1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

What's your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Sep 19, 2018.

1. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Post however you feel, one way or the other. Don't fear the banhammer, I don't care and the other mods don't care one way or the other.
    At this point with the NR2003 community, I'm curious to see how everyone feels about what he's saying.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  2. joeykraus19

joeykraus19 Well-Known Member

In the beginning he was talking about people not letting someone upload an update and I knew he was talking about Stunod. I feel like that site wants to suck life out of everyone there. I completely agree with what he says though. I've never created a track but to put hours upon hours into creating something and not uploading doesn't make sense to me. I feel like if you edit a track and upload it while giving credit to the creator isn't a problem. But what do I know?

3. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I was wondering when this would hit the forums...... I'll simply post here what I said on Facebook:

I can SORT of see his point; hoarding content for the sake of it, but that's their choice, that's their work. People have learned to live with it.
    That being said.... this blase 'f- all' attitude, no way this goes over well with the people who spend days/weeks/months creating a track. He's right, likely, that he cannot be sued for it per se, however, it's that little thing called respect for the content creator.
    I've been fortunate enough to have a couple track designers send me early releases of their tracks to test and provide feedback, and I have upheld, to this day, my agreement not to re-post. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

End result of his scenario: A bunch of up-to-date Cup tracks get released. Then you are likely going to have to find new content creators, because quite a few will likely stop producing anything for anyone else.
    EDIT: Also, I can see this dude getting absolutely blackballed in leagues because of this, thus making this a likely one-off; if he can't get his hands on unreleased stuff anymore, this becomes less than meaningless.

Seen it before, again, never ends well for the average joe.

I dunno, I'm of the frame of mind that if I spend a butt load of time creating, say, a perfected track on the cup schedule, and I choose to simply use it personally, I don't think anyone has the right to TELL me or try and shame me in some way into releasing it. To me that sounds a little too entitled. Just my 2 cents I guess.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. MattyO

I get what he's saying about editing a track from someone who's no longer in the community and trying to get in contact with them isn't going to happen. I feel giving credit is good enough, just don't pawn it off as your own.

But then putting up league edited tracks not intended for the public, well, he's going to get some blow back from that. Not everyone makes stuff for this sim for everyone and anyone to use. As hard as that is to understand, sometimes people don't feel like sharing their work with everyone. Putting up their work if you get a hold of it and saying "what can you do about it" is a punk move. Punk moves have consequences.

5. RacerXero84

Also worth noting, in case people are curious.... in the comment section of the video, some of the track/mod makers are starting to chime in, Splash n Go, WKC (John Norton), and I think one other.

Generally speaking, they don't seem overly thrilled. I know of two more individuals from other groups/creators that have expressed their displeasure at this on social media.

6. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Do I Wanna Know?

I think it goes on a case-by-case basis. If you find old tracks from some groups that are no longer around, like Piggz Racing or High Grip Wreckers, I would say that would fall in the realm of release for preservation. However, if you're releasing someone's betas or league-only tracks you better be ready to defend yourself.

I bet you if he does this we'll see a post from him a year from now wondering why the amount of new tracks has dried up.

7. Ryan81398

Ryan81398 93 Wins

I don't exactly disagree with the thought that if you spent so much time working on it, why not release it for everyone, but it's also something that the person made so it should be up to them whether they want it released or not imo. And on older stuff, there's a whole bunch of stuff lost due to websites going down so reposting something from a dead site that was made publicly available (with credit) is something I see as good to keep the community going.

Tetronix and joeykraus19 like this.
  8. RacerXero84

So on the point of him getting blackballed and this being a one off.... evidently there are others that feed him this content, which I think makes matters worse:
    Screenshot_20180919-210056_Facebook.jpg

joeykraus19 likes this.
  9. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

To quote myself from Facebook as well:
    "He's gonna be kicked to the curb by other members of the community. He's also probably gonna find himself less likely to have access to tracks whether they're league edits or not now that he's posted this..... Not to mention how many people he's gonna piss off by releasing scratch-made tracks (regardless if 3dos have been borrowed from other tracks or not) that are technically the IP of their respective creators. I know I wouldn't like to see Westgate Speedpark posted anywhere that I haven't posted it myself...."

10. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder Why are you the way that you are?

Let's not ignore the fact that he's recording his video outside because he's probably one of those guys who never even sees the light of day. He doesn't want to show off how many empty bags of Doritos, pop bottles, cigarette butts, and McDonald's bags he has laying around. Stupid sack of shit probably eats cheese whiz off of cheetos while drinking out of a three liter bottle of mountain dew. Hell, and that's probably just the basement of Mommy's house.

