1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

What's your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Sep 19, 2018.

1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I just don't get it I guess. A couple different groups put in time and effort to make these tracks, so doing a little leg work to get em, that shouldn't be an issue.
    And maybe it's just me, but in terms of updating, the only thing I care about are the layout, the quality of work, and the current series logos. I don't need or much care if the 3rd logo from the 4th pit stall is accurate to 2018 standards lol It's a blur most times since I'm busy racing.....

joeykraus19 likes this.
  2. RacerXero84

Spline Designs is made up of the SBP crew, they did many of the SRA tracks, and have since went public with them a little while back, which included a completely rebuilt and up to date set of Bristols.
    Torch-1 is over at Stunod (TE tracks: Atlanta, Vegas, and Daytona).
    Then you have the guy(s) working the BB style tracks, here, there's the Richmond thread as being their most recent work (Chicagoland, Homestead being previous works).

So 3 places to go to get all updated Cup tracks (4 with NR Track Designs).

And I don't think John is done for good. But yes, he made some amazing local tracks, and I was hoping he'd get around to working on some of the amazing dirt tracks down here in the Carolinas.

3. J.R.Franklin

J.R.Franklin Well-Known Member

A few of those SRA tracks are just SDT tracks rebranded to SRA. (Kentucky, Charlotte Night and Martinsville that I can remember off the top of my head). Not exactly sure what, if anything, they did to them, but they never asked either Ian or me for permission to edit them and post them as their own. Just sayin'. Las Vegas is just the track that Denis Rioux made with SRA billboards as far as I can notice. Pretty sure they didn't seek permission to edit it from him either.

And I find it interesting that SDT and PST is rarely ever mentioned as track builders that have made significant track contributions over the years to this sim community.

Tetronix, bowtie, InsideLine and 4 others like this.
  4. RacerXero84

My apologies, I was going strictly from where they were posted/found, and Cup track makers actively pushing new tracks/updated.

SDT/PST lately, if I am not mistaken, are pushing out more of the local asphalt circuits, like Myrtle Beach (most recently), and while I do know there are a plethora of SDT tagged cup tracks, I don't recall SDT pushing out a cup track in recent months, not since 2013 if I am right.... again, going completely off memory and really not trying to downplay your contributions at all (hard to convey meaning with simple text).
    Also worth mentioning, since it was brought up, that of those tracks that this kid was referencing releasing, I believe a few had SDT either in the track title or SDT assets within them (EDIT: Kentucky_2013_SDT_FTF was one, the rest are VSR, which I am not familiar with, I assume that's a league tag).

The version of Marty that I have and use I believe is APT's, Vegas from Torch (not the SRA one). Pretty sure I watched those Spline Design guys MAKE Bristol from the ground up, and the layout is not like any other version of Bristol I have raced on in the past. But you may well (and are likely) correct about the others, of that, I don't know, as I'm not THAT well connected in the track maker groups.... I just do occasional beta testing for AI and graphic inconsistencies.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  5. RacerXero84

Also.... the kid DID mention Smiffsden BY NAME in that last almost-2 hour long video he just did, pointing to that group as part of the reason for his meltdown the video prior. I believe there was a list of tracks used in the V8 Thunder league, and I personally recall seeing updated track tag names for tracks over a year before they ever came out (Kentucky comes to mind). Not justifying his position, just annotating what he said with what I saw. I'm sure there was a reason not to, and nobody is owed an explanation certainly. Those are your tracks to do with as you please.

Again, I might be wrong (might be SBP), going off a pretty bad memory (thanks TBI....)

joeykraus19 likes this.
  6. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

All of my mods I've ever made for NR2003 come with a readme file, even on the download button page there has been for years an agreement/terms section too. No one listens to or even reads that when their goal is to blindly rip/reupload. They still do it and just disregard the txt file that was included in the mod unfortunately.

The only way they will see any consequence of their actions is seeing tracks being made that they badly want to race on only being shared with the respectable community members in NR2003. They might then realize the gravity of their disregard for ignoring terms on downloads when they all of the sudden lose access to future content while those who respected the wishes of the creators get to keep having the new stuff.

This isn't a bending over backwards for all the "great and mighty NR2003 creators" no, if I myself download something I too am just as responsible for respecting the terms and conditions of someone who just made their first mod and not be a jerk re-uploading or 'fixing' their mod and uploading it without permission. I too need to read the readme file or agreement.txt file if I plan to do something with the mod that deals with it being publicly edited/reuploaded. I don't really ever end up having to worry about this though since I make 99% of my own content. I can only remember the one 3do I needed to ask permission to use in my own tracks that was not mine was the whelen pit lights 3do's which I was given permission and even stated it in the readme.

