Race 16: Homestead-Miami - 2016

Discussion in 'SRD NNS Offline League' started by zaw24fan, Aug 15, 2016.

1. TColeman12

TColeman12 #HAVOCLIVESATVCU

"Here we go. Results are coming in."

Edit: Congrats to @frow78 on the owners championship.

frow78 likes this.
  2. frow78

frow78 I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.

We took home the Owner's championship and the team championship. I love it for the guys, they put in so many hours in the shop this season and we're finally reaping the benefits.

Muddslide likes this.
  3. zaw24fan

zaw24fan SRD National Series Director Paint Crew

And some final notes from the 2016 season...

Greg Woodard pulls off the upset and wins his first career SRD National Series championship. Woodard's win at Lime Rock Park was also his only top 5 of the season. Two of his three top 10s of the season came in Chase races, Indianapolis and the championship race at Homestead. Woodard was one of two Ford Performance Racing drivers in the Championship 4. Teammate Brendan Peavy joined Woodard in the championship battle, only to have a lackluster day and finish 25th. FPR announced that its doors were closing at the end of this season. What a better way to close out a career than with both points-eligible cars in the Championship 4, with one of them bringing back the championship trophy?

The owners championship ultimately came down to two teams and just four points. 2015 driver champion Trey Coleman and 2016 Championship 4 contender Connor Root battled it out for the owner's championship, and a blown engine in the closing stages of the race for Trey Coleman handed the owner's championship to Connor Root's #1 Turn 4 Motorsports team by a comfortable 14 points.

Connor Mire didn't need a stellar run to lock up the Rookie of the Year battle, but J.R. Franklin still had a potential say-so in who wins the Rookie of the Year. While Franklin did make it interesting by battling up front all race long and leading 13 laps, Connor Mire made a quiet late-race charge to 2nd and walked out of Homestead-Miami with the Rookie of the Year trophy.

Strong runs all season long from Connor Root and Nick Flaitz with an occasional appearance from Scott Lounsberry locked up the team championship battle for Turn 4 Motorspots rather easily. While Nick Flaitz rattled off wins at both the season opener and the season finale, Connor Root relied on great consistency to make it to the Championship 4. Scott Lounsberry made some headlines as well through the season, topping it off with a pole in the season finale after winning that race a year ago. Oh yeah, and Connor Root's team won the team championship.

The manufacture battle was probably the best championship battle of all, but it always seems to be the most irrelevant. In what was surely the closest manufacture championship battle in SRD National Series history, the Chevrolet Camaro bowties took home the hardware by just two points over the Ford Mustangs, and just three points over the Toyota Camrys.

It was one of the more competitive and surely one of the more exciting SRD National Series seasons in the history of the series. Now we have to wait until February to see if the 2017 season could be even better.

Thanks everyone for all of your support and participation this season. I seriously cannot do this without you guys' participation. I can make these races as fun as I want to, but what makes it the most enjoyable is seeing you guys comment in the race threads.

See you guys in 2017!

FINAL 2016 CHASE GRID
    srd_chase_grid_final.png

4. KnightHoarder

KnightHoarder Well-Known Member

"Glad to have all 3 of my cars finish in the Top 10 in the Owner's Standings in my first season as a team owner! We ended the season on a high note with Connor and Adam both getting Top 5s and I came up short of a Top 10. There will be some changes coming to my team so stay tuned!"

5. UnfixingDuke24

UnfixingDuke24 SRD's Paint Scheme Lord

Seufert: "What a season. Thanks #80 crew. We accomplished a lot for a team like this. Lets get it next year."

6. SAL

SAL Well-Known Member

Congrats to Woodard! Hate it for Connor but good battle to the end. Nice to help Turn 4 bring home some hardware! Awesome run by Nick opening and closing out the season with a win! We came home 3rd with another strong finish to the season! Look forward to running my 3rd season in NNS. Roty last season, maybe something bigger next season!

Muddslide and frow78 like this.