1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Where were you, 9/11/2001?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by mtblillie, Sep 11, 2019.

1. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

First off, this can sometimes be a touchy subject, so it mods/owners like @MattSRD28, @MattyO or @Thunder98 need to shut this down, I totally understand.

I know these have been up before but it has been a few years, so I thought I would rekindle it. Some of you may not think too much about it, some others probably don't want to rehash something that happened nearly two decades ago now, and that's fine. But for me this is one of the big reasons why I chose to get into emergency services, and I feel it is a time when people weren't so hateful and divided like it seems like people are now. Those of you that were old enough back then to remember, what were you up to when you heard what was happening?

USSTalladega and MattyO like this.
  2. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

9/11 is my earliest memory. I was about a year and three months old, back when I still lived in Canada. It's a very short memory but, I can vividly remember sitting on the couch when all of a sudden my mom gets up and starts yelling and screaming. She called my dad at work and told him what happened. To this day I've only heard that much emotion in my mom's voice one other time, which was when her dad died a few years ago while we were on vacation in LA. That memory alone really puts it into perspective for me, especially because we weren't even considering living in America at the time.

Tetronix likes this.
  3. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I wasn't even four years old yet, I have no memories of the event itself but looking at a calendar it was a Tuesday so odds are I was at my grandma Nancy's house.

4. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

I was 6, at elementary school, in Manhattan. My mom couldn't pick me up because all the bridges and tunnels were closed (she worked in Nassau County at the time) so I went 4-5 hours in computer class as kids were getting picked up, staring at the towers and eventually just what had remained of them.

My strongest memory is how awful it smelled for a few weeks.

5. SebaXRuiz

SebaXRuiz 6 Time SRD Pick'em race winner

I was 9 years old, at elementary school, in Bogotá Colombia. I was at recess when I saw the teachers who were watching on television in the English classroom as everything happened. When I returned home I saw that the two buildings had fallen completely, it was terrible. As a Colombian who has seen many events in my country and in the rest of the world for years, I never saw anything as impressive as that day of Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

6. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder "I can shotgun a White Claw."

I was six, less than a month into first grade (back when schools around here didn't start until late August). I don't remember if we went into a lockdown or not. Anyways, kids started getting called to the office for their parents' arrival to pick them up. My mom (who at the time worked morning shifts) picked me up pretty early in the day. She told me that the trade center had been attacked, and fat fucking foamer me thought she said "train towers" and I went in full meltdown mode lol. Other than that, I don't remember much else from that day. But I do remember a few days later, either Friday or Monday... Right after I got off the bus, I went to the horse barn, where my mom was. As we were walking back to the house, the first plane we had seen since that day flew over us, and we just stood there, watching it at (assuming) 40,000 feet, just cruising along. I don't know why that's what I remember, but that's what I remember.

7. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

I too was only six years old and less than a month into first grade. Unfortunately, that's all I remember.

theusar likes this.
  8. TheOutlaw1272

TheOutlaw1272 No, you're breathtaking.

I was 22 months old at the time, so I don't have any recollection at all. But I can definitely imagine how devastated my family was when news broke out. If there's one fact that would help me sleep better at night, it's that how after the tragedy, the aftermath is how America was united like it was never united before, and we showed the world that despite a huge act of terror, we're extremely resilient.

9. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

Since I'm the old man around here, I was watching the morning show on CNN, when they broke in a commercial to announce a plane accidently hit WTC. Then I saw the 2nd plane go in and I knew in an instant it was no accident. My wife was at work and I called her, and all their staff went into their conference room to watch it. We watched CNN off and on for 4 days straight.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  10. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread

I was 6 years old, and my mom woke my brother and I up because she wanted us to see what was going on. The first tower had already fallen by the time we got up (we live in California) and it was just a weird moment because 6 year old me had never heard of the towers. I don't really remember how I reacted, I was more in just a state of awe. We ended up being late to school and I just remember getting to my classroom and everybody was watching. I think the 2nd tower fell on our way to school

11. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

I was in kindergarten at the time, I was only 5 years old. the teacher I had had one of our local news stations on seeing if an announcement would be made for schools to close nationwide, and the news station kept replaying clips of the incidents over and over again. That's all i remember of that day, other than I think both towers had already fallen by the time the school I was at shut down and had everyone be picked up by their parents.

12. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

I was three years old when this tragic event happened. Me and my family were in what used to be my Granny’s house (which we were also living in at the time), and my Dad and I were playing with the Walmart diecast truck that we had gotten him for his birthday a month before (my Dad used to be a manager at Walmart - hence the reason for the truck). While I don’t remember seeing the planes crash or the buildings fall, I do remember seeing my Mom, Dad, and Granny watching the news and hearing them talking about what was going on. I think I was really too young to know what was happening.

13. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I was also 6 years old and didn't hear anything about the news until I got home from school that day. My brother and I got off the bus and came in the front door, and my mother was there immediately... She started talking about how she needed to go out somewhere and so we were going with her, since my dad wasn't home yet. As far as I'm aware, that had nothing at all to do with the attack, but the part I remember most was what her voice sounded like. She was obviously very distressed. I don't remember where we were going or when she actually broke the news to us, and maybe it's because I was too young to fully grasp the gravity of what had actually happened, but for some reason it was just the way she was talking that stands out to me all these years later.

14. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

You guys are making me feel old, I had just turned 17 a couple months earlier and it was only like the 3rd or 4th week of my Junior year in HS. I got up in the morning, and turned on the local music station to listen to the morning show while I got ready for school. I lived in San Francisco area at the time so it was like maybe between 6:30 and 7am local time. Of coarse they were talking on the radio about how a plane had crashed into a building in New York, but at that time it was still thought to be a smaller plane and just an accident.

I told my mom about it, who turned on the tv and started flipping to the news while I jumped in the shower. When I got out she said a second plane had hit the other tower, and this was no accident. I walked down to the bus stop and of coarse everyone was talking about it. We listened on the radio all the way to school while both towers fell. Some of the classes we just sat and watched the news, some we did classwork with the news in the background, one teacher refused to turn on the news (he was already known for being a jerk). I don't think many kids went home, and the school stayed open. There was concern that areas of San Francisco might also be hit, such as the Golden Gate bridge.

I often flew between SF and New Mexico where I live now to see my dad, and saw all the changes in the airport, including the National Guard with M16s, and the gradual changes in security procedures that are common now. Not long after of coarse the war in Afghanistan began, and we watched on the news in class the invasion of Iraq my senior year. Because my classmates and I were at the end of high school, many joined the military specifically because of 9/11. One of them, Angelo Zawaydeh, was struck directly by a mortar. The mortar penetrated his body but did not explode, saving the lives of the soldiers around him. He was decorated for this posthumously, even though it was not intentional (as is often military tradition when a serviceman is killed).

For myself I decided I wanted to join the Air Force and become a pararescueman. I didn't mind having to go into combat, but what I really wanted to do was help people more than hurt them. While I finished HS, I joined the Civil Air Patrol and began working on the requirements for enlistment, but by the time I graduated I realized the military probably wasn't for me. I would have done my duty and been fine with it, but I would have had to do a job I didn't really want and work through the ranks for a 1/100 shot of being accepted into and passing the requirements for PJ school. So I decided instead to start a career in EMS, and I moved to New Mexico because my dad's side of the family (who I didn't get to see as often) live out here and because school is soooooo much cheaper out here.

15. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

I wasn't quite 11 months old yet, so obviously I remember none of it, but I just want to say how much I appreciate it when people offer their stories of that day. Obviously, I never want to experience something so dramatic and hope I never have to, but because I haven't, I have no way to fully comprehend or grasp the feelings of 9/11. The fact that people can remember even the slightest of details from that morning really help to put it into perspective.

theusar, Tetronix and dalejr88rox like this.
  16. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

From a Douglasville, GA elementary school, it was never really apparent anything was wrong for most of the school day. That, until shortly before dismissal our teacher returned to the classroom visibly shaken and told us to “ask your parents about what happened today.” Confused, several classmates questioned what she meant, but she just repeated that sentence and couldn’t bring herself to tell us what was going on. I don’t remember much else. Mom told me there had been a couple plane crashes and that I would see when they turned on the news at home. I remember people being on edge afterward, especially with the anthrax attacks and the plane that crashed in Queens not long after.

18 years later, here in Charleston, I learned that one of my regular framing customers was working at the Pentagon at the time of the attacks. In fact, she was in the section that was struck by the plane. Being within feet of the crash, she was somehow uninjured and incredibly lucky. As a retirement “gift” she was given this map of the crash site, along with the names of her coworkers, color coded to whether they were uninjured, injured, died, or were absent. Many in her section were absent that day. Reframing this piece made it all so much more real to me, that’s to say that being so young when it happened, there was always some sort of disconnect between my memory of the events that day, and their significance. But having met someone that went through it, humbling to say the least... 001C98E9-4787-49C9-960F-EA0233AC9F69.jpeg

USSTalladega, mtblillie and Tetronix like this.
  17. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

I was six years old. I remember nothing of that day (which is probably a good thing). I lived in SoCal, so it happened pretty early for us, likely none of my family were awake. School was probably cancelled, and I would assume I didn't comprehend the situation when my mom tried to explain it to me.

Its kinda weird in a way because I remember vividly the day Greg Moore was killed. Albeit, I was at the race track when that happened, so I saw that right before my eyes. 9/11 was pretty far removed from me in many respects. And I had family issues going on at the time (which I remember well as well), which obviously as a small child seemed more pressing and urgent. It likely just faded out of my mind at some point.

18. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Holy shit you guys are making me feel old!

I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing. I was 28 years old and was wiring condo's in 2 story building. Doing my usual, and listen to the radio.

Then news broke about a possible plane hitting one of the towers. Then news continued to break about this might not have been an accident and a possible hijacking and that there might be more planes hijacked. Then news broke about the 2nd plane hitting the other tower.

By that time my wife had called and was terrified. I told my boss I was leaving and meeting my wife at the house. He wasn't pleased, and I simply told him we are under attack, and you can go fuck yourself if you have a problem with me leaving.

My wife and I continued to watch what happened on TV. It was the most sad, angry and scared I've ever been in my life. Watching people throw themselves out of a burning building 100 stories up is an image that will stay with me the rest of my life.

As the days passed, it was the most Patriotic feeling I've ever had. You could feel it with every person living in this country too. We were all sad, and thankful that we loved one another and we were all on the same team. I remember American Flags flying all over neighborhoods, buildings, different countries etc...At the time and still is for me, the most beautiful colors I've ever seen. The Red,White and Blue. Strangely, that day made me realize how lucky I've got it living in a country like this.

So if someone asks me do I still love that flag and those colors and what they represent. I can always think back to that day when we were attacked, and my answer is very simple. You're God Damn right.

19. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

I was 14 in 8th grade at the time. The first tower had been hit right before I headed off to school. I remember being in at least the first two periods with everyone glued to the tv in each classroom but don't really remember the rest of the school day. I recall nothing but stun and shock though. Once the second tower got hit I knew it was all planned. From that moment I knew we(militarily speaking) were about to make a "house call" to someones home turf. Fortunately my dad had just retired from the Air Force earlier in the year so I knew I didn't have to worry about him being called up. And of course not long after this we(my school) had drills and prank calls like every freaking month it seemed for a while. For the next few years everytime we headed up to Vegas they had inspection stations on both sides of the Hoover dam that we had to go through. Everything certainly changed after that horrible day.