1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Sprint Cup Series Chassis W.I.P.

Discussion in '3d Model and Scene Showroom' started by Burnout, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burnout

Burnout Well-Known Member

For some time now I have been working on a Sprint Cup Series chassis. A while back, I got my hands on the 2009 Sprint Cup Series rule book so I was able to get most of the specs, manufacturer names, and part numbers for a bunch of stuff. I started off with something simple, the fuel cell. While it may seem like it's just a box, there's actually quite a few parts that makes up a fuel cell. I've yet to get all the parts done yet due to lack of references and time. But I do have a good part of it made to specs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's some hoses that connect to the pickup that I still need to make as well as the pickup itself. I am doing a lot of research on how these cars and parts are built. While the chassis shown in those images has undergone changes, I'm still trying to fully understand the wording used in the rule book as I keep running into issues with parts not fitting as they should and the rollcage itself not fitting the body correctly. Very frustrating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in those two renders, I also started doing some low rez modeling of some of the other components such as the engine and stuff for the drivetrain. I'll be posting more updates as I continue work on this project. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

2. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

Wow, man. That's awesome! Looking forward to updates!

How'd you manage to get your hands on a rulebook?

3. Michael James

Michael James MJ

Ebay if I remember...
    Nice job man!

4. Burnout

Yup, it was eBay.

5. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Wow nice job. How long did it take for you just to do the fuel cell? And what are your intentions for this? Are you going to make a scene or what?

6. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

awesome work my friend.

7. Burnout

The fuel cell only took a few hours. As for my intentions, I don't really know yet. I know it wouldn't work in a scene as there are no accurate bodies out there yet. Most likely I'll have to make some bodies myself and probably end up selling the model on Turbosquid or one of those type of sites. This certainly isn't going to be a typical low-mid rez model. I'm looking to pile in as much detail as my computer can handle.

2 people like this.
  8. mgcastro

mgcastro Former SRD Staff

Man that looks phenomenal, great work!

9. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Well even if it's not a scene it's still awesome. Please keep us updated on this.

10. Burnout

Just a small update. I decided to scrap most of what I had of the frame and start over on that with pretty much full detail. I got the fuel cell in place (just need to make the container and support bars for it), added some spot welds to see how they would look, chamfered the edges of the frame so it's rounded like the real thing, also added a couple of holes in the main frame rail (might be inspection holes, I dunno), and I made sure the wall thickness is correct as well for the frame tubing. This thing already has 20190 polys, and this is just the beginning.
    [​IMG]

11. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Well-Known Member

Amazing work. Great job!

12. BCrcn02

BCrcn02 Member

Wow dude thats pretty crazy keep it up looks hawt!

13. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Very nice!!!!

14. Burnout

Well, this project will never die. I may run into delays, get bored and take a break, but I will finish this someday, lol. For now though, I've been getting curious about how much detail NR2003 can handle in DX mode and OpenGL mode. Previous tests I've done with a few tracks showed me OpenGL can handle a few more polys than DX. So right now the high detail model remains dormant while I work on a lower rez version that I'm hoping to get working in NR2003. And NO, I am NOT making a mod, just testing out some limits and seeing how to properly model a vehicle and get it working somewhat smoothly in-game. I do have priorities now that I'm back on the staff here, so I don't expect to get much time to work on this as I would like, but I'll keep ya'll updated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Burnout

Like I said, I'd try to keep you updated, so here I go. At this point, what you will see here adds up to 8298 polys (or tris). Still less than what is possible in NR2003. What I'm trying to do while working on this is also find a way to make the LOD's help cut down the amount of polys on screen even when you're close to the other vehicle. I'd like to have the highest detailed parts show up when you're pretty much directly on top of them. I'm able to use 3ds Max to set up a camera and move it around so I know where exactly to set the "State Switch" for each LOD so it's almost un-noticable to the eyes. The main purpose of this project now is to see how much of the chassis and parts can be put in NR2003. The following render consists of the chassis as shown in the previous post along with a custom Impala model (still working on that). I've been building this within the specifications provided in the 2009 Sprint Cup Series rule book because I'd like to prove it is possible to make a high detail mod to specs for NR2003.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. wslates

wslates 1

Phenomenal, Great, Amazing....What other words are there to say?!?! lol.

1 person likes this.
  17. Burnout

I know one... OWNED! I just lost every dang file related to those models. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. This really sucks. :frown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.