1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

PROJECT: Chapman Track Creator

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by TChapman500, Dec 19, 2017.

1. dacinch8

dacinch8 SLIDEJOB  億ド因

Wow. This can be way better than Sandbox, Actually. Can’t wait to try it out on my WIP racetrack!

TChapman500 likes this.
  2. TChapman500

TChapman500 Well-Known Member

Progress Report Time:
    I think I finally solved the problem with the editor's API, and I've published an early version of the API on GitHub (link on the official page). I'm currently working on (a) making the mesh generator feature-complete, (b) making a grid generator and (c) getting the track editor to utilize all of the functionality of the API. The New Project dialog box has been updated because the previous version was malfunctioning for some unknown reason. This community doesn't need to use the API right now, as I'm using NR2003 to test the API as I develop the track editor.

Also, everything about my website is working as it should. I even added a forum specifically for feature requests. Probably starting next week, I'll start posting updates on the official forum for the CTC in the appropriate thread as well as continuing to post updates here.

3. TChapman500

Progress Report Time:
    This week was spent debugging a few quarks of the MFC framework that was causing the track editor to misbehave. The good news is that it was just a single line of code that mapped a message to a function that the track editor was never going to use. This line of code is placed there for every "MDI" project using the MFC framework. That single line of code (and the corresponding function) has been removed.

It pleases me to report some very good news concerning the compiler that I'm using. Visual Studio 2017 recently got an update that fixed a problem that forced me to use VS2015. So now I don't have to use two different compiler versions on this project. Oh, and I finally got the old version of the track editor working again after trying desperately to figure out what was wrong with the new version. It's coming to the point where I could just delete the old version and it wouldn't affect the project at all. I've kept it all this time more as a reference in case something goes wrong. But now, because the new version has all of the features of the old version, I almost don't need the old version anymore.

The API got a major update as well. There are now more functions and more options to configure. Plus there's a brief tutorial on how to use the API on the GitHub page. I also have been using NR2003 to test the API functionality and it appears to be working perfectly.

The Chapman Track Creator now has multi-threaded rendering implemented. That said, I'll be implementing a way for the track editor to update and send the generated mesh data over to the DLLs to be rendered. Now that the API seems to be working fairly well, I have been adding stuff to the UI to allow the user to change how the track is presented to them. Also on the topic of mesh generation, I've made a few changes to the event system that will make it easier for me to get the various objects to communicate with each other. I guess I should also implement a way for users to add stuff via the viewport now that the new rendering system is working. But first, I'm going to finish-up the mesh generator.

MrDude68, Mcc457, nj9703 and 2 others like this.
  4. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

When this project is out of the beta stages and you plan to finalize the UI if you need someone to create any logos, desktop icons, startup screens, or other images for the program I could definitely help with that (if you want the help of course).

InsideLine and RacerXero84 like this.
  5. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

I will be watching your progress with great interest. It's no secrete that editing cameras and pit stalls for this game can be an absolute bitch. Checking such changes in real-time has been an NR2k3 dream of mine. Though regarding LP files how do you plan on going about creating them? I can see using a path tool like system with points that you can add to make it as smooth as possible. But then there is the main AI raceline which requires you to actually drive the track.

I just thought of something that could be handy. Ghost cars. Ten cars max. Generic low poly stock car shape.

Uses:
    Checking the alignment and spacing of each individual starting grid and pit stall positions in relation to adjacent stalls.
    Examining width and potential race-ability of a track segment. Ghost cars would only be a stationary guide.
    Checking changes to the camera angles. Ghost cars could either be single file(user specified drafting distance) or side by side(user defined lateral distance) along an LP line of your choice. 100mph max speed?

Definitely not a must have but if you deem it reasonable then cool.

6. TChapman500

Logos and desktop items I will need help with. There probably won't be any start-up screens though, but there will be icons on the buttons that I would like help with. I can send you a copy of the ribbon as well as the image used for the Scene Explorer icons and the ClassID enum.

Thanks.

Which is exactly why I want this track editor to be able to do exactly that!

I'll probably have a mixture of auto-generated AI lines and Bezier curves to tweak what's generated. I noticed a while back that the simulator tries to predict the maximum possible speed down the LPs that you drew with the car. I may try doing the same thing.

