Updated

Ryan Reed to make #99 Talladega Start?!

kiboy04

Kiboy
SRD Member
Reaction score

Ahem, WHAT?!

[[ CREDIT TO FOXSPORTS.COM AND @CHASE_WILHELM ]]

Roush Fenway Racing driver Ryan Reed will attempt to make his Sprint Cup Series debut at Talladega Superspeedway in the Alabama 500 on Oct. 23.

It will also mark the return of the No. 99 in Sprint Cup competition, which was last driven by Carl Edwards in his final season at RFR in 2013.

"I am really looking forward to Talladega and racing in the Sprint Cup race," said Reed. "For anyone that has ever had the chance to get behind the wheel of a race car, the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series is the ultimate goal."

Reed will pilot the Lilly Diabetes-sponsored Ford Fusion, the same sponsorship featured on his No. 16 in the XFINITY Series. He currently sits fourth in the inaugural Chase grid after last Saturday night's first race at Kentucky Speedway.

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
Carl's last season at Roush was 2014.

Glad to see Reed get a chance. I've been wanting to see fresh, young faces in Cup for a while now, and we're finally getting it these past few years.

FastCat

SRD Member
Reaction score
Man, they need give Bubba Wallace a chance at Cup. I just don't see it with Ryan, I think Wallace is the better driver.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
^ Ryan Reed has the sponsorship. Hence, he gets at least this ride.

Chowda17

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Frankly, sponsorship is what it comes down to.

Bubba is who I'd rather see in that ride to show his true potential and get people talking on a national audience. He'd do well.

This is Reed's chance to prove me wrong.

Phoenix

Wheeze
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to say good for Ryan Reed, I'm excited to see him attempt Talladega, and I've been one of the louder people on the frequency of his crashes. It got to the point where I was egging on the top 10less streak, hoping for it to keep racking up. But this year, he's really turned it around, and has a career season in front of him.

Darrell Wallace will have his time, overdue or not. But it's Ryan Reed's time.

AMLNet49

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Frankly, sponsorship is what it comes down to.

Bubba is who I'd rather see in that ride to show his true potential and get people talking on a national audience. He'd do well.

This is Reed's chance to prove me wrong.
I mean this race isn't really an opportunity. It's his sponsor buying him a one-off Cup entry at a plate track which is basically "go have fun". If Wallace appears in the Cup Series I feel like it's more likely to be on a 1.5 miler or something where he can learn how to actually drive a Cup car.