Latest resources

FreeCamera NascarMan32
A new, working camera editor for NR2003!
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - BRIS2 Hendrick9Fan
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - BRIS2
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - DAY3 Hendrick9Fan
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - DAY3
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - KAN1 Hendrick9Fan
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - KAN1
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - TEX1 Hendrick9Fan
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - TEX1
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated

RAB Racing signs Milka Duno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Slaughter

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
RAB Racing announced Monday that it has signed Milka Duno to compete in select races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series this season, which would make her the first Hispanic woman to drive in a NASCAR national series event in the United States.

Duno, a native of Caracas, Venezuela, is scheduled to drive the No. 29 Toyota for team owner Robby Benton. Chris Rice, RAB competition director and a NASCAR.com contributor, will serve as crew chief.

"We've watched Milka develop in the ARCA Racing Series and feel she is prepared for the next step in her stock car racing career," Benton said. "I think that working together with Chris Rice, Milka can find a home in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. She has a very strong fan base and we hope we can attract them to follow her in her NASCAR endeavors."

More: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rab-racing-announces-female-driver-171100402--nascar.html

Alonso2005

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn
SRD Member
Reaction score
Just a remember of how was Milka on IndyCar:
A news release from the IRL stated that Duno "requires immediate and substantial improvement to her driving during the remaining events on the 2010 schedule," adding "if the improvements are not met, the league may impose other penalties at its discretion."
Duno has been consistently the slowest driver at every IndyCar Series road race, usually by a comically large margin. In fact, Duno is often slower in a 650-horsepower Indy car than most of the field for the Indy Lights training series, which features cars with only 425 horsepower.
At Edmonton, for example, Duno was 6.3 seconds slower than the fastest practice lap turned by Castroneves. More significantly, she was 4.6 seconds slower than the next slowest entry, the A.J. Foyt Racing machine driven by Vitor Meira. Comparing apples to apples, she was 5 seconds a lap slower than her Dale Coyne Racing teammate Alex Lloyd.
"I don't pay attention to what others say," Duno told reporters at Edmonton. "It's a very competitive championship and it is very tough, especially for the people like me that was not there before on many tracks."

burtonbraves

Fictional Extraordinaire
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm all for new drivers entering the series on semi-competitive teams...but Milka? She's a bull in a china shop judging from every race I've seen her in. Still...wish her luck.

It'd be cooler to see RAB join with another small team to make a bigger, better competitive operation.

Chronos

Bender of Fenders
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm glad there's going to be more competition for last place now.

Sgt Slaughter

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I have a small feeling she will become a Steve Wallace type... shows potential, but wrecks way too damn much.

canadienhits

The Dominator, Cup champ.
Staff member
Paint Crew
Reaction score
Yea, I get that feeling from her as well. She played second-fiddle to Danica in IndyCar. Don't think she'll be much of a driver in the Nationwide series.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like she'd be perfect for a start & park team.

Hendrick4life

319 Wins | 16 Championships
SRD Member
Reaction score
Not much to see here folks, move along....

Maybe she will pick up Stock Cars better than Indys but only time will tell. Dont knock her just yet guys.

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, it will be interesting to see how she does in decent equipment in the "limited" number of races that she will take part in. Not expecting much from her, but I do wish her the best of luck in her endeavors.

nascarfan9

Category 5 Punicane.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Ah, the joy of seeing this news on twitter...

Here is the tweet put out by Fox Sports: NASCAR:

@NASCARONFOX said:
Ex-#IndyCar driver @MilkaDuno is joining the @NASCAR_NNS. Is she the new @DanicaPatrick? Hispanic female driver to run select NASCAR Nationwide Series races | FOX Sports
To which Jenna Fryer replied:

@JennaFryer said:
Is this a serious question?
XD

We'll have to see how well she does (if well at all). Both articles from Fox and the OP mention her pole run at Talladega in ARCA, but lets not forget that result:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F7pjk14pKA]Huge crash in Talladega ARCA race - 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Will certainly be interesting to watch for sure.

4WideRacing

Forum Guru
SRD Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting. I thought she was okay in ARCA. I hope she does okay.

ChevyMan150

SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, if her ARCA results are any indication, this should be fun: 47 starts, three top-tens, one pole (even though Racing Reference gives her credit for starting 1st for 2011 Toledo but it doesn't give her credit for the pole, so she may have two poles) and only four lead lap finishes. This was while racing for Venturini Motorsports (22 race wins) Eddie Sharp Racing (2009 Championship team) and Patrick Sheltra (2010 Championship team).

I would love to give her the benefit of the doubt but I just can't. Put Johanna Long in the car instead!

WILDISH

Days Gone By
SRD Member
Reaction score
Robby Benton is assuming she'll attract attention because of her sex. Right? Kind of like Patrick. I can't think of any other reason to give a subpar ARCA driver an opportunity like this.

dalejrgamer

$9.99/mo
SRD Member
Reaction score
For those who follow her in IndyCar, it's best if you watch her "highlights" while drunk.

DanAsher26

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
"It's nice to see that John Wes Townely will have some competition for most cars destroyed in a season...and Milka will run 1/4th the races he does." -quote from Skype call

FloridaFan88

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
We'll probably see a CITGO-sponsored car back on the track again. It's been 11 years.

sennadowg316

SRD Member
Reaction score
Milka Duno? Didn't she once crash into the race leader at Le Mans while wearing a slightly modified Mika Hakkinen helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.