1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

SBP Shutting Down Soon

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by MrDude68, Jan 10, 2017.

1. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

2. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Interesting, I thought they were beginning a revamp like a year or two ago. Not many track teams left so its sad to see another go. Just means more pressure for the few left to 'make everything'. What we need are new track builders and 3do artists coming in to fill the gaps. Is it a fear of learning how to build tracks or just time that sway many away from it? I hear a lot of requests for newer tracks but no one wants to actually do it themselves.

I'm considering making a full tutorial series like my 3D Coat video that goes over extensively everything on track building plus other videos on stuff like 3do creation (continue that one tutorial I did but in a a video). If it gets more people to make and update tracks then it would be worth it.

3. frow78

frow78 Well-Known Member

It's the time involved that turns a lot of people off of track making. Although tutorials coming from you would be very valuable, as you're one of the best out there with general NR2K3 knowledge.

thefaeway, Hendrick4life and Mystical like this.
  4. nj9703

nj9703 Kifflom

This. I've wanted to learn so much about track making, among other things, about this sim. I just don't have the time.

5. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 HACK THE BONE

They were a great resource, but it wasn't really a good idea to have us pay for stuff.

thefaeway, BXB148 and Hendrick4life like this.
  6. Thunder98

Thunder98 SRD Moderator Moderator

Luckily [for me at least] I was able to learn as I went. Took trial and error of course but getting the basics of PTF editing, INI editing, and LP editing were nice.

As for working from scratch... Yeah, up shit creek there. lol

Mystical likes this.
  7. James76

James76 Well-Known Member

Just an FYI I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon... The scratch made tracks are still being worked on and I will continue uploading videos on my channel. :)

8. HJimenez42

HJimenez42 Well-Known Member

So what about the Darlington, Texas and Phoenix tracks they did/are doing?

9. GurtonBuster

GurtonBuster I've never heard silence quite this loud

Time and sandbox but I'm still trying. Tutorials from you would be awesome. I'm not into creating/placing/whatever about 3dos and such, but I can lay down a layout lol. That's the problem I have. I like the eye candy but I don't want to take the time to go through all the work to get it. It's whats making me wonder if I should even release my track when I finish it because it probably won't have hardly any of that :/

DaveO and Mystical like this.
  10. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Sounds like for some its the learning but for majority the time it takes. Tracks do indeed take a long time to make (especially from scratch and large complex ones) but maybe I can try and alleviate some of that with some tutorials and showing ways to speed up the process more efficiently while not having to compromise the quality.

One thing that can make a track a lot easier to build is to in bits and start small. Its easy to get carried away and do something large like a speedway but I think new time track makers can get a lot of confidence if they start a small track and successfully finish it first.

11. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 Don't Lift

Holy shit I thought this said SRD.

12. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

Yeah, no. That's not happening anytime soon lol. :D

timnsr72 likes this.
  13. GurtonBuster

Yeah, the one I'm working on it just over a mile IIRC. Last I opened I was attempting pit road but it's been a while. After that I was thinking of just moving over original Papy 3dos and working on the AI.

14. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 299 Wins | 15 Championships

I think the biggest thing that anyone can do, while making tracks is to have a team. If someone knows they are good at something they can team up and work with someone whose talent is elsewhere. Not everyone has to do an entire track alone. Heck thats where these websites come in, most of the time its a team of people. FSE, SBP, Revamped, they were team driven.

Yeah I understand not everyone can be trusted, but if you know you have someone who has tested for you before, or helped you out in someway then heck why not team up with them. Testers, MIP makers, LP makers, 3DO creation and implementation all sorts of different things that are needed can be done by people. They may not be the fanciest at first, but at least itl be getting done and people are learning in the process.

Sad to see SBP go, but in the end some of their tactics did them in the way of support. These sites are expensive to run, but if you are able to rally people behind you they will be willing to donate something to keep the site up. Also if you do seek donations, a bar with how much costs are and where they are at for the month/year can be helpful.

timnsr72 and crazyboy335 like this.
  15. James76

James76 Well-Known Member

Believe the donate button had been around for several years. Prior to the premium member change. I know the amount donated for the entire time SBP was open was far less than $50 That doesn't even cover one year of hosting. Ah why am i wasting my time typing this?

Mystical likes this.
  16. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Yeah donate buttons really don't do anything. I was asked to have one so I did and provided reasons as why it would be good to donate. I think in the 2+ years its been up only 1 person donated. I'm fine paying for my servers/hosting though. But to think having a donate button on a site is keeping a place up is not really true. In most cases if someone is paying to host their site they are doing it alone without much help.

pomcat likes this.
  17. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 299 Wins | 15 Championships

Now im not just talking about pasting a button up, im talking about letting the community know how much it costs to have everything up and running.

The farewell message stated that there was not enough money raised and other comments pertaining to donations. Heck if I saw a website needed 10 bucks for the rest of the money I'd happily pitch in.

18. GurtonBuster

So you're talking adding a spreadsheet or something next to/near the donate button to show the community how much the owner is paying to provide the content? While I agree that it could be a good idea, I think we'd still have the same issue. People will just scroll passed it or their curiosity will be piqued so they'll click on it and see all the costs go "wow!" and carry on with their downloading.

19. Thunder98

Thunder98 SRD Moderator Moderator

Odds are they'll remain premium for the very few that are subscribers [since it's been said SBP isn't accepting any new subscribers]. Which will be a shame since hardly anybody will have an updated Phoenix.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  20. Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken Winner of the most KFC consumed in one day. Banned

Knew this would happen. Their "Pay To Download" thing was a MASSIVE mistake.