1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

To say 2020 is gonna be a year of change for NASCAR would be an understatment.

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by USSTalladega, May 19, 2018.

1. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

A new article was released recently with some interesting info regarding changes being seriously considered for the 2020 season. Though the first part deals with how increasingly frustrated the team owners are becoming with NASCAR's brass especially the slow rollout of changes to the sport. So basically the team owners want less and shorter races(and at a larger variety of tracks) along with a spending cap for every aspect of a team. Steve O'Donnell wants cup drivers completely banned from the lower series which many lower series team owners are against. NASCAR itself wants midweek races at tracks near or in cities.

Below are the main or interesting bits.

You can read the whole thing here. https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...5/14/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NASCAR.aspx

What do you all think about all this? Should iRacing be used as a legit draft for team owners? Would spec equipment across the board help the sport long term? Would midweek races actually work as presented?

For me personally, honestly at this point...yes. Period. "There's nothing stock about a stock car." Go watch some IROC races on Youtube and tell me you wouldn't want to see that every race. Or any modified race at Loudon for that matter. Sure it would require a drastic reduction in HP and therefore make every race a "plate race" but I seriously doubt most people like seeing the same handful of drivers winning 90% of the races in the last 5 years. 30 cars/trucks should have a legit chance at the win at the end of a race and not just 5. Hell everything on or inside the cars are virtually the same anyways it's just who is specifically putting their hands on them. Have the chassis made by one company. Have the engines made by another. Five Star already makes all the body panels for ARCA, K&N Pro and now Xfinity. So expand that to cup and trucks as well. That way the raceteams themselves just assemble and repair the cars/trucks at their shops. Yes it would mean no more 10 second MoV's or insane race dominations like Truex during the 600 but that is the price that must be paid for actual competition and getting asses back in seats.

Using iRacing though to draft drivers into real teams every year I don't think would be a good idea. There are enough low level real world races that need and never get a shot as is.

As for midweek races in big cities I say go for it. And for short tracks in or near those big cities that can't support 40 cars/32trucks at once simply split up the field and just run 2 separate races with equal points and purses similar to the Duals.

I'm gonna make a separate thread later for everyone to share their personal wishes for everything that they would do(like split races over a weekend or replacing Goodyear) with the sport. Just keep everything about what is specifically presented here.

2. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

At this point the original product is so bastardized that blowing it all up isn’t a terrible idea. At least it won’t be stuck in a rut pretending it’s 2005 anymore.

3. chevy29

chevy29 Well-Known Member

Similar equipment is not what auto racing has ever been about! It's about building your own equipment, to perform at it's best.

4. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Drastically cutting costs that at the same time would raise the competition level is what is needed.

MrDude68 likes this.
  5. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Really I wish they would backpedal on some of the garbage that they've introduced within the past handful of years, like the charters, "playoff" championship format, stage racing, and crash clock. Those were all changes NASCAR never should have made in the first place (the playoff format in particular is what bothers me most).

dalejr88rox, nj9703 and CJL5 like this.
  6. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

I think the stages have been great honestly. I'd agree with the charters, 1 race playoff, and crash clock though.

Tetronix and starscream24 like this.
  7. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Yeah I will concede that the stages are the least problematic of the changes I listed. Still something feels off about racing with them though... probably because I know it's manufactured drama.

canadienhits likes this.
  8. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

At the very least for the stages, they shouldn't count the caution breaks towards the lap count.... Hell part of me wishes they'd remove the caution period instead.

9. Tetronix

Tetronix Winner of Most Pepsi Consumed in a Year

Let's just throw in virtual safety cars and Parc Ferme rules and call it a day - better than crash clocks and charters and all this other fancy stuff that hurts the sport. (Not that those two ideas would help any :p)

10. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Ban all Cup drivers from Xfinity or Truck Races permanently, but also run Stages 1 and 2 of Cup races on Saturdays. Then just run Stage 3, which is usually the second half of any given Cup race, on Sundays for the big crowd and TV audience. That would alleviate the complaints of the Cup races being too long and boring, allow the lower tier races to have their own stars and be free from what used to be known as Buschwhacking, while also shoring up the loss in value the Saturday ticket would have without the Cup drivers in the lower tier races.

It's different...probably too different for the people who run Nascar, but it's this sort of out of the box thinking that Nascar is going to need to entertain in the not too distant future.

The playoff system has to stay in some form. Take that away, go back to the old days when the championship was decided with 1 or 2 races left in the season, and you'll see the races at the end of the season have the lowest TV ratings ever seen from a Cup race.

11. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of an idea I had for golf to play the first nine of the final round in the morning and then repair and make the back 9 a made for TV event. I find that they are often tired by the back 9 and network TV often gets the most boring golf of the week

12. Tanner Levasseur

Tanner Levasseur Well-Known Member Banned

I completely respect your ideas but i would be lying if I said I agree with most of them, I think making the cars made by the one company would further lessen the distinction of each car, mid week races are a yes, especially short tracks. Budget caps are a must, especially with less sponsors nowadays. Stop promoting young talent and focus on every driver equally, and stop teams from giving rides to young drivers who haven't proven themselves, cough* cough* Matt Tifft, Brandon Jones, Austin Cindric, and other pay/ Wanna be drivers. IRacing is not the solution either, nor is splitting the field in 2, to gimmicky, just like the freaking crash clock, stage racing, and points format.

13. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

Stages haven't added anything worthwhile to NASCAR. 1-2 laps of excitement doesn't make up for the complete butchering of interesting strategies and fuel mileage racing. Awarding points based on where a driver is running at the 1/3 mark is the most asinine gimmicky thing literally ever introduced to a motorsport short of Formula E's fanboost.

Stages are a complete cancer to NASCAR and only exist because the Chase blew open the doors for tons of gimmicks. Nobody wants this, we want endurance racing like NASCAR used to be. We want a straight forward series because simplicity is what made NASCAR great.

We now have a series where the first 26 races don't matter for a huge chunk of the field and points literally don't matter. I can't tell you off the top of my head where anybody is in the standings because it doesn't matter unless you're 30th.

NASCAR needs to be blown up and completely rebuilt, because the cancerous presence of Rob Kauffman is too much now. Nuke the whole god damn thing and start over, because it's not the series many of us fell in love with 15 years ago anymore

14. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Kyle Busch, 2015 season.

I would agree. Nuke the whole thing, wipe the slate clean, listen to drivers and team owners to a point, drop Kauffman on a deserted island.

NASCAR needs to return to its roots. If you want to involve the fans, have a vote the year before on which local short track (from an approved list) they will visit the next year. A few thousand people at a 1.5 miler looks sparse, but at a 3/4 or 1/2 miler (or shorter), the house is packed. Marketing perception of a "packed house" comes with benefits. Just a thought.

dalejr88rox likes this.
  15. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

I hate the stages, but I'd hate them a lot less if there was no caution during them. What's the point of stopping the race?

16. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

I think the only thing the stages need differently is to not count caution laps between them. Its dumb and just wastes like 15 laps. I think the stages have definitely been a success, one of the few in recent memory. They haven't taken away strategy for the finish and its not like a lot of races went totally caution free before them.

17. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I've personally never had a problem with long races. I would be sad that everything would become short sprint races and no longer about endurance and epic comebacks.

18. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong #Pray4theSouth

^ I totally agree with this. As long as you ask me on any night than this one, the long races are the best!

19. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Stages were implemented because drivers would often remark on how they were "cruising" around for the early part of the race and not actually racing. Nascar decided there should be some reason to care, but the only thing teams would really care about is points. Stage points make a difference at the end of the regular season, and that will be proven over and over again as the years go on. The more teams realize that stage point matter, the more they're going to want to actually race instead of cruise in the first half of a race. This is a good thing.

Before the Chase, points never really mattered to anyone anyway until maybe the July Daytona race that used to mark halfway more or less in the Nascar season. Now we can say wins earn playoff spots instead of just being for funzies up through midsummer. Is that a benefit? I don't know. Having 16 drivers in championship contention with 10 races to go instead of maybe 2 or 3 with 5 or 6 mathematical longshots behind them with 10 races to go, which is how the old system almost always wound up, is better IMO. It gives those longshots have a better chance of winning, even though that's a bit of a double edged sword.

In NCAA basketball, if a #16 seed were to ever beat a #1, there would be headlines from Honolulu to Hoboken about the ***amazing*** feat. In MENCS playoffs though, if the 16th seed ever won the championship, Nascar fans would just complain about the how the gimmicky system failed once again to produce the real champion. I've always thought that strange, but Nascar fans have proven time & again to be virtually impossible to please.

15 years ago. So...2003, the year before the Chase? You're telling me you fell in love with a series that produced Matt Kenseth as champion from a grand total of 1 win and 11 top 5's all season, having lead the standings for 33 straight weeks beginning in March and clinching the championship before the last race of the season, having bested Jimmie Johnson's 3 wins and 14 top 5's, and Ryan Newman's 8 wins and 17 top 5's simply because Johnson/Newman also had more DNFs? That's interesting. Kenseth also had a seemingly insurmountable 436 point lead by the September Dover race. So what was the reason to tune in to the October races, other than just to see who won?

Run those very same results in 2019, and I highly doubt it would produce anything but a precipitous drop in both ratings and attendance at a far greater rate than we've seen. Nobody wants to see the same guy atop the standings for 8 solid months while others are amassing wins that ultimately amount to nothing. Nobody wants the championship to basically be over 2 months before the season actually ends. I'll take the stages, the playoffs, and all the other so-called "gimmicks" over that any day, and that's coming from 27 years of watching these races. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears, but anyone who says we should just go back to 2003 can't possibly actually want what that system produced, nor would that be a viable business model in today's social media age.

20. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

Yes. I literally did. I grew up watching NASCAR and 2003 was the first year I closely followed it, and loved it. You don't need a gimmicky championship format to draw in viewers. Literally all you have to do is compare attendance from then and now

Spike likes this.