1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

UPDATE: Cup Drivers Shake Down 2019 Series Rules Package At Atlanta Motor Speedway

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by ShadowKnight508, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series

A quartet of Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers shook down Charlotte Motor Speedway’s 1.5-mile oval in a Goodyear tire test on Tuesday. Erik Jones, William Byron, Daniel Hemric and title contender Aric Almirola previewed NASCAR’s 2019 rules package – a form of which debuted in May’s Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race and Monster Energy Open at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Among the changes to the rules package for next year are an eight-inch by 61-inch rear spoiler, a 37-inch-wide radiator pan that tapers to 31 inches and a front splitter with a two-inch overhang.

“This package has even more power,” Jones said. “I don’t think we’ll be close to wide open once we get rolling. It depends on how much you need to trim it out. We’ve tried some stuff where you can gain some easy speed – three or four-tenths of a second – but we don’t really know yet how that’s going to affect you in a pack. We’ve got 100 more horsepower now and a little bit more downforce (than the original All-Star package).”

Byron, the leader in the race for Rookie of the Year, said the new package should offer fun racing for drivers.

“The biggest difference is you’re accelerating into a corner, which is a different feel for most of us,” Byron said. “Other than that, I feel like guys can figure it out pretty soon. (This package) is more about precision with how you’re around guys and how you make moves. It’s still racing, it’s the same race car and you’ll have to do the same things to go fast.”

Hemric, the NASCAR Xfinity Series points leader and a native of nearby Kannapolis, North Carolina, made laps around his home track in his fourth tour in a Cup Series car.

“I feel like that with the tire we’re on and the package we’re driving, the speed sensation is still there and they’ve done a good job with this package,” said Hemric, who will drive Richard Childress Racing’s No. 31 Chevrolet in next year’s Monster Energy Cup season. “I’m looking forward to seeing how the speeds change when we’re in a draft. … Your corner entry points are pretty much the same. Once we get some more laps in, we’ll get a better idea, but we’re pretty happy with it so far. … We’re finding little things that matter. There’s risk versus reward with how much speed you want to gain versus how much better you want it to drive.”

The new rules package will debut at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Feb. 24, 2019. Atlanta will also host a Goodyear tire test on Tuesday, Oct. 30.

SOURCE: http://www.catchfence.com/278838/drivers-shake-down-2019-nascar-rules-package-in-goodyear-tire-test

2. ShadowKnight508

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Wheeze

Byron only ran 30 laps before his engine blew

4. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

Some things never change, I guess...

5. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

Every time NASCAR tests a new aero package it’s great, but when you get 30+ cars on the track at the same time it still sucks. Not holding my breath

Spike likes this.
  6. ShadowKnight508

Credit to NASCAR.com:

20.jpg

Four drivers received their first sampling of the 2019 Monster Energy Series rules package Tuesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. For Aric Almirola, the Goodyear tire test was a double dose of newness.

Almirola soaked in the new aerodynamic setup, joining William Byron, Daniel Hemric and Erik Jones in sorting through the 2019 rules. But as the only Ford driver participating, Almirola also had the first opportunity to shake down the Monster Energy Series’ 2019 Mustang in its first official on-track session.

“I think it’s collective, right?” Almirola said during the lunchtime intermission between tests. “We’ve got a brand-new car that we need to learn information on and find out as much data as we can, but then on top of that we have a brand-new rules package that we also need to learn as much as we can and gain as much information as we can, so that way we can have a head-start in the offseason of a direction we need to head.”

The intermediate-track package was in place with a target 550-horsepower output, aero ducts, and downforce-creating devices in an 8-inch tall spoiler, a front splitter with 2-inch overhang and a wider radiator pan (37 inches wide in the front, tapering to 31 inches at the rear).

Teams focused on single-car runs in the morning session with plans to concentrate on running closer together in a four-car pack by afternoon. Similar packages have already seen the light of day in NASCAR competition, with a comparable (but lower horsepower) setup for this year’s Monster Energy All-Star Race and a package that used the air ducts at select speedways for the Xfinity Series.

Hemric, moving up to the Cup Series full-time with Richard Childress Racing in 2019, said he hopes that his Xfinity experience with the ducts in place helps him adapt to the new package. But he also said that his initial impression of Tuesday’s test was that competition officials had found a happy medium between the current package and the All-Star rules.

“Honestly from watching the All-Star as a fan, I thought it looked slow and I expected it to feel that way being in it for the first time on the Cup side,” Hemric said. “I was like, ‘Ah, I’m going to run easy wide open.’ I went to go run wide open into Turn 1 and as you drop down in it, you knew you were still going 180 miles an hour, so the speed sensation is there with this package so I think they’ve done a good job of the horsepower and the downforce, balancing that out.”

Jones said that a prime effect of the new rules was an alteration of his racing line, that the increase in downforce allowed him to take a wider arc into the corners. He said that he drew parallels between the All-Star and Xfinity duct packages, but that there was still plenty to learn about the 2019 setup over the course of the day.

“I think this package is a little bit faster, not a lot,” Jones said. “They had power and we’ve been pretty close to easy wide open all day, but I think once you get in a pack here, I don’t think you’ll be anywhere close to wide open once we get rolling. It’s been good. It’s just a learning process of how much you’ve got to trim it out and how much you’ve got to build these cars into downforce cars and work on handling to be good in the pack.”

