3. Jimmie Johnson
4. Clint Bowyer
5. Brad Keselowski

denyerfan

SRD Member
Reaction score
well..... wow

A) Thought I'd be clever and not pick Kyle = stupid move

B) Thought I'd be clever and only pick one champ contender, Jimmie = stupid move

C) Thought I'd pick Truex Jr. for the first time in my SRD career = stupid move

D) Thought I'd pick Bowyer for his solid fnish streak = stupid move

bahhhh! What a shocker of a chase I've had!

114 or something, the worst score I've ever had by quite a ways - I know it doesn't count but it wastes a week of catching-up I needed!

Sgt Slaughter

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Cup Top 5:
1. Jeff Gordon - 30th
2. Brad Keselowski - 6th
3. Kyle Busch - 3rd
4. Kasey Khane - 4th
5. Jimmie Johnson - 32nd
WHY?! I had 3 great picks... and Jeff n' Jimmie f'd up the whole thing.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Carnage. Destruction. Chaos. A lot of disappointing finishes, with a lucky few grateful to have survived.

...and the actual race was pretty brutal too.

Martin Truex Jr.'s expiration on Lap 1 hurt. Jimmie Johnson's 32nd place finish was felt over a broad scale. The Clint & Jeffy show also brought a bunch of scores down. Once again Phoenix proves to be a very difficult track to achieve high pick'em scores on.

Of the 48 entrants this week, only 19 actually kept their scores from Phoenix, including a scant 4 of 12 Chasers. 23 scored 150 or higher, with only the top 5 above the 180 mark.

The winner this week, with a daring last minute entry that proved successful, and taking his 4th Pick'em win of 2012 was Fishtail with a score of 196. The win is Fishtail's 5th career Pick'em win, putting him only 1 win away from a tie for 5th all time in career wins. Coming in 2nd was Chaser DannyM with 193, followed by SHB in 3rd with 187. 086gf was 4th with 181, while Championship leader roostmotor87 and Tim2488 tied for 5th with a score of 180 each.

With scores being down this week, only DannyM, MillsLayne, dspence14 and series leader roostmotor87 knocked out their low scores. No other Chasers improved their score, including 2nd place degatime88 who needed a strong finish to remain in championship contention.

Congrats to Fishtail on another win! :)

So this is it. Only one race left to decide where 36 weeks of strategy and strife, hope and sorrow, elation and despair, anticipation and anxiety will leave us. Will roostmotor87 ride off into the sunset as the undisputed SRD 2012 Pick'em Series Champion? Or will fate intervene and shock resonate throughout the land if a massive gain by 2nd or 3rd results in a different champion?

The championship battle is, let's face it, clearly favoring roostmotor87. Ironically 87 is the lead roost will enjoy going into the final battle in Homestead over the new 2nd place DannyM who is going for his 2nd SRD Pick'em crown. Former 2nd place degatime88 is only one point back of DannyM. The question becomes do either have a chance to catch roostmotor87, or will roostmotor87 become the third Pick'em rookie in 6 years to win both Rookie of the Year and the Series Championship in the same season?

The answer to that lies in the low scores. degatime88's low score is 161. DannyM's is 176. roostmotor87's is 180. Assuming roostmotor87 does not score higher than 180, DannyM must gain 88 points on his low score to overcome roostmotor87. That means DannyM must score 264 just to overcome roostmotor87 if roost doesn't improve his point total at all. For degatime88, he must gain 89 points on his low score, which would require a race score of 249.

These are daunting challenges given that the highest score since the new points format was adopted at the beginning of 2011 came earlier this year at New Hampshire when 2 entrants tied for the win with a score of 233.

Is it impossible? No. Had someone correctly picked Kyle for the pole, Logano for N'wide, Scott for CWTS, and picked Harvick, Hamlin, Busch, Kahne and Newman in that order - a perfect pick'em - their score would have been 249 - exactly what degatime88 needs to win if roostmotor87 does not score higher than 180. degatime88 and DannyM aren't out of it yet, but they need to be absolutely perfect in their picks to have a shot. Unfortunately everybody else is mathematically eliminated at this point.

What all this means in simpler terms is that if roostmotor87 scores higher than 180, barring a miracle rivaling that of the feeding of the 5,000 - roostmotor87 will be the Champion for 2012. His amazing consistency this year, especially in the Chase with a 7 race average north of 200, is the stuff of legends.

Even if they aren't champion, who will win that epic battle between DannyM and degatime88 for 2nd? That will come down to the wire.

In the battle for 13th, and "Best of the Rest", Fishtail has cut deep into johnp's lead, and is now only 21 markers behind in 14th place. ryan78 also remains in striking distance in 15th 48 back, with DE3 a distant 78 points back.

Here are the results from Phoenix:

Here are the last points standings before we crown a champion next week:

One battle that has already been decided is the Rookie of the Year battle. After adding another 18 points to his lead, roostmotor87 has clinched the 2012 SRD Pick'em Series Rookie of the Year honors. Congrats on a well earned crown.

Here are the ROTY standings going into Homestead where ROTY points will still be given despite the title being clinched.

While roostmotor87 can celebrate one victory, the big kahuna awaits next week. Also can Fishtail continue his momentum and finish as Best of the Rest?

Here are the all important low scores.

Hope to see everybody picking for the finale! It's not over until it's over!

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the win, Fishtail!

Jeez, I have been absolutely atrocious during the Chase.

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Congratulations are in order to Fishtail on his 4th SRD Pick 'Em win of 2012. (y)

Sigh, with Johnson's woes (crash due to tire failure), I had all of my other picks (Bowyer, Kahne, Gordon, and Ky. Busch) running in the Top-9 in the closing laps, only to see that get demolished in the wake of the Gordon/Bowyer feud on-track. With three picks finishing worse than 25th (Bowyer, Gordon, Johnson) and two finishing inside the Top-10 (Ky. Busch and Kahne), this marks the 2nd straight poor performance from what had been an unusual streak of good races in the Chase. If only Gordon and Bowyer didn't make that contact in the laps prior to the retaliation, perhaps I would have done much better. :-/

I look forward to the final race this weekend at Homestead-Miami (Ford Championship Weekend) and hopefully I can finish 2012 on a high note.

burtonbraves

Fictional Extraordinaire
SRD Member
Reaction score
I somehow managed a top 10 with Johnson, Edwards, and Stewart. Huh. Thank you Harvick and Kyle... for once this year! :p

Congrats Fishtail!

4WideRacing

Forum Guru
SRD Member
Reaction score
21st was better then I expected but the 151 points is the worst I have done in the Chase this year.
I knew Kevin was good at Phoenix but I thought the talks of him leaving RCR and his slump would doom him, so I went with Joey Logano. XD

Congrats Fishtail!

Status
Not open for further replies.