1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

SpinDragun's Realm

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by SpinDragun, Sep 6, 2019.

1. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Welcome back! Really nice work all around.

SpinDragun likes this.
  2. bluedevil21

bluedevil21 Well-Known Member

I remember you from the BIg Al Grafix Days and URD. I use to be big in painting stuff there when it was around until I found myself in NR2k3. Welcome Back!

SpinDragun likes this.
  3. SpinDragun

SpinDragun Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone that's been liking and throwing some nice comments out.

Haha! Now that's a name I remember. Yeah...I do remember seeing you around quite a bit back at URD. Nice to be back.

Speaking of URD...a lot of the site, it's gone. Nearly all resources are as well as copies of the site (when you have the site behind a registration page for years, backups stop existing). Through my time there I spent a lot of time just bs-ing in the chatbox. This week I'll be releasing some screencaps from that, ones that haven't been seen in years with some names that are just gone (I know for a fact T1AO88 went nuclear on his social medias since we were good friends for years post URD). No, these aren't to call out people being shitty or anything...they were in my opinion some of the golden moments from the chat.

4. Steve7151

Steve7151 Well-Known Member

Ah Snap! Long time no see, Spin. Glad to see your back!

SpinDragun likes this.
  5. SpinDragun

And delivered. Now I can't recall what the hell we were discussing for things to get to this point, but in my opinion this was one of the funniest nights. T1AO88 being the random mofo we all knew him as, St. Elsewhere ending reference, the foster's home for imaginary friends shoutouts, and even the reference to the old spice guy.

chat1.png chat2.png

Edit: yeah, I had a lot of dm's open. a bunch of people liked to chat with me on the side. Some weren't exactly allied with URD, i know Denny11 used to message me on occasion and he was outright banned from URD. The retrospect of his ban made no sense, but that's for another post.

6. SpinDragun

I was always one to give a tease...and after this post, that's gonna be a habit I'll be breaking. Now I threw 2 hints in my previous posts about something in the works, something "big". The question is, what? A new scheme or possibly some new render scenes? Well...yes and no. The reality is, I'm probably going to drift to a new style soon. After quite a bit of planning and finally getting my hands on the models...I have some "cars" I always wanted to paint on. Apologies if the scene looks like shit, I'm still experimenting with mental ray:

truck cover.jpg

Go big or go home. Legit have wanted to do SUV designs for so long...got that and a host of other body designs. Grave Digger I felt was obligatory for the launch. Nearly everything can be customized, I'm just a lazy ass and didn't change the frame color for the preview. The tires...ugh another thing that looks kinda shit, but they came with the model and I didn't feel like finding or making some better looking ones (maybe at some point down the line). Sadly, unless someone does something with the model (like an import to beamng or rfactor if that's a thing still), these are just show pieces.

So how's the template look for something like this? Grave Digger is a bad example, it's mostly simple until you get to that front end. Nearly every other model? Easiest painting experience of your life. Here's a snippet from something I worked on back in 2015 (I tried making an earlier return, but had a lot of mixed feelings about it and postponed it for a few years).
    template sample1.png

USSTalladega and Tetronix like this.
  7. SpinDragun

Tetronix and Slipster17 like this.
  8. Slipster17

Slipster17 "Terrifying Cones Since 1983"

Kinda funny - I think you and I were both working on making vector graphics out of the VooDew logos and character at the same time, lol. I finished up all the main graphics on my fictional Chase Elliott car yesterday!

I took one look at the bottle and 12 pack for VooDew and said HELL YES FICTIONAL SCHEME TIME!

9. SpinDragun

Lol, same. It brought me out of a 6 year hiatus to even try something. The only real pain I had was all the tree variations they used. I have another VooDew design coming out in the next few days too.

Slipster17 likes this.
  10. Slipster17

Paging through your work here - which is awesome, btw - you and I seem to be in a pretty similar boat; a love of vintage schemes and cartoons. I cut my teeth back in the mid 2000s working at Summers Brothers Racing as one of their painters for NR2k2 and NR2k3. I had a LOOOOOONG hiatus where the wife and I were moving around a lot for jobs, starting a family, buying a house..... but since rediscovering sim painting, I really just enjoy painting whatever pleases me. Mostly old Cartoon Network cars and other schemes involving things I can free hand draw and then finish off in Photoshop.

I have the base for my fictional Chase Elliott VooDew #9 up and awaiting some renders from the guys more talented at that then me, lol. Thinking about transferring the design to the 2005 Dodge template as well because I feel it could make a convincing Dodge Dealers/ Jeremy Mayfield era scheme as well.

11. SpinDragun

Same, I'm just doing what I enjoy anymore. I had a lot going on at what could be argued was my peak, control over a decent popular painting site, worked on carsets, filled both painting and render requests...now, kinda just do my own thing. I have no "exclusivity arrangements" (once again, another story for another time). I post my stuff wherever, some gets popular and some, people just don't care about. I'll agree with the freehand route, got a Huion tablet monitor just for that purpose. I typically do some sketching in clip studio, ink it in Adobe animate, then put it all together in Photoshop. A bit complicated, but gets the results I want within like 2 evenings of work. I checked your garage earlier today (really digging the nostalgia, especially from seeing Dexter lol) and it does seem like we're not far off from one another when it comes to paint designs. Nice to see someone else with that approach as well.

While I'll keep most of the details hidden until the release, I'm working on a VooDew inspired Grave Digger paint. Most of the graphics are done, it's just a matter of putting it all to a template.

Slipster17 likes this.
  12. Slipster17

Awesome. I look forward to the results!

13. SpinDragun

Alright...last preview...

dewdigger1.jpg

The headstones flavors are:
    Dew S.A.
    Liberty Brew
    Typhoon
    Sangrita Blast
    Distortion
    Dark Berry
    Pitch Black II
    Ultra Violet
    MDX
    Game Fuel
    Dewshine
    Holiday Brew
    Label Series (Black, White, Green, all discontinued)

This and some of the hood are running into 50 layers as it sits (had the forsight to use groups at least). Still got a couple nights' worth of work to dump into it, but definitely a favorite design of mine now by far.

14. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Lawn Duty, Judge Judy

Good stuff in here. Sangrita Blast was my shit back in 2015.

SpinDragun likes this.
  15. Slipster17

Kick-ass man

SpinDragun likes this.
  16. SpinDragun

Grave Digger VooDew:

dewo.jpg
    vdew3.png
    vdew2.png
    vdew1.png

Yeah the model still needs some work, and I plan on some better renders (got a friend helping set me up, but he's a bit busy and I really wanted to post this).

17. SpinDragun

And as promised, here's the graphics set. Now the more custom stuff (the headstones, fog, patterns) I don't intend to post. This is everything else, the trees, the monster, the logos (mtn dew, voodew, limited edition, do the dew, and mystery flavor), some of the tombstones, bats, an HD bottle, etc. There's a lot, nearly all of it's 3000x3000.

If any admin sees this, you have my permission to post it in the logo section:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/wxilb6a8u0zdr90/voodew_logo_and_graphic_set.zip/file
    voodew logo and graphic set.jpg
    *the raven's tail is cropped in this image, it was fixed in the file.