In the end, the problem is not the rules, it is those who simply believe there are no rules and no matter what you say you can or cannot be do with your files they don't care sadly and think once their download has completed its free reign to edit publicly. I understand some modders or mods believe in the sharing everything and being able to edit each other's stuff without permission (the cathedral method) but we are past that happy era. Communities for games have become much larger, making mods for games is more complex, and copyright laws still exist so everyone expected to believe in some old ancient way of modding is simply not possible.

7. David Robb

David Robb Well-Known Member

Fictional and silly tracks are awesome. At least with those an effort to be respectful and consideration should be priority when it comes to sharing them. They are great works of art and should be treated as such. Sad that many were lost as numerous sites shut down over the past few years.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  8. David Robb

David Robb Well-Known Member

I agree, I stepped out of line here and I apologize for it. I shouldn't have let my past frustrations get involved and that was my mistake.

9. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

I'm half tempted to churn out the laziest and worst track ever made and name it after him.

10. RacerXero84

Do it.

11. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I don't want to be the one to start something here but you could make
    Track of Shame. Where every billboard has names of users who disregard copyright and/or have stolen work or caused community violations.

I take no credit for this idea, do not want to be the one responsible for creating drama in the community. Just a funny idea I thought of is all.

12. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Go ahead. I'm already rebranding everyones shit to SRD after I change a mip or two,lol.

13. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

14. RacerXero84

I guess I won't.... cause the damn thing don't even work lmao

All joking aside Matt... I really think there should be an SRD Speedway. Jus'sayin'.

15. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

Odd it loaded for me but only in testing as there are no AI. Also I already deleted the thing from my hard drive lol.

16. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

My one complaint about the whole thing is that I'm bummed so many in the community have let one annoying dude ruin the fun for everyone. It is your right, and I will respect, but I can't help that humanity is made up of a lot of assholes, and whenever good people let bad people get to them, it is a dark day for everyone.

InsideLine likes this.
  17. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I'm not super active on these boards as I once was. Was a different time for me, but these boards were a big influence in my adolescence. I'm 23 now so my adult life is at that point where I've finished college and am just trying to find a decent sports journalism job, or something in public relations. There that's my update if anyone wondered (doubt anyone did).
    I saw John Norton was calling it quits in his closed Facebook group, then saw the video on Reddit and now I've discovered this thread and I wanted to offer my thoughts real quick.

Back in 2008 when I really joined the community I was taught the rules of how all this sustained itself. Creation was encouraged, sharing when applicable was encouraged, and one was expected to give credits. If you pained a car, you gave credits to where you got anything you didn't use yourself. Pretty simple.
    I messed up a lot back then and probably did a bunch of stupid stuff like try to make an Oldsmobile Alero template out of a Nisbet COT template and then put it on a website as it was my own. Granted, I was 13 then.
    I was quickly taught that I can't do that. So I deleted the (poorly made) template and moved on.

I think when I was dabbling in track creation, I learned just how hard it is to make one of these things. I think I spent multiple summer days/nights working on my fictional creations trying to get them perfect. I'd constantly try and figure out how to lay .lp files, but could never get it to work. I'd ask someone I trusted to lay them for me or teach me how to do them.

While these tracks I made are unreleased, I have no plans to ever release them. I'm my own biggest critic. There's hundreds of gigabytes of stuff I've been working on in my free time the last five years. I have no desire to release them as I don't think they're good enough for the community/are made specifically for my own enjoyment. In this case, I have modified many tracks for realistic open wheel AI. Again, this is just for my own enjoyment and won't release them.

My issue with what this guy is doing is he's going on camera smoking and yelling like he's trying to be CopperCab or something (oh goodness). He's acting like an entitled, dare I say it, prick. If you didn't make it, you have no right to release it. There are exceptions in my belief. In cases where sites have closed and their creators gone from the community never to be heard from again, there should be some kind of archive to preserve the creations of past community members. In this case, he's basically saying "I am entitled to your work and if you don't like it, tough". You can't go and edit tracks without permission. If you think you can do better, THEN JUST DO BETTER. If the creator doesn't give you permission to update their work, then you can't release it!

It's always been an issue of respect for me. You don't have to like the person who made it, but you do have to respect the time and effort they put in to the product. You have to respect their wishes. If you make something, then by all means you can release it as an open source product. But you can't do that if someone else made it.

That's my take on the issue.

ChadVSO, Joro88, 4WideRacing and 12 others like this.
  18. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Well I'll be damned. How the hell are you @Frigus5 ? It's been a while! It's so funny seeing guys like yourself come back here, or if I see someone like Jay @flyersfan4888 on Facebook all grown up compared to when you guys were wreaking havoc all over my boards.
    It's nice to see honestly. Glad to see you're doing well. Take care if I don't see you around much anymore.

4WideRacing likes this.