But seriously, this is not good for the community. Even when I had a falling out with certain members of a certain league, I didn't share their versions of tracks. It's kinda like personal property. If I put it outside on my lawn, it's not free for whoever sees it. It's mine. I really hope track makers make good decisions in who they let beta test for them, or even just keep projects unannounced until an official release. There will always be things that pop up every now and then, but there's two ways to go about it. This is not the right way.

TL;DR We've found Toad's son.

11. bvc

bvc Get Sanchized

Jesus Christ it's just a game.

12. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

Stuff like this popping up just reminds me how ridiculous this shit gets sometimes. I've been the owner of a league for like 6 months now and the amount of drama I've seen unfold over a game is so fuckin ridiculous. Just respect each other's stuff, it's not hard. Notice how it's always the people not making anything who do shit like this.

I'm not surprised that this guy is the one doing this too. He and a number of other sim racers kicked almost a dozen drivers out of their league for "racist and homophobic slurs" while constantly rattling off the N-word and saying the drivers from my league have "butt cum", so we all know how much of a tone deaf mouth breather this guy is

13. David Robb

David Robb Well-Known Member

My main problem is the unbearably infrequent track updates we get. Sure its a bit more frequent than iracing, but you'd think people who love making the tracks would go through the effort of making yearly updates, trying to improve the smaller details, etc. Instead we get long stretches where people are stuck with tracks 4, 5, 6 years out of date. That's not acceptable to me. We need people on top of keeping this game as recent as possible.

joeykraus19 and D0rant like this.
  14. MattyO

I hate that answer.

Almost as much as I hate the term "toxic" the new generation likes to use. It's not even about the game. It's about the hours, days, weeks and months spent making this stuff. It's a hobby for many of us. A hobby we enjoy and believe it or not, enjoy sharing with some of you.

When some snot nosed kid like Mr.Neckbeard sitting at mom and dad's house is going to tell Tom, Dick and Harry that he can do whatever he wants with all that work they put into that track, mod, 3do, track texture etc..... it is going to piss people off. And when they can't get what they want and get a tongue lashing because of their uniformed, uneducated, lack of respect attitude, then all of a sudden the community is "toxic".

This isn't directed at you specifically @bvc . I'm just putting it out there, that yes it is a game. But it is much more than that when you are trying to update the game. It's a lot of work. Thankless work. Shit just gets old when people think they can do whatever they want to your work.

It's precisely the reason why no one paints car anymore. Make tracks anymore, make mods anymore, make templates anymore, make template extra's anymore. I was just saying the other day of how much content is no longer being made because instead of making stuff, now most people just have their hand out. And the same people with their hand out have the gall to tell everyone they can do whatever they hell they want with your work.
    I gotta say, it's impressive seeing the brass balls some of these kids.

Lottech96, Spike, Tetronix and 4 others like this.
  15. David Robb

David Robb Well-Known Member

NewWorld's only real issue is with those who don't release tracks, especially when you have leagues that hoard recently updated tracks that other people need to keep up to date with. I can understand custom AI/ini stuff that you want to keep exclusive, but at least release track updates that the rest of the community needs, so they aren't stuck with tracks that are behind by several years.

joeykraus19 and D0rant like this.
  16. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

Why should they? It's their track. They can do what they want, and nobody is entitled or deserves a new version of a track

17. MattyO

It's the person's choice whether or not they want to release what they've done to the public. You're not entitled to anything. That train of thought is exactly what's wrong with the community.
    [EDIT] @dalejr88rox took the words right out of my mouth as I hit send,lol.[EDIT]

18. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

Yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about. Track making is one of the longest processes in the game simply due to its complexity. From what I understand, it's pretty taxing and takes a ton of work. When it takes that much work, you can't expect there to be a ton of updates every year. That and you have to consider most of the great people we have making tracks aren't just people with no lives doing it cause it's all they have, most of them have lives outside the game and have a job or family, they have shit to do. On top of that, it isn't a job and they don't get a reward for it other than pleasing others and feeling accomplished. I'm sure it gets boring after a while no matter how much you love it. You need to be a lot more grateful for what we're already constantly given than complain about what there isn't.

19. Ceafus 88

Ceafus 88 Well-Known Member

Open the sandbox and get to work then. Stop being entitled to everything, stop demanding that track makers cater to you, and stop saying you think it's "unacceptable" that someone didn't release something that took a lot of hard work when you wanted it. So get to it, start making a track. Like you said "we are sick of waiting for updates."

Jesus fuck the nerve of some people...

20. MattyO

Hello,
    Fuck off with that attitude. Fuck right off.
    Sincerely,
    Every track maker/editor ever...