1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Slip's Showroom

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Slipster17, Mar 24, 2018.

1. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Yeah everything from the 80s to now is covered by one mod or another. Plus a few pre-80s mods if you're into the early years.

2. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Not quite... where's my '90s truck mod? Lol

3. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

I mean, all they need to do for the early CTS years is just literally render a brick on the screen.... and a spoiler.... a brick with a spoiler.....

4. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

[​IMG]
    2000 Wally Dallenbach - #75 Cartoon Network/ Powerpuff Girls/ RedCell Batteries Ford Taurus

CREDITS

Logos: Scanned and created vector images from a 1/24 scale decal set and other images from the Googs.
    Character Graphics: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set.
    Template: SBR
    Numbers: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set.
    Contigs: Self compiled
    Renders: Done in CarView 1.40 (cheap, quick and effective)

5. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

Not dead.... AGAIN... just busy with summer projects and keeping the kiddos occupied in the evenings.
    Any Ford fans going to be attending Carlisle All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA this weekend? I'll be there with the Fiesta for the 7th year (my overall 12th year in attendance, lol)

6. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

[​IMG]
    1997 Jeff Green - #29 Cartoon Network Wacky Racing Monte Carlo

CREDITS

Logos: Scanned and created vector images from a 1/24 scale decal set and other images from the Googs.
    Character Graphics: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set.
    Template: Winstoncup98MOD from Splash N Go and Studio Speed (BIG thanks to everyone who suggested I take a look at using some more period accurate templates!)
    Numbers: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set.

7. USSTalladega

That looks great! I of course loved those cars growing up.

8. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

Agreed! I just feel like there was a whole slew of cars from the mid-late 90s and early 2000s that were just plain FUN designs. With the drop in the popularity over the last decade or so all the sponsors seemed more focused on conveying the message in it's clearest form - they lost something in the transition.

9. USSTalladega

Oh gosh yes the schemes these days just don't have the flare that the schemes used to have. They are all fairly generic anymore.

10. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

[​IMG]
    1997 Jeff Green - #29 Cartoon Network Wacky Racing Monte Carlo
    Ran for the first half of 1997 with Robert Pressley and then Jeff Green as the helm.

CREDITS

Character Graphics: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set and publicly available images.
    Template: Winstoncup98MOD from Splash N Go and Studio Speed (BIG thanks to everyone who suggested I take a look at using some more period accurate templates!)
    Numbers: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set and publicly available images.

USSTalladega, Jo3blow, normM and 3 others like this.
  11. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

[​IMG]
    1996 Robert Pressley - #29 Cartoon Network Wacky Racing Monte Carlo
    .....and just because I LOVE being thorough - here is the 'BLACK' variant that ran late in 1996 as a Halloween scheme. The side graphics are different.

CREDITS

Character Graphics: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set and publicly available images.
    Numbers: Self made vector images created from a 1/24 scale decal set and publicly available images.

12. dejaentendu7

dejaentendu7 Well-Known Member

Dude these all look incredible. The attention to detail and the clarity of the characters is incredible. That had to be a lot of work vectoring all of them, and it was definitely worth it for the result. The white 29 is especially awesome to me. I had that die-cast with the matching hauler growing up.

Slipster17 likes this.
  13. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Without a doubt, this is the best work I've seen so far for the WinstonCup98 mod. Wowowow.

14. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

Glad I could bring back some warm fuzzy memories! And thanks for the compliments - the vectoring doesn't take all that long anymore as I have a pretty good system down for it. I trace out the whole graphic in black to create a 'background' and then make each block of color it's own group of shapes that lay over top of that. So like, Shaggy on the Scooby #29; that full vector graphic only has 6 layers - the purple shadow, the black background, green shirt, tan face, orange hair and the white for the eyes and teeth. Color blocking with shapes like that gives it all that thick-lined, cell-shaded animation look :)

And I always try to use vector graphics because I hatehateHATE loosing detail when I resize things, lol.

dejaentendu7 and USSTalladega like this.
  15. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

Eventually I'll have someone do some super spiffy final renders for me - or reinstall the game and actually complete the driver and pit layers too, heh. I actually found some vintage trading cards that show some of the earlier driver suits for like Steve Grissom, Pressley and Green.

I'll throw together a full set of Wacky Racing cars for download once I've collected them all! Flintstones from '96 is in progress, and if I can find enough good images of the Sprint/Radio Shack/Jetsons scheme from '99 I'll add that to the bunch too.

There was also, apparently, a RedCell Battery #75 Scooby scheme that ran like once in 2000. I have one poor image of the car on track and some ebay listings for a die-cast. Not sure I have enough material to recreate that one.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    USSTalladega likes this.
  16. USSTalladega

Well I for sure will be grabbing these once they become available.

17. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

What's the best way to do that now-adays? Still offer up the .car file from the actual game for download? Or allow them to download a .png of the graphics and import it to the game?

18. USSTalladega

Offering as a .car file is the best way to go. A .car file with a 2048 compressed car flat and a 512 compressed pit crew flat is the best compromise between quality and performance.

Slipster17 likes this.
  19. Slipster17

Slipster17 Active Member

[​IMG]
    1996 Steve Grissom - #29 Cartoon Network Wacky Racing Monte Carlo

OMG LOOK!!! A PERIOD ACCURATE DRIVERS SUIT TOO!!!

CREDITS