1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SRD Sprint Cup Offline League' started by Chevellion, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Chevellion

Chevellion Offline League Director

Posting and sticking this thread to allow for league (not silly season) discussion of season 7.

My goal is to get more people involved in these series, as we've seen attendance drop a bit. I'm willing to pick the reins back up again but I'd like your feedback on how we can make things better.

• 16 race season
    - 4 races at each track type
    - Track specialization selected by driver
    - 50-65% length​
    • Chase reintroduced
    - 12 drivers
    - Race winners + top drivers in points​
    - Cutoff after race 10
    - Eliminator round: 3 races
    - Contender round: 2 races
    - Championship round: 1 race​
    • Eligibility
    - One full season run in lower series AND/OR 750 posts
    - Drivers intending to run all 16 races will only be eligible for Cup points​
    • Ratings
    - Now a two tiered process
    - Driver ratings based on track specialization
    - Vehicle ratings based on forum participation
    - The more active you are on the site, the more vehicle points you receive
    - Activity based on discussion and positive feedback - post spamming/derogatory comments do not count and will result in mod disciplinary action
    Let the discussion begin!

2. nj9703

nj9703 Kifflom

I really like the idea of having forum participation count towards ratings, but I also don't at the same time. I know some people don't have the time to post a whole lot. I think it would become a bit unfair to those people that work or have school and can't find the time to post. Just my 2¢.

NJ

3. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

I like it, but then again I'm pretty safe at over 10,000 posts.....

I do like you coming back Kyle. You run the series well. Thanks.

4. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

I was thinking more something like this:

Schedule:
    -20 race season
    -5 tracks per type
    -5 race Chase (3 rounds, two rounds of two, plus championship round)
    -The final [number of contenders] each receive ratings bonus as if they choose 8 in the track type for final race, depending on where it is, with all 4 track types appearing at least once.

Eligibility:
    -Minimum 700 posts
    -At least one season of competition in another series
    -Rookies who are running the full season may opt out of running for points, but veterans MUST run for points if they go full time

Team Eligibility:
    -Owner must have minimum 1250 posts
    -Owner must be a Cup veteran, OR owned a team in one of the lower series in 2016 or earlier

Ratings:
    -Base randomization between 40 and 90 for Driver section ONLY
    -All manufacturers have a set min of 50 and a set max of 80
    -All pit crew ratings randomized between 80-100
    -Choose which driver ratings and track type to add 2, 4, 6, or 8 to (in addition to randomized result)

While some of the ideas you proposed are good, the last one where the "more active you are, the better your car runs" would only cause more problems than it's worth.

Also, I'd throw in Dodge as an available manufacturer, an All-Star event, and up to 4 schemes (but 3 sponsors MAX) for participants.... Just my two cents....

5. Chevellion

Could you clarify the last part your last comment @jacobc62 ? How would encouraging users to post more cause more problems?

6. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

It would be awesome to have you back running things Kyle, but everyone who helped this year did an amazing job!

My thoughts I love all the ideas for next season, possibly maybe 18 races?? I don't know I like that it is even but I wish there were more races but I know we all have lives outside the community so 16 works too, I am just selfish cause 2 more races this year might have made a difference in the championship haha.

I am in agreement with TruckSeries on the forum participation. I know for me spring and summer can get busy with my work schedule so I can't always find the time to get into the forums and post as much as I like to but I am flexible and will adapt to whatever rules are put in place. I would suggest that we need to be careful to not reward too much for posting. I wouldn't do something per post cause obviously some people post a ton more than others and you don't want to clutter up the forum too much with people just posting to post. I am thinking maybe something like if you make 1 post you get 1 point added to 1 vehicle category the next race, 2 posts adds 1 point to 2 categories the next race, and 3 posts adds a point to 3 categories the next week. That way the most posts you have to make is 3 but its not a huge advantage over someone who maybe misses that particular week.

TColeman12 likes this.
  7. Chevellion

Thanks for the input Dan.

I'm mainly looking for a way to reward people that visit the site more. It's not fair to those who enjoy the series to see their entries bringing up the rear when someone who's never around wins all the races.

8. jacobc62

To clarify: It's a mix of similar reasons to what @TruckSeries said, and the fact that, theoretically, it could lead people to start spam-posting just so they would start having better finishes. I've seen on other forums people starting to spam-post just so they could meet the requirements of forum games similar to the SRD Offline leagues. Mods on the other forum had to crack down on it. It wasn't pretty.

Then again, SRD and that other forum are ran differently, so for all I know I could be a rambling mad man....

9. Tetronix

Tetronix Winner of the Most Pepsi Consumed in a Year

I'm personally not on board with the number of posts to ratings situation.

Let's take a member like John Hooper Sr., who has over 10,000 posts. Say he was just above the post count, making him essentially underfunded, while 4WideRacing, who has 12,000+ posts would be top 3 every race because of it. There are also the people are online a lot, but don't post much on the site, it would be killer to them because of it.

I like the idea, but with the post gap so wide, I don't see it as a realistic change in the SRD Offline Leagues.

