42 - Clover Camaro - DOV1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

[Teaser] Daytona 2020 BBMC Day & Night

Matt Baker

SRD Member
Reaction score
Which ever is the most compelling and speaks the most to how this track should look. Sorry I couldn't help, but go for the deep thought approach there haha. Night is good for me!

timnsr72

SRD Member
Reaction score
I prefer the darker sky, but if I can be picky for a moment I feel that it’s too “pitch black” ... just my 2 cents

CAkin24

Dang it Bobby!!
SRD Member
Reaction score
There aren't nearly enough true night sky textures, my vote would definitely be for a dark sky.

Rufio2031

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
There aren't nearly enough true night sky textures, my vote would definitely be for a dark sky.
Well what's tough with a night sky is that it's black. To add detail you need to add light, in which it doesn't become night anymore. We'll see what we can do.

You're crazy. The lighting is like next level perfect. I wouldn't change a thing @Rufio2031
Well the reason I wanted more than just "it's not great" is because I actually am not the biggest fan of Charlotte lighting either. Lighting is a never ending battle between @halfwayglad and myself. With that said, we're not finished but I personally am loving the lighting of this next track.

halfwayglad

BBMC Tracks
SRD Member
Reaction score
Yup, can confirm. @Rufio2031 and I are always talking about lighting. My opinion is that we have to have darker darks and lighter lights to create atmosphere, since we don't have the engine effects of modern games. The flip side is sometimes this means embellishing a little to create a mood rather than keeping things a bit more realistic e.g. brighter. I'm optimistic we'll get a good balance for Daytona.

MattyO

Salty
Admin
Reaction score
I live in Charlotte. Been close to 20-25 races at CMS. I assure you, your lighting isn't perfect, and might could use some tweaks, but it's pretty damn close to the real thing. When night falls, you can't see the sky, because all you see is the lighting around the track. Everything else just drowns out.

Full disclosure, when I fire up NR2003, I don't watch the cars go around the track and fawn over cars details, trackside objects and crowds. If and when I race NR2003, I ride in the cockpit with everything enabled graphics wise. The only time I'm not in the cockpit is to do testing. Check LOD state switches, textures shit like that. So I do watch the cars run the tracks on occasion.

I used your Charlotte track pretty much exclusively for testing the NXS20 mod. And was blown away at how close you guys got the track lighting.

J.R.Franklin

SRD Member
Reaction score
I've made some new "full night" skies for our Project: Short track tracks that look pretty realistic. Feel free to check them out and use them. They are embedded in our most recent PST night tracks. Some are full "black" night sky and others have a slight tint. There's one I kind of like that has a bit of a "smokey" "misty" tint to it.

I use "progressive" night skies where the sky is sunset during practice, qualifying and happy hour and then changes to full night sky during race mode. Perhaps that's something you guys might want to consider to satisfy all of the guys here who like the early evening sunset skies. (Hit me up on PM and I'll get them to you @halfwayglad and @Rufio2031.)

One thing is for sure, you can rarely, if ever, see stars, let alone the moon if it's out. I've been to many night races (Daytona, Homestead, Richmond and many short tracks) and @MattyO is 100% right.... at night races the sky above is pitch black. At the high level NASCAR Cup tracks, the power of these bright MUSCO lighting systems pretty much dominates the entire environment.

artofspeed

Star Fox cosplayer and fan of Cheezits
SRD Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way @Rufio2031 and @halfwayglad :The only thing that should matter when it comes to the sky's realistic look is what time of the day(or night in this case) you want, and at the end of the day, and I'm sure @MattyO and others that use the game as it's intended to be used, it's a racing sim, and even if you race outside of the cockpit, you should be concentrating on racing and what's going on around you more than what the sky looks like. I do feel those that nitpick stuff about a track like lighting and sky texture are those that do those AI races and maybe never step foot into the cockpit. I personally like the dark night feel during racing, and I feel it make it better on a graphic performance side since I would imagine having something one or two shades has less impact than something like what is in your screenshot. As @J.R.Franklin alluded to, if you wanted something different and interesting, you could do a progressive sky where it changes each session(which is really cool by the way). I do agree with a lot of those that say dark sky, but at the end of the day, it is your track, you are its creator. I know I, as well as others, appreciate the time you both, as well as other track creators like J.R. Franklin, put into the tracks you make, to add that extra bit of realism for something small that may go unnoticed, all for free and to keep an old sim alive, and for that, I thank you!