Downloads
Updated

Soft-launching a new "old" project

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimDesigners

Reaction score
Sim Designers Random Car Generator

This forum seemed like the most relevant, but if someone feels it fits somewhere better, feel free to move it.

For a few days, I've been messing around with what was my old random car generator. It came about as I started learning from a few people that it may have been more popular than I thought. In the time since I last worked on it, I've learned much more about how to assemble something like that together, so I decided to give it another go and a permanent name and home.

SimDesigners is the official name of this new project. You'll find a new, revised edition of the random car generator on the front page with a button to cycle through car combinations- no longer needing to refresh your browser.

I am looking for help from the community on this. I had to start over with the list of sponsors it will include (lost the old files) and wanted to make it more racing-centric. You can view the current list here: http://simdesigners.com/sponsors.txt. If you've benefited from using this in the past, I would love your input on additional sponsors I can add to that list. Feel free to PM me any ideas you may come up with. As the site evolves, I may include a suggestion box as time allows.

Last edited:

flyersfan4888

That GNS Car dude.
Reaction score
Awesome! I loved using this a few years back. Thank you for bringing it back!

pennst24

Reaction score
This will definitely help me get past painter's block. LOL

Mustang

#11DH #14CB #18KB #20CB #42KL #99CE
Reaction score
This is the first time I heard of this! It sounds very cool! Thanks!!

SimDesigners

Reaction score
SRD may become my playground for new ideas :p

I've added a history page to this as well, so you can see up to the last 10 generated cars. I think it could be fun to see what others have come up with. You can view it here: History - SimDesigners

I'm thinking ahead to the future on this, as I think a utility like this has potential. I'm considering in the long term of adding things like accounts, ability to "favorite" a generated car, or even have the ability to upload finished cars that started from this and share them. Dumb ideas? Other things I should consider?

PepsiRacer4

The One and Only
Reaction score
I like the idea to upload cars that you've made from it, link it together with accounts and I think it'd be pretty sweet.

nascarfreak88

Sarcasmus pessimus
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I've had terrible painter's block lately. I used to rely on this so much. Brilliant idea dude.

pennst24

Reaction score
Here's my idea: Have an archive. The archive contains a list of all the combinations it has generated. Have each archive entry linked to some kind of photo album, where people can view user-submitted vehicles.

SimDesigners

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that I've made a few more updates. You can now subscribe to the generated cars via RSS. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to add a newsletter that goes out periodically to also list generated cars and offer extras, including beta testing and suggestions for future additions to the site!

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
Reaction score
I never used the previous version but now that I am getting more into painting that I will use this for all of my future ideas! Thank you!

Sponser suggestions:
Betty Crocker
Chick-fil-a
General Mills
HP
Kraft Foods
Logitech
MAG Tools
Matco Tools
MOMO
Nabisco
Yum! Brands

Also are 00-09 on the number list?

SimDesigners

Reaction score
Another update!

I've been working over the weekend on version two of the car generator. There are some huge changes coming- namely the ability to create an account and save your favorite cars. I think I'm close to being able to launch the new version, but if anyone wouldn't mind today, I'd appreciate some help.

Visit SimDesigners and register for an account. Try everything out and see how it works. If there are any issues, PM me or email me at dan@simdesigners.com. I'll probably keep registration open for a little bit to get a few people in.

SimDesigners

Reaction score
Thanks for the help to those who registered! Made me feel confident enough to launch V2 this morning to everyone.

Also tacked on an additional feature on launch: your own public pages to share your favorite cars, your website and short bio. Here's mine if you want an idea of how it looks: Dan Nisbet – SimDesigners

Henderson

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Wow, very nice work Dan! I liked it before, but now I will use it much more.

Two questions:

1. Why did you take the manufacturer off the Advanced Options menu?
2. How many favorites are we allowed to store?

Thanks.

SimDesigners

Reaction score
The manufacturer options under advanced kept breaking. Rest assured, I'm working on a solution and it should return shortly.

There are no limits on the number of favorites you can store :)

SimDesigners

Reaction score
Fixed the manufacturer settings under advanced search! You can also page through the history now and view all of the cars the new site has generated!

SimDesigners

Reaction score
Glad its working out for people! I'm still taking suggestions on new sponsors as people can think of them. Also planning on some new features further down the road that hopefully make it more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.