DropBack and TColeman12 like this.
  10. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

I agree. I'm one of those people who are usually on but don't post that much a day.

Now this is how I would lay it out @Chevellion - (taking a few things from Jacob's idea and adding my own)

Schedule: same as Jacob, 20 race season would be nice.
    -20 race season
    -5 tracks per type
    -5 race Chase (3 rounds, two rounds of two, plus championship round)
    - All ratings for drivers still competing for the championship at Homestead (or wherever the finale is) should be the same.

Eligibility:
    -Minimum 750 posts and/or have competed in a different series in 2016.
    -Rookies who are running the full season may opt out of running for points, but veterans MUST run for points if they go full time

Team Eligibility:
    -Owner must have minimum 1,000 posts
    -Owner must have at least 2 years of Cup experience (including drivers who participated in the developmental program that was ran the past 2 years. They can field a team.)

Ratings:
    -Base randomization between 55 and 85 for ratings in the driver section.
    -All manufacturers have a set min of 60 and a set max of 80 (This should even up the manufacturers and it shouldn't be one manufacturer winning every race.)
    -All pit crew ratings randomized between 80-100

11. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Willy B Baby

An idea for the forum participation stuff, instead of counting forum posts for the entire forum, maybe just count posts in the actual league threads. That way, no one will spam other parts of the forum, and if people are making no content posts in the offline league threads, you simply don't get a bonus. Just a thought...

12. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

I see most of your points, and I know being in the 10k club I'm pretty well safe, but here's something I think of to chew on.

In real NASCAR, there are always going to be the Jimmie Johnson's, Kyle Busch's, et al of the world who are in the top-10 on a weekly basis. Same that you'll NEVER see Josh Wise or Reed Sorenson win a race, let alone a top-10. I think in Kyle's format, you will see some of that, and maybe rightfully so. So, as a driver posts more, his ratings go up, like a guy who goes from being a rookie on FRM to driving for Penske and getting a top-10 every week.

That being said, I think we all want people to post more on the forums and become more active in the community. As a former series director, it burned my butt to have someone win a race who maybe did one post all week, or even a couple of times, none at all, even for a victory speech. I know there are some stand-up guys who don't post a lot, but they do get a ton of likes, which shows that they are well thought of members in the community.

Ok, enough of this old man's rambling. Carry on.

13. Chevellion

That's exactly what I'd like to fix @canadienhits .

I think limiting post requirements to just this subforum is a good idea @Darren Ingram . It would just go off of ones users made during the preseason and regular season (to eliminate the advantage users like myself and Hoop have).

16 is the magic number for races purely from a time standpoint. It takes a lot of it to run one of these leagues (as anyone who assisted can attest) so unless there's support running races, 16 is all I have capacity for.

I'm seeing some good points across the board here. Let's keep it going!

jgegner, DropBack, db512 and 3 others like this.
  14. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

I'm happy to help if the season is extended. I ran Talladega this past year, and was supposed to run Richmond but something came up.

15. nj9703

nj9703 Kifflom

You know, if you don't mind Chev, allowing 3 sponsors would be kind of nice. It's realistic for teams to have multiple sponsors over the course of the season, and it would also be a little easier for me (and likely others) to decide on sponsors.

It would also be interesting to have something like the Sprint Unlimited before the season starts, but that's just extra stuff.

TColeman12 likes this.
  16. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

Yeah, I have like 6 in National so I have one I'd like to bring up.

17. KnightHoarder

KnightHoarder Well-Known Member

I do agree with the forum participation deal but on the flip side it can get out of hand for one simple reason. People would come in and make a post every week all the time so they can get their points. I like to be active as much as possible. Granted, we all do have lives outside of this but if your going to commit to the series, you should be active. I do like the idea of have 3 sponsors instead of 2 because I like running different schemes instead of running the same scheme all the time but with different sponsors. Something I think would be fun is an all star race and if possible like the Bud Shootout/Sprint Unlimited to reward the pole winners. Maybe the possibility of heat races if that would be possible as well. Just some ideas to toss around.

TColeman12 likes this.
  18. Chevellion

If another user wants to step up to run the All-Star/Shootout races, that's awesome. At this time, that wouldn't be in scope for me, given my available time.

Same goes for multiple schemes. 2 will continue to be the limit for standard Cup races, as I don't have the time to juggle 5 different schemes from 40 drivers. I'm open to a 3rd scheme for the exhibition events, but that piece would need to be owned by the user running those races.

TColeman12 likes this.
  19. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

I can do the shootout. And I'd be fine with drivers running a scheme that they wouldn't regularly run.

KnightHoarder and nj9703 like this.
  20. jacobc62

As an advocate for both a longer schedule AND an All-Star Race, i'd gladly help out if tye schedule is lengthened.

If it becomes a reality, i was thinking 3 sponsors, 5 schemes:
    -Primary schemes
    -All-Star/Pre-Season Showdown scheme
    -Throwback scheme

And wishful thinking, but bring back Dodge? ;)

TColeman12 likes this.