run, but there is a bunch in there that are great finds!

6. alfiej

alfiej Well-Known Member

Here is Ray Evernham on the 46 DuPont Number for Jeff Gordon, and why it was changed to 24, and nothing to do with Ricky Rudd.
    Jeff Gordon nearly drove the No. 46 car if not for 'Days of Thunder'
    If it weren’t for “Days of Thunder,” Jeff Gordon would be driving the No. 46 car and not the iconic No. 24 Chevrolet.
    byJordan BianchiJan 6, 2015, 10:17pm ESTTWEET
    Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
    Ask a NASCAR fan the three most identifiable numbers in history and almost universally their responses, in some order, would be Richard Petty's No. 43, Dale Earnhardt's No. 3 and Jeff Gordon's No. 24.

But Gordon's former crew chief, Ray Evernham, revealed on Twitter an interesting tidbit about Gordon's iconic No. 24 on Tuesday. When Hendrick Motorsports initially decided to expand for the 1993 season and add a car for Gordon, the number originally sought was No. 46, not 24.

"When I went to work (at Hendrick), the general manager at that time, Jim Johnson, said, 'OK, your number is going to be 46,'" Evernham explained on Sirius XM Radio Tuesday. "And I think even our tools were identified with No. 46."

Follow
    [​IMG]ray evernham

@RayEvernham

Really, really rare pic. Yes our # was supposed to be 46.@JeffGordonWebpretty wild how things happen.

4:20 PM - 6 Jan 2015

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

Follow
    [​IMG]ray evernham

@RayEvernham

4:20 PM - 6 Jan 2015

The reason for the change, according to Evernham, was related to the film "Days of Thunder," which had been released just a few years before. One of the prominent cars in the movie utilized No. 46, and a licensing agreement prohibited a team from using the number full-time. Thus, Hendrick was forced to select a different number for Gordon to race.

"I don't know if it was a full-time licensing issue or whatever with the 'Days of Thunder' movie or Paramount or whoever, but we had to change to number 24 because we had actually built some and I think we might have tested some cars and actually had some cars with the number 46," Evernham said.

To this day Gordon has yet to compete in a Cup Series race in a car not adorned with the No. 24.

Hendrick would later run the No. 46 in the 1993 Daytona 500 with defending Indianapolis 500 winner Al Unser Jr., who finished 36th in his only NASCAR start. That same season, the team also attempted to field a car for Buddy Baker in the July race at Talladega Superspeedway, but Baker failed to qualify.

"We did a car for Buddy Baker because Buddy helped us a good bit on the speedway stuff when we first started and we had to run a car and we just slapped number 46 on it," Evernham said. "To my knowledge, it's the only time that we ever had a number 46 on the DuPont paint scheme (customarily ran by Gordon)."

7. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

@alfiej it has already been pointed out to me that it was Buddy Baker, not Ricky Rudd. I know that the #46 was the original number for Gordon, but I was specifically thinking about the car in the picture. That was the car they had prepared for Buddy Baker.

8. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

9. Eli

Eli New Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

GDP Racing likes this.
  10. SebaXRuiz

SebaXRuiz 4 Time SRD Pick'em race winner

I've a few ones.
    #29 Kevin Harvick Oreo car from 2001, This car was used as a show car in 2001 but never actually ran.
    [​IMG]
    Jeff Gordon's 2002 Looney Tunes car. Most remember for running in practice but never racing due to an accident.
    [​IMG]
    The Kyle Busch 2014 skittles with the rainbow running through the side.
    [​IMG]

11. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Just pointing out this was true when written in 2015. Gordon has since raced the #88 in relief of Dale Jr. in 2016.

The #46 DuPont car was Buddy Baker's ride. Hendrick had the ride and Baker wanted to attempt a comeback along with Neil Bonnet with RCR. Unfortunately Baker DNQ'd and Bonnet was killed the following February trying to make his comeback full time in Finch's #51. :(

12. matheus357

matheus357 Silent but present...

Jason Leffler was supposed to run this scheme in 2005.
    11fedex-side.jpg
    Also, for those interested, here's an article with information regarding Baker's failed race attempt with the #46 in 1993.

13. Bradfan4ever

Bradfan4ever The Keselowski Guru

I Think I still have those layouts you sent us... you did about 4 different companies we wanted to approach.

burtonbraves likes this.
  14. Junebugrocks88

Junebugrocks88 The Wanderer of Sim Racing

Jacques Villeneuve was supposed to drive this car part time in Xfinity in 2016, but the team never sniffed the track and hasn't been heard from since.
    msVpf0VymPbZv3ocPer9yj7UiVUZncgKE0j0U74stE0.jpg

Tetronix likes this.
  15. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

Don't think this version ever hit the track

13certainteed-r1b.jpg

BrendonH12 likes this.
  16. SebaXRuiz

SebaXRuiz 4 Time SRD Pick'em race winner

Recentlly. #43 Click n' Close scene in a Ford, before the Chevy transition.
    [​IMG]

GDP Racing and thedude1987 like this.
  17. thedude1987

thedude1987 Happy Husband, proud papa, racer, and designer!

haha good one! lol

GDP Racing likes this.
  18. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 SRD IndyCar Series Director

But the scheme's still going to run...

19. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 300 Wins | 15 Championships

If thats the case then the Jeff Gordon scheme with the 46, also ran....

Different manufacture....Different number....Tomato....Tomato.

GDP Racing, Shockey Rai and MWick4 like this.
  20. Shockey Rai

Shockey Rai EJ Strypes, NASCAR Furry.

Well, Its gonna run. Just not on a Ford. Lol