That's an idea, but I'm thinking that the max should be the number of vehicles supported by simulator plus the pace car.

For the first point, I intend to have a at least a rectangle drawn around the stalls as well as an additional buffer rectangle for stuff like stall entry, exit, and space between the car and the wall. Though I like the idea of using ghost cars for this. I also like the idea of your second and third points. But if I can get the correct speed predictions on the LP files, then we won't need an arbitrary maximum speed.

USSTalladega and Mystical like this.
  7. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Sounds great. I can always mock up real quick placeholder images for you and we can refine them as the project goes. I can format the images to almost any standardized file you need that most programs would be compatible with as well.

NascarMan32 likes this.
  8. USSTalladega

That all sounds great. You are a trooper for even attempting to take on such an endeavor.

9. TChapman500

10. TChapman500

Progress Report Time:
    I haven't been working that much on the track editor this week. I've been busy with other stuff. But I have learned something interesting this week: With the spin control provided by the win32 API, clicking the up button decreases the value and clicking the down button increases the value. Go figure. All this means is that I had to swap a couple of operations to get the correct behavior. I'm hoping to get a little bit more done before the end of the day.

USSTalladega and RacerXero84 like this.
  11. TChapman500

Apparently, the last update didn't make it onto this thread, so here it is:
    Anyways, here's an update on what's been going on these past two weeks: I've been rather busy with other stuff and haven't worked on the editor at all last week, and only the past day this week. I'm was hoping to be able to test the grid generator, but the DLL I'm using doesn't have all of the correct code in place. That should be an easy fix though.

By the way, I've made quite a few changes to my website, so I've updated the links on the first page of this thread.

12. USSTalladega

Keep at it dude!

13. TChapman500

Thanks.

I finally got the viewport parameters right. Here's the result of the grid generator when the renderer is slightly misconfigured:
    Generator_Shot.png

14. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Very nice, the interface reminds me of the 3DSimEd3 program for NR2003 which is cool. Does this mean the windows can be undocked for those of us using multiple monitors?

15. TChapman500

Thanks.

I have not tested the application with multiple monitors, but I don't think that multiple monitors would be a problem. The viewport and ribbon are the only things that cannot be undocked and moved to different locations. Speaking of which, I have made some adjustments to the grid generator.
    Generator_Shot_2.png
    The colors aren't configurable though the track editor yet, but they will be soon enough. Anyone want to guess at how many mesh groups are in the above screenshot?

16. TChapman500

Progress Report Time:
    I finally got enough of the API done to test the grid generator. It works perfectly. The grid can be rescaled, and the overhead camera can be zoomed and moved just like in Sandbox. I've been trying for a little while now to fix an issue with the diamond being in the wrong place when the camera is moved, but other than that, everything is working perfectly. A screenshot has already been posted above. I'm hoping to be able to get that last kink out of the display by the end of the day, then next week I can work on displaying the track wireframe.

frow78, Mystical and USSTalladega like this.
  17. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

For the viewport movement will it have more intuitive controls? Sandbox's key commands for moving was pretty silly where you have to use the mouse and press a key that would move the viewport to wherever your mouse was. Being able to use like FPS controls (WASD) or the arrow keys would make so much more sense. For the 3D Viewport it would be cool to allow the user to be able to keybind what they want for panning, zooming, and rotating. Coming from a 3D modeling background I always feel comfortable when I can map the keys to fit like the Autodesk Maya control scheme.

18. TChapman500

The plans I had in mind were to implement mouse movement of the viewport camera like 3DS Max for the overhead view. I had also planned on having a 3D view like 3DS Max in addition to the Sandbox-like 3D views. But I think that programmable key bindings are a good idea. For now though, panning and zooming is done just like Sandbox, but smoother.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Mystical likes this.
  19. James76

James76 Well-Known Member

A feature I would love to see regarding the camera movement. In sandbox it can be VERY difficult to make small movements to get in close to check alignment of things in 3d view. A way to adjust the speed of the camera movement would be an ideal solution!

J.R.Franklin likes this.
  20. TChapman500

In Sandbox, this is done via the "+" and "-" keys. It even tells you how fast the camera will move in the top-right of the screen.

HJimenez42 and James76 like this.