Latest resources

FreeCamera NascarMan32
A new, working camera editor for NR2003!
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - BRIS2 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - DAY3 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - KAN1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
98 - Ford Performance Racing School Mustang - TEX1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated

What happened to Hi Grip Wreckers?

bubbadodge

SRD Member
Reaction score
I tried to download something there and all of a sudden it's strange? I don't know what happened there. Anyone by chance have any info on it?

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
SRD Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate but inevitable. Was such a fun and crazy server back in the day. I know its made me a better driver in real life lol.

bubbadodge

SRD Member
Reaction score

MrNorm

SRD Member
Reaction score
Very true.

Yeah, I didn't figure it'd last much past this year. I never raced there, but the site was awesome. I wonder what made the owner get rid of it.
I'm surprised anyone even noticed. I started HGW back in June of 2003 and almost from day one I had haters on my back because, as they said ("that ain't real racing, real nascar don't have all that grip"), they said it in a way that made NR2003 SIM real as walking, I found that, cute. I kept the server going because people were there every day, 20+ cars at first until I rented a server and then we had a full 42 slots and most every night we would get 35+ drivers on the track, all trying to take the leader out. The ones that came soon found out that if you won a race at HGW, you earned it in a way unlike any other server or race, real or sim, as the leader you had to avoid getting slammed into the wall and that was no easy feat.

When the Papy servers finally went down HGW still had great crowds because we were running League races, with real prizes, not crap like other people did. We also started an IROC series that raced after every 3rd League season and the prizes there we even bigger, things like real Gold coins ($10 Gold Eagle), trips to real NASCAR races like Bristol and Lowes/Charlotte, Racing Wheels, Big Monitors, High-End headsets, real Trophys, some up to 4 ft. tall depending on the if they won a Season or an IROC Championship Series... etc etc, stuff that cost the people nothing, they just had to show up and win, and it was a blast.

I had been making tracks, cars and a bunch of other stuff since N3 and when NR2002 came out I stepped things up on the creation side. Towards the end of the Papy servers run (before they went down) I started finding my tracks, cars and graphics being used by others and when I went to check it out I found my work had been changed a tiny bit and re-branded under someone elses name and they got all kinds of accolades for ripping me off, when I brought it up I got shot down or my posts deleted, why, well it seemed most thought I was a 12 year old kid that didn't have a clue and I didn't matter, after all, what kind of retard makes a server for wreckers, they must be a moron and probably didn't make those cars, tracks and other stuff anyways, that was the start of my saying,"why do I even bother, no one gives a crap about me and my work anyways". When 2013 came around and the HGW server had been up for 10 years I started seeing people doing all kinds of great callouts for other server owners and how great it was they were still around after 7 or 8 years, one even claiming to be the longest running, but HGW and myself, I guess I was still just an idiot because I got no recognition at all, from anyone, in the end HGW ran 13+ years when I closed it. In the last 5 years the only ones that still raced on HGW in a regular basis were the few that had been around for 10+ years, but they ended up moving on because no one came but those 6 (or so).

Time had moved on, the Papy servers were gone and not too many raced N2k3 anymore and as much as I tried to get the word out, and even though I was on the SMS Lobby, no one cared, no one came and I would still hear the "he's just some idiot kid" comment from time to time, even though I had a YouTube page, a FaceBook page and also my forums which all showed I was no kid, no one bothered looking or believing, again, why, because only a stupid kid would make a wreckers server. It finally got to the point where the server might get 1 or 2 people on a week, no one new joined the forums and, it seemed to me, I was only good as a piece of floor for people to walk on. So, with that and events in my real life I just dropped into severe depression and stopped it all in 2016-17*, it just took an extra year for it all end, and even when I closed it all down, for months no one cared or even noticed, that's why I'm so surprised to see this.

I'm still in that state of depression but slowly coming out of it, I'm this kind of person that thinks dead don't really mean dead, but, in the case of HGW, after 5 years of trying to get it going again, it won't happen. N2k3 had it's day, it was a blast but with no support (and I don't mean the money kind, I never did ask for that, I paid for all the prizes out of my pocket, over $10k) and with no one really caring at all, I gave up and called it quits. That's the way it is, I still have all the server files and everything to put it back in place, but, no one cares so why even bother is the way I feel.

MrNorm (HGW Website and Server Owner)

(P.S. For the record, I'm over 60, retired and a Grandfather several times over and graduated from school at the top (#1) of my class back in the day, I'm not a kid nor am I an idiot.)
now you know
( *I had to think on that, wasn't sure if I closed it in 2016 or 17 but in retrospect, I closed it all June 2017 )

Last edited:

JEarnhardtFan33

SRD Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, its a shame people have to be such assholes on the internet, but thanks for making those tracks, they were an absolute blast to play on.

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
SRD Member
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't know about all that. People suck.

I thank you for everything you have done for this community. I don't even remember how many races I actually won but I do remember that it was fun as hell.

MrNorm

SRD Member
Reaction score
So I was talking to some folks and they were wondering if HGW would ever be put back online. I decided, after some back and forth that I would put it up again in case there was some interest. I'm still doing some tweeking on it but for the most part it is up and running again. The info to get in is on my Forums page here: HGW FORUMS
It's in the original CUP mod and all default tracks so it's easy to connect.

123456789colton

SRD Member
Reaction score
Awesome man!!! I've always wanted to race with you guys. I now have a gaming pc and a good internet connection so I might race if you guys get it back up and running. Loved your tracks that's for sure!!!

You're the reason why I wanted to start editing tracks and messing around with ini / lp files. So thank you!