rickmastfan67's Showroom (showcasing the 2001 9/11 Carset)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by rickmastfan67, May 9, 2013.

1. rickmastfan67

rickmastfan67 Well-Known Member

So, some of you might have been wondering what I've been up to as of late ever since I disappeared from the NR2003 scene.

Well, I had a massive painters block and just didn't feel like doing anything NR2003 related. I know some of you have had that happen as well in the past. From '08 to late '11, I pretty much didn't do anything NR2003 related. Then in late '11, I started to take a closer look at my previously released 9/11 cars and began to notice mistakes I had made on them in the past. So, I've been working on creating new decals, base schemes, you name it, to fix previous mistakes on the cars.

One of those mistakes I'm willing to admit I had right off the bat was having the wrong outline color around the roof number on the #19. Can't believe nobody called me out on that back in the past and it took me this long to find that kind of glaring mistake. #facepalm

Anyways, I think that's enough chat for now. I'll start showing off some of the overhauled 9/11 cars here in this thread (and maybe some other stuff in the future, who knows).

Today, I'll start off with the #25 and the #40 (Kansas) cars. Some of the upgrades to them are including the following:

#25:
    [​IMG]
    Old previews: [1] [2]

Some of the fixes include the following:
    Base redone from the ground up.
    Brand new numbers.
    Brand new Quaker State logos that are accurate to the 2001 season (also on the 2000 Hendrick cars). Some people might not have realized the way the tail goes on the "Q" in the word Quaker. It seems that the Hendrick cars used a different style for it compared to packaging for Quaker State at that time. Funky, right?
    The car had two different "Delphi" oval logos on the car. One for the hood and B-Pillars, and then a different one for the trunk (the same one they used at the start of the season).
    Also fixed a glaring error where I had the UAW and Delphi logos on the trunk on the wrong sides. Whoops.

#40 (Kansas):
    [​IMG]

Base redone from the ground up including adding the 3 missing stars on the roof of the car. Also fixing the stars on the hood area to work with the nasty front fenders warp problems of the original templates.
    Brand new numbers.
    New "USA" text on the car after I was able to ID the proper fonts (thank you to the people @ WhatTheFont for that).

Don't know where or when I'll post the updated versions of the cars, but hopefully in the future I'll figure something out. :)

=====

Here is where I'll put all of the mass credits that will be universal over all the cars unless noted in an individual post for my 9/11 set:

Templates:
    Pontiac: Jason_RSC's template with a few custom modifications
    Chevy: From TFR (at least I think it was from there) with some custom modifications
    Ford: Original BS template
    Dodge: Original BS template, but the front-end heavily modified by me to convert it from a 2003 Dodge into a 2001/2002 Dodge with his permission (you can find it for download @ Masgrafx).

Logos:
    BOTW
    Google Search
    Turn 4 Graphics
    FW2
    Masgrafx Racing
    Sim Racing Design
    DERacing
    and many more that I can't remember unfortunately, but I do appreciate the help in the past.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Jordan Clarke

Jordan Clarke Well-Known Member

Those are outstanding man! Glad to have you back!

1 person likes this.
  3. Breeze812

Breeze812 Well-Known Member

Looking good.
    But... do I notice something on the 25 car..?? Looks like the numbers on the left side are a different height than the numbers on the right side. And is the 1-800 number missing from the left side?

2 people like this.
  4. rickmastfan67

The 1-800-# is on both sides. Just hard to see on the render, but it is there. ;)

As for the #25, that's how it was on the car at Dover right after 9/11. Can't explain why they did it that way, but they did. Here's a cap from the race, and you can clearly see the numbers on the right side below the yellow line.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    I've just added mass credits for all the people who have helped me on more than one car. Otherwise, I'll mention people individually in each post about a car if they've helped me out! I do know that I did lump a few people in together with a main site in my main post, but I still appreciate their help on decals and stuff! :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  5. rickmastfan67

Here is the next two cars I'm going to show off. The Bill Davis Racing teammates of #22 Ward Burton and #93 Dave Blaney.

#22:
    [​IMG]

Base redone from the ground up.
    Brand new numbers.
    Several sponsor decals redone in vector format and ported over to PSP for the car.

#93:
    [​IMG]

Base redone from the ground up. Especially to fix up the "curve" of the colors up the C-Pillar.
    Brand new numbers for the 2nd time, heh. Yeah, I wasn't 100% happy with the ones I had made for the last version of this car and that are posted currently @ Masgrafx.
    Added missing "Ultimate" text to the BP logos on the rear. (At least that's what people think the text was beside the BP logo. There is no conclusive pictures showing what text was there. And only a handful of races did the BP logos have that text. I think 90% of the Amoco sponsored races had that logo without the "Ultimate" text on it.
    Brand new "Amoco" & "Amoco Ultimate" logos with proper fonts to make them accurate.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    4 people like this.
  6. Jr_Fan

Jr_Fan Retired Full Time Painter

They look great bud!

1 person likes this.
  7. rickmastfan67

Alright, here's the next one I'm going to show off. It's the #21 Wood Brothers Ford of Elliott Sadler.

[​IMG]

This is one of the few cars that didn't need much fixing compared to the original release. About the only things I fixed up was the gray lines, a few of the associate sponsors, and the base on the rear of the car. Oh, and a better looking firesuit for Sadler compared to the "wtf" style I did have before (not visible on the render). lol.

3 people like this.
  8. rickmastfan67

Alright, here's the next one that I'm going to show off. It's the #14 Conseco Pontiac out of A.J. Foyt Racing driven by Ron Hornaday.

