1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE

SRD NASCAR "Pick'em" Series (Information, Rules, and History)

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Mike24, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Well I've thought that one over for a while and I keep coming to the same conclusion. Three points is a pretty big bonus considering how the scoring is done. Any more than that would be a little too much, I would think, for what are essentially bonus points. The real focus of the picks should be on the Cup Series and the picks made for that race. At this point upping the points for companion event wins/expanding those picks to include top 10 or top 5 takes a little too much of the focus away. Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it's the right move at this time.

2. MattSRD28

In case you missed it, the 2015 SRD Pick'em Series Year in Review has been posted: 2015 SRD Pick'em Series - In Review...

The 2016 SRD Pick'em Series Season is hereby officially announced!

Back in action for its 10th season, the SRD Pick'em Series returns in 2016. We've gone through some changes in the past decade, but the solid format at the core of the game that you all love is very much alive and well. Everyone's invited to join in the fun of our 10th season, young & old, n00bs & vets, casual fans & hardcore fanatics, Pick'em rookies & grizzled veterans, everyone you know & everyone you don't know. They will all combine to provide another year of intense competition, strategy, and best of all - FUN! We've had Pick'em rookies become Champion before. Who will be the next rookie champ? Could it be you?

For anyone looking to play who hasn't played before, you'll find all the information you'll need to play in this thread's first post including information on rules and scoring. Naturally the rules have needed some tweaking through the years to accommodate Nascar's various shifts but at its core, what has made this game great for nine seasons is still very much alive as it always has been.

As always, in order to play, watch for a race weekend's thread to open in the forum. For example, the Speedweeks/Daytona 500 thread should already be open by the time you're reading this. All you have to do is reply in that thread with the necessary picks and you're in! Seems easy right? Well we've worked hard to create a simple to play yet allows players to involve massively complex strategies if they want, or to just completely wing it if they want. Whatever your playing style, we hope to see you become a part of our special 10th season of the SRD Pick'em Series!

The 2016 season is finally upon us! GET EXCITED!!!

3. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Forgot to post this months ago but why don't you do championship picks anymore? There is nothing anywhere in this thread that has omitted them from the finale weekend. To do them then to not is just kinda odd to me.

4. MattSRD28

Championship picks were not brought back because at best they are now 1 out of 4 shots at extra points. Compare that to the pole or companion race winner picks that are 1 out of 30+. These bonus points could very well determine who is our champion. IMO, earning them needs to come from something tougher than a 1/4 shot.

So I thought of maybe having them for the non-Chasers, but I'd rather have the entire field all playing by the same rules going for the same points.

5. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Make it 1 point then instead of 3. Points are points. So be it if thats how it happens. Picking the pole and other series winners have made a difference in the past so I don't see the exception here. Everyone still has the same chances no matter the actual numbers involved.

6. MattSRD28

You're missing the point. The champion should not be determined on a 1/4 shot.

In case someone wants to argue the Cup champion's going to win Homestead under this format so that's already happening...I'll agree that's likely but there's no guarantee of it. With a championship pick for bonus points, the odds are guaranteed 1/4.

7. MonkeyWrenCh

MonkeyWrenCh Well-Known Member

I feel like the stats should be broken up into 2 sections. "The beginning era" and the "current era". The guys who competed when there were only around 10 people per week have inflated stats compared to the amount of people who play now.

8. MattSRD28

Understandable, but Richard Petty's 200 wins came when there were official races in the middle of the week, as well as on Sundays. Nobody's discrediting that stat, even though it's acknowledged to have been in a different era. Same sort of idea here. Career wins are career wins.

That said, Mike did translate the scoring records after the major shift in points systems that brought about the 1 point per position scoring. Those are accurate to today's system.

9. MattSRD28

Hey everybody! So, you're probably curious about what the SRD Pick'em Series is going to look like next season given all the changes to the points and the races and such that will be implemented this coming season. Perhaps you're wondering if there will even be a SRD Pick'em Season next year. Well, the announcement from Nascar came last week while I was traveling in Orlando and I'm posting this from the airplane flying home. While I don't have specifics for you, I can try to answer some questions you may have about the series going forward.

Let me first assure you all that I am NOT considering suspending the SRD Pick'em Series at this time. I have skimmed the announced changes and I believe the basic framework of "You score what they score" that this series has always run on is still viable. The details are forthcoming but, as we have done with past changes to the point scoring format, I believe we can adapt this series to the new format while keeping its basic framework intact.

Secondly, this is going to take a great deal of work and effort to realign this series to its real world counterpart. Please understand and have patience in case certain announcements or information related to the changes does not come out when you might expect it to or would like it to. Like NR2003 creations from our wonderful painters here, the information will come out when its ready. Unfortunately the "Year in Review" thread will need to be delayed so as to give priority to the upcoming season. This is regretful but necessary given the timing of Nascar's announcement.

