1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

What's your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Sep 19, 2018.

1. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

It's always nice when a few rotten apples ruin something for thousands of others. Are we really going to let that happen? We are, aren't we? This whole dramatic episode is nauseating, and let me tell you, it's not just the guy in the video. We are actually going to let this game die because of people like this. Unbelievable.

2. J.R.Franklin

J.R.Franklin Well-Known Member

Still doesn't give him an excuse to act like a jackass and post a video rant like that. :rolleyes:

3. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I really do not want to lock and key my future content. I will admit though it is very tempting to just pull the plug on my website (that I pay for to host the files I made) and call it a day just making mods but not worry about releasing them anymore.

I'm gunna just let things cool off and whenever I decide to start making tracks again I'll see how I feel about publicly releasing them. Worst case I will just distribute the tracks privately to community members I trust only. I like 90% of the people in the NR2003 community. Its that small group who make it insufferable at times like this week though.

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Interesting side note:
    iRacing is producing (and evidently going to great lengths) AI for their service. This is a pretty clear move to tap into this community and a couple others besides.
    I wonder how they would feel if they found out ole boy was actively discussing/looking into making a 'simplified installer' for completely updated tracks, mods, and physics model?
    I can imagine they would see that as a potential detractor for their upcoming release (that their people have been slowly hyping up, probably to increase their user base, which equals money).
    I'm not saying that will happen, or if they will even really care (one never knows what goes through their heads), but it could very well bring unwanted attention that we have been fortunate enough to avoid all these years. The potential repercussions are mentally staggering and sobering. That's, of course, worst case scenario, but a valid one nonetheless.

All that, because this dude wants to appease people's entitlement issues. Someone didn't do a risk analysis on this, methinks.

Tetronix and joeykraus19 like this.
  5. D0rant

D0rant Well-Known Member

Yes, doing a completely new fresh install or a zip of a game with the updated tracks and cars could be dangerous. If he only uploaded things like tracks, cars, etc. separately then it's something this community has been doing for years and iRacing hasn't done anything about it. It reminds me of the OWR05 mod fiasco, iRacing's problem wasn't the fact an IndyCar mod was made, the problem was that a free copy of the game was attached to it as well. A mod "addon" or a track "addon" to an existing game is not a crime. But illegally distributing a copy of a game is.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  6. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Well-Known Member

By modifying the game's files you would of course distribute because how else would the damn mod work.

Tetronix likes this.
  7. Saan Anguish

Saan Anguish Inflictor of Pain

I wasn't speaking about the guy in the video. I don't know a thing about the guy or what he does with tracks, etc. (but his video certainly makes it seem like that would be his intent). I was simply stating that I feel like that's the point when the line has been crossed, and it's disrespectful to the people who put in their time and effort in making these tracks.

8. TColeman12

TColeman12 #BMR19Team

Hold up, that doesn’t even sound like something Steelman would say .... and anyways, that doesn’t relate to the topic at hand.

It has been said so many times already but for someone to demand that a private edit be released is just selfish and greedy like many others have said. It’s a common life lesson that you don’t get everything you want, and people like NewWorld are just gonna come to have to face it. It’s the facts... and even if he knows a track maker isn’t gonna sue him, he knows it’s wrong to be releasing their content without their permission.

But honestly, the real point is...

We play a 15 year old racing game, what is the point of him arguing over it, just because people don’t want to release their own tracks/creations? We’re here to have fun, not cause disputes or call out track makers and game modders. If someone wants to keep their work to themselves, that right should not be obstructed.

Tetronix and dalejr88rox like this.
  9. thefaeway

thefaeway Well-Known Member

Right, you only see two sides, like most people. Where is the, "I agree with everything you are saying about this loser but he exists specifically because of the hypocrisy and toxicity of this community" group? Oh yeah, I forgot, no matter how much someone agrees with community "VIPs" they are still lumped in with the losers if they want to point out discrepancies or call community a "VIP" out on their bullshit. That's the toxicity right there, along with "your track/mod/paint is shit and I'm not even going to waste time trying to say why, it's just shit, so fuck off" which exists here in this forum and has for years. Then you try to blame people like this loser for making people quit.

heh. It's not assholes like him.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  10. bluedevil21

bluedevil21 Well-Known Member

About the SRA branding on some tracks. FWIW those tracks was actually made by JRock himself and named that way himself, cause at the time he was working hand and hand with a few other guys on making up to date tracks for a SRA series to run. Those tracks was done by him not renamed and used by a place. As a matter of fact he still host those tracks on his site and are there for the public to use. http://www.splinedesignstudios.com/SDS_main/SDS_main/SRA/downloads.htm
    Idk if Jrock has a account here but, he would tell everyone those was his tracks they wasnt redone by "SRA"

11. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

thefaeway likes this.
  12. Joro88

Joro88 Member

For any of you interested, he is currently live on YouTube right now.

13. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

The stream is over and here's the video:

14. David Robb

David Robb Well-Known Member

Based on his stream just now, I feel he still can't articulate his thoughts very well, and things also got lost in translation at some point, where he'd say one good thing and then say something a bit abrasive the next. There's also the whole legality issue that kept being brought up, but I felt after a certain point that was irrelevant and the whole stream got muddled as a result. Lost direction. I feel what we're really looking for here is basically just a more collaborative effort on things and consideration for respect of the content creators.
    One issue I was trying to get addressed during the stream in the comments was what if you couldn't contact the original creator? I know not even a year or so ago that trying to contact the creator was rather difficult, in part because most newcomers don't know the names of these creators and some don't have the means to, which is why I find agreement in that credit should be enough. You may want people to ask permission, but some may not have the ability or means to do so, so credit would have to be enough.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  15. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

I'm going to change some or all the mips in Splash n Go's latest cup mod. I'm going to rebrand it with the SRD logo and release it as the newest version of the cup mod which you can download here. I'll of course give credit to Splash n Go for their efforts.

16. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. So when are you going to release it? Lol

17. halfwayglad

halfwayglad Well-Known Member

Software engineering has largely solved this issue. When you release a piece of software you attach a license that tells others what you can and cannot do with the code, or in this case, the track. It includes three basic pieces of information:

- Author Name(s)
    - Modification and distribution requirements
    - Documentation/Notes (optional)

I'd argue that tracks are software and should be treated the same. Nr2003 tracks should come with a boilerplate agreement. I'll even volunteer to create the template. It's up to community members to respect what the agreement stipulates.

18. RacerXero84

So I saw (also have) some of the tracks he was talking about releasing.
    While most of them are different geometry-wise, they are also either broken/WIP (as the case is with 2018 ISM), or heavily outdated in terms of textures and MIPS, and the AI would need to be overhauled for them to be up to snuff for todays standards......

EDIT: Going back and checking them, I would be willing to say improved/modernized versions of almost every single one is available either through Spline Designs data dump of SRA tracks, NR Track designs, and/or independent crews like Torch or the BB tracks and such (like the Chicagoland BB and Homestead BB tracks, as well as the Richmond one being worked on currently). While this doesn't change my standpoint on the matter, it's worth noting that his push to release these tracks would have really had zero impact on the community in terms of his claims to wanting all updated tracks out there.

Unless he has some stockpile of brand new tracks nobody has even glimpsed yet, the aforementioned crews have pushed new boundaries in track design, and anything older will not hold up in comparison.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    joeykraus19 likes this.
  19. RacerXero84

Now that I am thinking of it too.... what up to date tracks HAVEN'T been released, which would give his claim some validity....?
    Roval is a WIP at NR Track Designs, who also handled Texas, Watkins Glen.
    The data dump of SRA tracks have Bristol in both day and night, as well as Kentucky and a few others.
    Daytona, Atlanta, and Vegas were done by Torch.
    Chicagoland, Homestead, and soon Richmond were handled by people here.
    Pocono has been updated, as has Michigan, California, and Talladega; Sonoma is fairly up to date AND has a night version.
    Dover is up to date WITH a night version. Charlotte IMO needs some minor updates, but there are several versions that are relatively up to date for the oval side.
    Heck, we even got 'up to date' versions of Wilkesboro and Rockingham.
    Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is an updated Martinsville, but there is a couple for the spring race, they just need to be converted to night tracks for the fall race.

Sooooo..... I kind of fail to see the problem he is speaking of. Updated tracks HAVE been released, just because we have to go to a couple different places it's a problem....? All the released tracks that I just mentioned are QUALITY work, and are a lot of fun to drive.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  20. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

This is kinda why I started using more fictional and not so popular real life tracks.

Gone are the days of having crews like SBP and RR where we had every track updated top the current race/year

Edit: @RacerXero84 I have never even heard of any of those names you mentioned other than NR Track Designs. I must be out of touch or those groups are the ones who keep to themselves

It's also a shame that WCK called it quits over this because he put out some really great work