1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Super Informal, Noob-Friendly, Just For Fun Racin'

Discussion in 'Online Racing' started by Rassy, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rassy

Rassy Active Member

Looking for some sim racers who want to have fun, but don't want to spend five hours every night racing. Here's how it works:

We keep a runing Google Hangout Group (which you can leave if you want) to schedule races. We shoot for one race per week. We run an abbreviated schedule, with a 12-car, 7-race Chase that follows the playoff format.

We use the Gen6BR15 Series with most, well, many of the 2016 paint schemes. We all run custom schemes for our own cars. Nobody takes IRL driver spots, but I'm happy to paint up a few customs for others.

Full simulation, real damage, hardcore mode, full field of cars, 25% distance races, 2X tire wear, no flag-clearing nor lucky dog, double-file restarts, random number generator sets weather conditions prerace and NRatings adjustments to AI based on Cup formula for final two years of races at that track. We also run 95% opponent strength so new drivers feel comfortable learning and don't get run over. I'm not amazing myself, either.

We keep track of seasons with Score4, updated on my website. We run together in our own team. You are welcome to form your own teams as well. I will set that up in Score4.

We use something of a sailboat start. We allow for three restarts inside 12% of the the start. Whomever crashes may call for a restart at any point before the 12% lap hits up to three times. On the fourth restart, or if the lead human driver hits that 12% lap at any point, the race goes final regardless. This helps facilitate learning for newer drivers. We always help each other out with tips and setups etc.

Mainly, we're just looking for ppl to race with. If you miss a race or only want to jump in here and there, no sweat. If you want to be notified of a certain race and just run that as a sub, deal. We can either just assign your AI driver a lower-tier driver's ratings and let him run without you or check him off in our rosters until you return. Up to you.

Anyone who is interested, PM me or reply and I'll send you the current IP address for NR2003 and Teamspeak, a dropbox link to the current CARS folder you'll need and an invite to the Race Hangout (need Google acct. for that).

2. AlexMiller

AlexMiller Well-Known Member

I can race. Just depends on if the other leagues I run are racing or not.

Rassy likes this.
  3. Exterminator

Exterminator Well-Known Member

Based on my testing with the AI in this sim, filling a field with them will lead to tons of accidents and some really bad racing.

4. AlexMiller

AlexMiller Well-Known Member

@Exterminator has a point. With the AI one tap can cause a wreck.

5. Rassy

Rassy Active Member

Cool, Alex. I'll send ya the info. Ya, it's true. The AI does get sideways a bit, but when fule mileage isn't much of a concern (shortened race), an occasional caution creates really, the most opportunity for strategy. They don't always wreck though. I remember going through the whole race at Talladega without cautions. It's hit or miss and I think the adjusted ratings from race-to-race have an impact. The AI also give us more consistent competition over the couse of a season, since we don't have 40+ human drivers. That way, there's always somebody to chase, :)

6. Mas0na

Mas0na New Member

Definitely interested in racing. I have my own custom so that's already covered.

Rassy likes this.
  7. Exterminator

Exterminator Well-Known Member

I have raced in RB-HC.com's league for many years and we will sometimes use the AI for testing purposes, but never in a league event. If you use them, they will definitely be a problem for some drivers, especially if they are less experienced.
    Hardcore means no drivers aids and in cockpit view. If there is any contact with the AI, the real driver will suffer and the AI will continue on without a wiggle in most cases. In others, where the AI is driven from it's normal line, massive destruction of the field often occurs.
    We have always run full hardcore! I strongly suggest you do much more testing before proceeding.
    In my experience, drivers get frustrated and stop coming to the events when frustrated. We have learned to try and help reduce bad experiences whenever possible. It has meant smaller fields, but our racing is still competitive and fun. If a driver misses a setup, has a controller issue, etc..., we help him out.
    We have some very dedicated racers because of this. Some of us have had to take time off for health issues and the like, but when the situations normalize, we have returned because we don't race for the glory, we race for the fun. I think that all of our drivers leave the events smiling, even on a bad night, because of things like this.
    Just a little insight from an old racer. I am happy to see anyone promote this sim and wish you luck. Running a league can be quite demanding as you may soon find out. I have helped administer ours for years. I would advise you to seek help and assistance from those that you trust to admin. Your admins will be invaluable. Make sure you select good people for these positions. One bad apple is all it takes to ruin your efforts.
    Good luck to you!

8. Rassy

Rassy Active Member

Thanks for the input! You aren't wrong so it's hard to rebut. Basically, we figure the AI is an obstacle for all drivers equally (depending on Q results) and we have been able to live with that. I have actually run this league offline [online but with close friends only, I mean] for a few seasons now. Navigating a season with the AI can be fun, knowing who you have to beat and who you can ignore on a weekly basis. This post just opens the opportunity to people beyond close friends and even at that, I'm thinking a 10-driver cap is probably good. There are multiple leagues that run the way your describing already. For better or worse, this provides an alternative that guarantees a full field. The racing takes a hit. The simulation takes a bit of a hit (but that's already in play thanks to 25% length and 95% opponent strength etc.). But we have come to accept the AI's shortcomings and definitive advantage. All things considered, may the best driver win. The competition is very real and we have a lot of laughs along the way. I guess that's the informal part of this group. Honestly, a real vet would probably swallow this field alive, but we wouldn't care. We're just tryjng to do the best we can and have fun hanging out at the virtual track, :)

9. Rassy

Rassy Active Member

Ok, guys. If you're still interested, I sent PM's to both of you. Just reply with a number or google address so I can add you to the league scheduling Hangout. We can go from there and I'll give you an e-mail address where you can send any customs you'd like to run so we can include them in our rosters.

Ok, racing at The Glen is about to start ... :)

-Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  10. DaleJrFan62

DaleJrFan62 Active Member Banned

• Bumping old threads
    This sounds cool, just turn off hardcore, I can't drive in cockpit cam.

11. Chrishon Elliott

Chrishon Elliott New Member

12. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Guys you do realize this thread is almost a year old right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.