As always your patience and understanding is appreciated as well as participation. Without you, there would be no SRD Pick'em Series. The fact that we are looking toward our 11th season is remarkable and its all thanks to you guys. More information will be coming so stay tuned!

nj9703, dalejr88rox, Mike24 and 5 others like this.
  10. Johnnyk1990

Johnnyk1990 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get the season started, if you need help with ideas or what not just shoot me a PM cause I've been thinking about how it will work since NASCAR made the announcement

11. Mike24

Mike24 Well-Known Member

Matt, PM me if you need any ideas. I think the adjustment can be rather simple to do.

Bravo on keeping this going strong for so long! Amazing to see over a decade of this game.

4WideRacing likes this.
  12. MattSRD28

Friends, Romans, fellow Pick'em players...LEND ME YOUR EARS!!

It's a new season and the dawning of a new era as the SRD Pick'em Series begins its second decade. But before we launch into the future, be sure to take a quick look at the past in the 2016 SRD Pick'em Series - In Review... now posted.

Now that the past in the past, the 2017 SRD Pick'em Series Season is hereby officially announced!!!

After successfully completing 10 full seasons, the SRD Pick'em Series is BACK! Nascar implemented a slew of changes for the 2017 season, and therefore we must change accordingly. But fear not! Through all the years and all the changes, the core of the game you have come to know and love remains very much the same as it always has. With that, we'd like to invite everybody to join in the fun for our 11th season. Be you young, old, man, woman, boy, girl, casual Nascar fan, new Nascar fan, someone who makes fun of Nascar fans, someone who's made fun of you for being a Nascar fan, longtime Pick'em vets, brand new Pick'em rookies, or maybe you just have a few extra minutes each week that you'd like to kill in a fun and engaging way, all are welcome to join us for the dawning of a new era for the SRD Pick'em Series. All of the many changes, plus all of you, will I'm sure combine for the most thrilling, most intense competition we've ever had. But most importantly, it's going to be a whole lot of FUN! Now, if you're new to this game and are thinking you have no chance against those who've been playing for years and years, think again! We have had players win the first race they ever entered. We have had rookies win the overall championship. Who knows? You could be next!

Anyone who has never played before, and all you returning players, please review the first page of this thread for all the information related to this year's changes. I think you'll find that not only has what's made this game so great over 10 years been kept intact, but has been made even more interesting with some of the new elements in play for this year.

Highlights of new for 2017 changes include:

- Playoff points awarded to the winner, 2nd and 3rd place creating a weekly 'podium' finish.

- New Stage bonus points included in weekly scoring

- Regular Season standings now comprised of best 20 races

- Playoff eligibility limited to top 40 in points at the end of the regular season

- Bonus for picking Cup Pole increased to 4 points

- Bonus for picking winner of Truck/Xfinity races increased to 7 points

In order to play, watch for a new thread to open each week for the following weekend's race. These generally open on Tuesday nights but may fluctuate slightly over the coming season. All you will need to do is copy the entry blank provided in first post of each week's thread, paste that into a reply to the thread, then fill in your picks and post your reply. That's all! Sounds pretty simple, right? That's part of the beauty of our game. Players can spend hours analyzing and over-analyzing data to come with their picks, or they can just throw 5 names up and come what may. We've even had players who make their picks from a random number generator in the past. Whatever your playing style is, we hope you will be a part of our groundbreaking 11th season of the SRD Pick'em Series!

Play starts NEXT WEEKEND with the Advance Auto Parts Clash at Daytona! GET EXCITED!!! :)

13. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #BatonRougeStrong

Cant wait! Thanks for all you do, @MattSRD28!

14. Bitbreaker

Bitbreaker Well-Known Member

First, I want to join the game from this season, but I'm a little bit confused. You said the season starts with the clash next week, in the original thread you link it told that the best 22 of 26 races from the regular season counts. But if you took the clash (and maybe the all star race) to the schedule of the game aren't ther 28 races in the regular season? Or is the Clash just for fun without points for this game?

15. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

The clash and all star races are treated like the xfinity and truck races where the points are added into the Daytona 500 and Charlotte race totals.

16. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

Been playing for years and have never gotten a win. Hopefully I can change that this season. Thanks again for organizing this @MattSRD28 , really like the format adjustments this year as well!

17. Bitbreaker

Bitbreaker Well-Known Member

Ok Thanks. It still isn't full clearly for me, but i will wait and see the first predictions and after that I will choose mine

18. shaneshine23

shaneshine23 NR2003 driver since 2008

19. MattSRD28

References to races in the regular season are referring to MENCS points races. Both the Clash and All-Star Race (whatever that ends up being called this year) are exhibition races. They are not scored like regular points races, but we do include them as 4Wide pointed out above.

20. XxTeam48LowesXx

XxTeam48LowesXx Jimmie Johnson #Se7en

Ready to finish 2nd in points again!