42 - Clover Camaro - DOV1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Sandbox Decal Help NEEDED

IPugHD

SRD Member
Reaction score
I've been messing around in sandbox recently, but i have ran into a problem. Everytime I reload sandbox the ground decals disappear. But like the selection of where it is, is still there its just not showing the decal. Does anyone know how to fix this?

J.R.Franklin

SRD Member
Reaction score
This happens a lot. One of the things that causes it is that you have too many files in the folder of the track you are working on. Try culling out any and all necessary files that are in your working track folder. I use the NR2003 TrackDATter05.exe utility to periodically "weed out" any of those extra files from the folder of the track I'm working on.

I just did a quick Google search to see if I could find a place where this utility is still available and I came up empty. So I have uploaded it to my server at NR2k3Tracks.com in case anyone wants or needs it. It a very useful tool for people trying to build tracks for NR2003.

Here is the download link for it: http://www.nr2k3tracks.com/Tools/N2003TrackDATter05.zip

It also has instructions in the zip file. Hopefully this tool will help you solve your problem. :)

IPugHD

SRD Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
This happens a lot. One of the things that causes it is that you have too many files in the folder of the track you are working on. Try culling out any and all necessary files that are in your working track folder. I use the NR2003 TrackDATter05.exe utility to periodically "weed out" any of those extra files from the folder of the track I'm working on.

I just did a quick Google search to see if I could find a place where this utility is still available and I came up empty. So I have uploaded it to my server at NR2k3Tracks.com in case anyone wants or needs it. It a very useful tool for people trying to build tracks for NR2003.

Here is the download link for it: http://www.nr2k3tracks.com/Tools/N2003TrackDATter05.zip

It also has instructions in the zip file. Hopefully this tool will help you solve your problem. :)

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'll also point out to not just ignore this. If you keep going and get further by adding even more files, eventually you're project will stop loading them all together as if you never placed them at all. If you save the project, all those decals you placed that didn't load, they're gone. You'll have to re-add them again. Same goes for the 3do's, although I can't remember which are removed first.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'll also point out to not just ignore this. If you keep going and get further by adding even more files, eventually you're project will stop loading them all together as if you never placed them at all. If you save the project, all those decals you placed that didn't load, they're gone. You'll have to re-add them again. Same goes for the 3do's, although I can't remember which are removed first.
I know for 3do's when I hit the limit they would load but they appear invisible as only so many 3do's can render in the viewport. I mitigated this by grouping the smaller 3do's like light poles and stuff together to lower the count.

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
I know for 3do's when I hit the limit they would load but they appear invisible as only so many 3do's can render in the viewport. I mitigated this by grouping the smaller 3do's like light poles and stuff together to lower the count.
I think I just ran into something like this. I'm a little concerned as I still have a lot more to add. Wondering if I should keep going or take a step back and start removing instances now.
Did you ever notice any consequences other than them appearing invisible? Do they start deleting, or cause the project to be more unstable?

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
I think I just ran into something like this. I'm a little concerned as I still have a lot more to add. Wondering if I should keep going or take a step back and start removing instances now.
Did you ever notice any consequences other than them appearing invisible? Do they start deleting, or cause the project to be more unstable?
I didn't want more 3do's being invisible in sandbox so I went back to a lot of the ones I made and started combining them. Namely stuff like the light poles, barriers, etc. Anything that made sense to combine as one 3do (and it wouldn't go over the poly limit when combined) I'd combine to bring the number of individual 3do's down. From what I remember the 3do's would appear in-game but if I couldn't see them in sandbox that would annoy me if I needed to move them or make sure everything was in the right spot.

J.R.Franklin

SRD Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have already done this, but just to make sure...

1. Remove everything from your working sandbox file that is not necessary for the track you are building. Just have the track folder you are working on and the shared folder. That's all you should have in there.

2. Are you using anything from the shared folder in your track? If not, what I have done is make a separate shared folder with everything culled out of it except just those shared folder files that are necessary to open a track in Sandbox. In my case, those are just the sky.3do and all of the related mips that go with it. All other 3dos and mips are removed.

If you haven't already done that, give it a try and see if that helps some.

When I was building the new 2019 Stafford, I had this very same problem that you are dealing with (objects dropping from vision in sandbox, but still visible in the game). Stafford is just a little half-mile short track, but the day version is a 145 MB complete and the night version is a whopping 187 MB. That's huge for an NR2003 track by any standards. The greater the detailing... the bigger the track size... the closer we approach to hitting the limits that this sim will tolerate in the building process (i.e. sandbox). Especially when we are using hi-res textures and highly detailed 3dos.

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
When I was building the new 2019 Stafford, I had this very same problem that you are dealing with (objects dropping from vision in sandbox, but still visible in the game). Stafford is just a little half-mile short track, but the day version is a 145 MB complete and the night version is a whopping 187 MB. That's huge for an NR2003 track by any standards. The greater the detailing... the bigger the track size... the closer we approach to hitting the limits that this sim will tolerate in the building process (i.e. sandbox). Especially when we are using hi-res textures and highly detailed 3dos.
I think our smallest track doubles that size. The HD textures are killer.
I don't think it's number of files in the project. I have been clearing it out along the way though anyway. I'll keep dropping things out and see if it helps.
I think it's that I've placed too many instances. As an extreme example, I have 1 object in my project, but I've placed it 1000 times.

J.R.Franklin

SRD Member
Reaction score
I think our smallest track doubles that size. The HD textures are killer.
I don't think it's number of files in the project. I have been clearing it out along the way though anyway. I'll keep dropping things out and see if it helps.
I think it's that I've placed too many instances. As an extreme example, I have 1 object in my project, but I've placed it 1000 times.
WOW! 1000 placements of just one object! That could be the killer right there.

It was one object that was the demon in Stafford causing objects to drop out in Sandbox. I had probably over 70 separate Jersey barrier objects placed. To compound that, all of the Jersey barrier objects were dynamically lit. So I was able to combine all of them into 3 or 4 objects and that seemed to solve the issue.

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
WOW! 1000 placements of just one object! That could be the killer right there.
It was just an example haha. I just placed a lot of car and parking objects that I think put me over the edge. That paired with the many light objects at a large track like Daytona, I think everything just adds up over time.