Wheels and NR2003

Discussion in 'NR2003 - PC Support and Troubleshooting' started by RacerXero84, Dec 3, 2016.

1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Grease Monkey

Alright. I've watched videos, I've toyed with the settings. And yet, I'm still hack-sawing the wheel almost constantly. Obviously I get that making it feel as solid as iRacing isn't feasible without serious edits, but is there someone here that could help me get it so I can drive the game without working the wheel like I have two flats? I feel like I'm forced to use a controller to obtain the level of control I feel comfortable with (I can more or less point the car in the turn and, with proper throttle control, can hold the line without much input change in steering, not so with a wheel)

I'm currently running a Logitech G920 wheel.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. fortine_oo

fortine_oo Well-Known Member

You didn't say what type(s) of track you encounter this condition, so specific advice is impossible.

As long as the wheel is set up with linear properties, i.e. no deadzones or artificial sensitivities, I suspect the problem is primarily due to the car setup and your driving (i.e. way to aggressive).

1) In most instances, you have to ease onto the throttle rather than just mashing it.
    2) Increasing caster makes the car more stable (and increases steering/road-friction feel with forcefeedback enabled). Having more road feel helps interpret the grip level.

Other than that, setup is track (and track.ini track grip values) dependent.

3. RacerXero84

Fair enough, I'll go through a few tracks tomorrow and test that. Perhaps the setup I can win with on the controller would not work on a wheel...

4. MattyO

MattyO Retired

Are you using drivers aids or not? Turn them off if you have them on.
    And start with the expert or fast setup. Those are a good baseline setup to customize. Sawing the wheel isn't such a bad thing coming off the turns. Loose is fast. But, if you are doing it constantly, you might be overdriving the turns.

5. RacerXero84

I never used driver aides, controller or not. I still have to check this out and maybe adjust my driving style. The part that gets me is that I'm aggressive on the controller, but the car does fine. Same move attempted on the wheel results in a wreck.

6. fortine_oo

fortine_oo Well-Known Member

Reasons a controller may react differently than a wheel - the values used may be better suited to a controller:

setup related:
    steering ratio (for a wheel - high value for ovals (25-32), low value for RC (12-15)
    gearing (maybe)

controller options related:
    strength (high value for a wheel)
    dampening (low value for a wheel)
    latency (zero for a wheel)

driving aids (categories selected)
    usually helpful to smooth out the On/Off nature of controller buttons
    limits maximum performance with a wheel

"advanced" controller options
    Any percentage greater than zero will slow and/or reduce the response to input, except steering linearity - where any percentage less than 100 will reduce the response to input.
    Because of the On/Off nature of controller buttons, limiting the response to input is beneficial for a controller, whereas a wheel will be more precise when the action (from the wheel or pedals) produces an immediate response.

RacerXero84, TColeman12 and MattyO like this.
  7. MattyO

MattyO Retired

Good info. Lots of stuff I forgot about there to get the right feel for your wheel before even attempting making a setup.

8. TColeman12

TColeman12 UNLOAD THE DISHES Moderator

For me @RacerXero84, when I use my G27, I'm completely able to keep my line and not have to turn the wheel really hard, but with a controller, the sticks and the d-pad are so sensitive, I can't even use the controller and my input momentum is at the default 0%. So it's completely the opposite for me. I don't mess with the wheel settings as I like how it feels default lol. Nice info there though @fortine_oo

9. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Well-Known Member

I can relate to this issue. Having just re installed NR2003 after a 3 year LOA, I find I am having to re learn
    how to drive. I also struggled with settings on my G27 wheel. I think I have it now or very close as I can make laps without spinning out...at least when I don! t go crazy with the throttle. I did find some good pointers on
    wheel setup on youtube.