Note: The test time for Byron was shortened by engine trouble in his Hendrick Motorsports No. 24 Chevrolet. Byron said he ran an estimated 30 laps before he was forced to the garage. The rookie finished 38th in the 40-car field last weekend at Kansas, retiring after 55 laps with engine failure.

SOURCE: https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...peedway-goodyear-tire-test-2019-rules-package

7. ShadowKnight508

NASCAR Drivers Shake Down 2019 Package In Goodyear Tire Test At Atlanta Motor Speedway (Credit to Catchfence):

Some of NASCAR's top drivers and teams got a taste of the sport's new racing package for 2019 during a Goodyear tire test on Atlanta Motor Speedway's high banks Tuesday.

"This is unlike anything I've experienced over all of my years in Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series racing," 7-time champion Jimmie Johnson said.

As previously announced, NASCAR's 2019 racing package calls for vehicle body aerodynamic changes and a horsepower reducing tapered engine spacer producing an estimated 550 horsepower at tracks like Atlanta Motor Speedway. Johnson, a veteran of the sport who has won five times at Atlanta, took Tuesday's test as an opportunity to learn and get up to speed with the new package.

"With how cool it was this morning, the lower horsepower and the bigger downforce package, I wasn't sure how much we'd lift and if we would lift at all," Johnson said. "Atlanta Motor Speedway's track surface is abrasive and we had assumed that you would have to at some point. It wasn't many laps a run that you had to lift."

Two-time cup series winner Ryan Blaney said the high level of tire wear, an element that Atlanta Motor Speedway's older asphalt has become known for, will make for dynamic racing when the 2019 package debuts at the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 on February 24.

"I feel like there's going to be some comers and goers when tires fall off. How well you run will be a matter of how well you take care of your tires throughout a run and your car has to handle well," Blaney said. "You're not just flat-out, wide-open around here."

"That's what makes Atlanta cool and that's what I've really enjoyed about it in the past," added Erik Jones, who also tested the 2019 package at Charlotte Motor Speedway one week ago.

Going to school on the new package in a test setting was helpful, but drivers said there are still a lot of unknowns that will only become clear when a full field of 40 cars take the green flag at the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500.

"We feel like we have an idea of the way things will go, but it's still not all that clear yet," Johnson said. "None of us know. We're all speculating."

The Atlanta NASCAR Weekend features Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying on Friday, Feb. 22, the NASCAR XFINITY Series Rinnai 250 and NASCAR Gander Mountain Truck Series 200-mile race doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 23, and culminates with the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday, Feb. 24.

Tickets for the 2019 Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 can be purchased by contacting Atlanta Motor Speedway at (770) 946-4211, (877) 9-AMS-TIX or by visiting www.atlantamotorspeedway.com.

SOURCE: http://www.catchfence.com/279066/na...st-for-2019-package-at-atlanta-motor-speedway

5bd8aa5d2b0e6.image.jpg 5bd8aa5dc6f1f.image.jpg 5bd8aa6042479.image.jpg

8. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

Thank you for including the pictures of the cars. Call me crazy but I enjoy seeing them.

9. Keselowski2Wallace

Keselowski2Wallace Keselowski2Wallace

Lightning McQueen called, he wants his spoiler back...

10. ShadowKnight508

11. Swagger Racing 26

Swagger Racing 26 Well-Known Member

Yimmie Yohnson!!

ShadowKnight508 likes this.
  12. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

This is.... concerning.... DBF04BE3-0696-4F81-AE1D-52492CFD2293.jpeg

13. ShadowKnight508

Here is what Erik Jones said (taken from iRacing forum and Reddit):

TRD is having a special Motorsports Day today and the Sirius/XM NASCAR "Skinner Round-up" is down there providing live coverage. Interviews with all the Toyota drivers as well as executives. Here are the highlights from their interview with Erik Jones about the new 2019 package:

• It is just like how he remembers the trucks being;
    • He anticipates the guys who are good in trucks will be good in Cup;
    • They were able to completely run Charlotte without lifting on the throttle, just like a plate race;
    • At Atlanta they were able to do some lifting and so find ways to pass without being totally dependent on draft;
    • Expect to see guys who usually run midpack and maybe even back markers to sometimes be running up front (here Skinner chimed in that this could be chaotic as when these guys do get up front they will try even harder and take more chances, they also are not familiar how to race the guys who are always up front, Jones agreed);
    • Cars will be bunched up, so expect wrecks to take out about twice as many cars as previously.
    SOURCE: https://old.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comments/9tbkz9/erik_jones_comments_after_testing_new_2019/

14. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Guess Sauter and Crafton can make the leap to Cup now. ;)

RacerXero84 likes this.
  15. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Of course what they are saying now wont exactly match what we are going to get when Goodyear brings the much softer tires for the Atlanta weekend. Not sure why people(elsewhere) are still freaking out that every race is gonna be like Dayton of Talladega from lap 1 to lap 267. The trucks still separate big time over the course of a long run. The cup cars will be no different with all the lifting they will be doing. The best cars will still win under normal circumstances.

Shockey Rai likes this.
  16. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

Don't you bring that common sense in here. There's no place for it 'round these here parts.