[​IMG]

The base scheme was redone from the ground up.
    Brand new numbers on the car.

One thing I'm not 100% sure on for this car are the colors they used for the scheme. This is one of the few cars out there that ran in 2001 where pictures from even the same races showed different colors for the car. One picture would show a light scheme, the next would show a dark scheme confusing the heck out of me. So, if anybody knows the 100% true color codes they used on the #14 car in 2001, please, let me know so I can once and for all, get the correct colors on this car. Thanks!

3 people like this.
  9. Jordan Clarke

Jordan Clarke Well-Known Member

Those look outstanding, especially on that render!

1 person likes this.
  10. nbaker9-91

nbaker9-91 Well-Known Member

Awesome work!

1 person likes this.
  11. Ben Althen

Ben Althen Well-Known Member

Really glad to see you are back at this James. I was thinking about this not long ago, and it's great you are continuing on with it.

1 person likes this.
  12. rickmastfan67

Thanks Ben. Yeah, if there is anything I'm really going to still do for NR2003, it's going to get this set finished. Just hated that I had a massive burn out when it came to NR2003 stuff for such a long time interrupting this set.

13. rickmastfan67

Ok, here's the next car that I'm going to show off. It's the #11 Ralphs Ford of Brett Bodine.

[​IMG]

The base scheme was redone from the ground up.
    Brand new numbers on the car.
    Several of the associate sponsor decals redone. (Special thanks to Petty4345 for the "The Wax Shop" ID)
    Corrected the font for the "GOD BLESS AMERICA" text on the rear of the car.
    Corrected the "TAURUS" text color on the front-end from white to black as it was on the car.

4 people like this.
  14. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

That conseco car looks great. I've always loved that sponsor and colors and always ran a fictional conseco car in my series. It just felt right to have Conseco in the field lol

Also cool to see the GNS/Regular cup mod being painted on still.

1 person likes this.
  15. rickmastfan67

Alright, here's the next cars I'm going to show off. They are the Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Pontiac's of #18 Bobby Labonte and #20 Tony Stewart.

#18:
    [​IMG]

Base scheme redone from the ground up.
    Brand new numbers created for the car.
    Created totally new Interstate Batteries logos (including the text ones) for the car.
    Corrected the angle of the Baltimore Orioles logo on the sides of the car.
    Created several new associate sponsors logos so I would have a better match to what was on the real car (Ditch Witch, Chef Boyardee, Food Lion, Akzo Nobel Sikkens)

#20:
    [​IMG]

Not much needed to be fixed on this one, but here are some of the minor fixes on this car:
    Fixed the base scheme around the C-Pillar.
    Redid the rear-end decal layout fixing up the stars and enlarging the "HOME DEPOT" text.

For this #20, I'm still not 100% happy with how the stars look on the front of the car under the headlights. Too bad that's one of the nasty warp areas and is pretty much impossible to overcome on the original Pontiac model. I mean, it looks pretty much ok when you're looking at it head on, but at an angle, it looks like crap as you can see above. Sigh.

unit, SpiderTre, TimDog51 and 2 others like this.
  16. psugorilla

psugorilla Well-Known Member

very nice work James

1 person likes this.
  17. SNL24

SNL24 Member

Nice work James!

1 person likes this.
  18. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

Great job!! (y)

1 person likes this.
  19. rickmastfan67

Alright, time to show off a few more cars. This time it will be the teammates of Penske Racing - #2 Rusty Wallace, #12 Jeremy Mayfield, & #02 of Ryan Newman (Kansas car).

#2:
    [​IMG]

Brand new car numbers.
    Fixed the red line and white area in the front of the car raising it.
    Brand new "Mobil 1" decals on the car.
    Brand new "CertifiedFirst" logo on the trunk.
    Fixed the "Goodyear" logo to make it flow better above the front wheels to match how it was on the real car.
    Just wanted to mention that I didn't make the Miller Lite logos myself. They were part of a Miller Lite decal pack that somebody (I can't remember who at this moment) made back near the end of 2002. If anybody remembers who made it, please let me know so I can properly credit them for those decals, especially the one on the side of the car. If this helps, the file name was "2_RWallace_carpack.zip".

#12:
    [​IMG]

Brand new car numbers.
    Brand new "Pegasus" on the sides attempting to make it work better with the nasty warp problems in that area of the templates.
    Darkened the "Speedpass" logos red color to match the red of the base scheme.
    Brand new pit crew (not visible in render).

#02 (Kansas):
    [​IMG]

Base scheme redone from the ground up.
    Brand new car numbers.
    Fixed the font for the "www.alltel.com" text on the rear.
    Tweaked the "ALLTEL" text on the sides to work better with the warp in that area.
    Added missing "Mobil 1" decal to the hood.
    Fixed the "Goodyear" logo to make it flow better above the front wheels to match how it was on the real car.
    Brand new pit crew (not visible in render).

1 person likes this.
  20. rickmastfan67

Alright, next car I'm how off is the #13 Little Trees Chevy of Hermie Sadler.

#13:
    [​IMG]

Brand new car numbers.
    Brand new custom made "Virginia Lottery" logo.
    Redid the "USA Flag" on the C-Pillar to get it to match as closely as possible to the one that was on the real car.
    Custom made rear spoiler design to match the real car as close as possible (not one of my strong suits to be honest).
    Added a proper looking firesuit to the "driver" part of the template.
    Fixed the pit board of the Pit Crew from the number to the "VA Lottery logo" based on a picture from the race I found (not visible on the render).