1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Screw Stuck??

Discussion in 'NASCAR Diecast and Collectibles' started by Julio Chang, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Julio Chang

Julio Chang On the list of Jericho

I purchased a Chase Elliott 2015 cup 1/24 scale. One of the screws was already partially loose and came right out, however I cannot for the life of me get the other one to free up and I'm running out of ideas. I really don't want to break the Styrofoam and I'm not sure doing so would actually help anyway, so does anyone have any tips for freeing a stubborn screw?
    Thanks.

2. Matthew124

Matthew124 Well-Known Member

This is becoming more and more common with the "new" boxes they're using. I've had the same problem with the last two diecasts I have bought and had no choice but to use a knife to cut around the "stand" that holds the screw and then us pliers to remove the whole stand/screw combo. I wish I could be more helpful other than telling you to cut/break the Styrofoam but that's the only way I could get mine out. :(

3. games123

games123 NXS & NCWTS Painter

Same with me, my KB Sonoma and Indy wins, one screw came out but the other I had to take a knife cut around the plastic screw thing. Then, I had to wiggle the screw/plastic thing back and forth until it came it. It also looks like the screw was glued to the car, not the plastic thing.

4. Julio Chang

Yeah, I've done some searching on forums and seen a lot of people that ended up having to break or cut the Styrofoam. I've tried the quarter trick some have suggested. I'm either doing it incorrectly or it just doesn't work for mine. It's incredibly frustrating. I may end up cutting around the plastic as I've seen a few people resort to, but man I'll cringe the entire time. I think it's even more frustrating because the screws really aren't necessary anymore. With the COT the wing was flimsy and could break during the shipping process. That's no longer an issue so it would be nice if they'd either scrap it or develop an alternative. The last couple I bought were display cars so I didn't have to deal with this. Oh well. I'm gonna come back to it over the weekend and try to free it up before inevitably cutting around the plastic.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Well-Known Member

My god I feel all the pain. All of my small screwdrivers are all stripped and broken because of these bloody models. I bought back 5 from America and only one of them unscrewed. I damaged two undersides trying to drill through the screws. I was upset with that, but I don't see the undersides. I'd soon turn to physically trying to snap the screws and plugs off. My first attempt went flawlessly and I thought that for a second maybe this is what I was meant to do, until the next one just got stuck. I've fully destroyed the foam of two of my boxes. Needle nose pliers shoved right in trying to reef the things out. Ugh. Glad it's not just me.. :D

6. Julio Chang

I ended up having to damage the styrofoam to get it out and replaced it with the Styrofoam of a car that I cared slightly less about. It hated to do it, but it was the only way I could get it out.

7. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

I have had to use screw extractors before, and also cut them out.