1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Setup Help and Tips...

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Mustang, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mustang

Mustang #11DH #14CB #18KB #20CB #42KL #99CE

Please Read.

I need help adjusting the setups for certain tracks so i can keep up with the AI after the tires start to wear.

I'm running a championship with the AI at 100% and it was a blast at first as it presented a challenge to get to the front with the setups i had.

Recently the setups i have found online (nrsetups) just can't keep up with the AI.

I'm at Phoenix (Track is Phoenix_Revamped_2008, i've also tried 2010 and AI are faster at that one) at the moment and the setup i have really lacks in helping me get around the turn. For example on corner entry the car seems real loose and when i brake for the turn it makes the car looser. Which then presents a problem mid-corner and i run off the racing line. Corner exit is ok but i still dont have the speed the AI have.

I've had high tire pressures to speed the car up and also adjucted Camber alot for the grip. But im running 50% races which can be 100 laps or so and from past experience the car is ok at the begining but after a while there is no grip and i end up loosing the field completly.

I've adjusted most things in the setup area, i even make it real loose or make the car to good so that it looses its grip within the 10 lap area.

Does anyone have a phoenix setup they can give me that maintains a good speed and doesn't shred the tires, or can someone give me advice on getting a good speed out of the car without shredding the tires to fast.

Many thanks for whoever reads this, i know its alot to read but i would be more than grateful if someone could help me with this (y)

2. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

I have to slow down the AI at phoenix. I just cant keep up unless I overdrive the car, then I burn the right front off halfway through the fuel run. I go into the track ini and lower the ai grip level till they run closer to my time. Conversely at track I blow them away on I up the ai grip level. I only play with this once I feel my setup works, though. You can really match the AI against you pretty good with ratings and just the grip level. Just start changing the value of the ai grip by two to three tenths to start then fine tune it. I can usually hone in on a good speed in about four adjustments.

3. Brad H

Brad H Well-Known Member

Mustang,

It may not be that your setup is bad.

In 2003 when the game came out, 100% was a fairly difficult setting on the base tracks, but as people developed very fast (but unrealistic) setups and steering wheel technology improved, the great racers could beat the ai at around 104%, and even hacks like myself could get to 101% on most tracks (except WG, Infineon, Marty & Richmond).

As time progressed, two things happened. Firstly trackmakers, recalibrated to make 100% the old 104% (ie only great drivers could actually run at 100%). Secondly the people who made the ratings (eg nratings) made the ai slightly faster.

So essentially you get a whole range of difficulties all claiming to be 100% depending on track / carset & ratings.

If you lose grip and keep crashing, then it is probably bad setup, if you are slower than ai, then you may need to tone them down a bit, by running at around 96% or changing the ai grip levels if you want to maintain consistency of difficulty with other tracks.

[Edit} - although in looking at Phoenix RR 2008 track.ini v the original phoenix, they are remarkably similar. I would expect that you could use almost the same setup (possibly need 1 click forward of weight) and you should be about as competitive as in the original.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Brad

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mustang

Thanks for your help this is much appreciated (y)

5. lryansl

lryansl Member

Im confused? So when you setup a car is there a point when you can no longer achieve any more speed on a track even if say the real world qualifying times are 2 or 3 seconds faster? Im asking cause i find myself on phoenix now and cant seem to run the 28.4 seconds the ai can, even though actual qual. times are in the 26's to 27's.

6. Mustang

Qualifying times at Phoenix should range from around 27.5 to 28.7 seconds. If there running in the 26 second time margin on qualifying then the AI ratings may be to high or something to do with the track .Ini

Looking at real world data in the Nationwide series in 2010 Carl Edwards qualyfied with a time of 27.494 to get the pole.

7. lryansl

lryansl Member

Looking at 2012 sprint cup qual. times fastest was 26.3 slowest being 30 with the majority being in the 26's. So is it possible to have a setup run those times or is it something that the game just will not allow no matter what unless you modify something?

8. Brad H

Brad H Well-Known Member

Qualifying times might have been about right for 2002 (the game came out just before the 2003 season), but since then the real life sprint cup car bodies have changed, new EFI engine, Goodyear have done 10 yrs of tire development, and the track has been reconfigured slightly. While some track makers do adjust track grip levels to try to keep speeds accurate, this varies from track to track.

I would not use real life times as a guide as the physics were fixed in 2002 for to estimate 2003. Further, not all tracks would have been absolutely precise then as the game has one tire model for each chassis type, whereas Goodyear could bring a different tire to each race.

In the sim, there is a point at which you can't go any faster. For the original Phoenix, 27.466 is about as fast as you can go (Volker Hackmann posted a replay with this time), and 27.74 in race trim (also VH). If you are using a track other than the original Papy version, times will vary as trackmakers have adjusted grip.

Cheers

Brad

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

For example...

I run OWR Indianapolis for my IICS league. No matter what, my cars (and AI) cannot get over 218-219. Last year they ran a 228.611, with straighaway speeds in the 235 range (my top was 224). For 2003 those would be good speeds, but not with technology now. I don't think you can get the AI up to 235 in the straights and a whole of 228, much less I'm not sure you could get a setup like that.

10. fela

fela Well-Known Member

I'm driving also championship with 100% AI.
    I'm training (I hope) enough on every track. But if the AI drivers are still too fast, I'm tuning the track.ini to be somewhere in the middle of the pack with my times.
    Also, I'm doing the same, when I'm faster (I'm driving in championship not only standard NSCS ovals, but also some other tracks (vintage, ...) and much more roadcourses)....

Racing always should be fun, not the misery.

11. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger. Banned

I usually have the AI on 70% (keyboard driver) and don't mess with the setups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.