1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Why hard liquor and cigarettes can't sponsor a car anymore?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by HJimenez42, Jun 11, 2018.

1. HJimenez42

HJimenez42 Well-Known Member

I was watching some CART racing from 1999 - 2000 and I remembered that I loved Dario Franchitti's car with the sponsor of Kool cigarettes and Greg Moore being sponsored by Player's. I also remember Marlboro with Ferrari and West with McLaren-Mercedes.

Then I realized that I haven't seen a car sponsored by a tobacco company for years (Redman's and Longhorn in NASCAR were the last ones I think), and the same happened with hard liquor companies like Jack Daniel's, Jim Beam and Crown Royal.

So why both tobacco and liquor stopped sponsoring cars? I think both markets were really important during the 90's and 00's for the sport. Is there a chance to see a car sponsored with some of those named brands again?

theusar and joeykraus19 like this.
  2. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Tobacco advertising is incredibly restricted in the United States as of the signing of the The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act in 2009 by President Obama, so no, cigarettes will never return to a car. Even the tobacco brands themselves pushed for this legislation.

I'm probably wrong, but hard liquor restrictions were lifted by NASCAR in the early 2000s, I believe. It's just not been a sound marketing decision recently.

3. Chevellion

Chevellion SRD Cup League Director

Liquor advertising is heavily restricted in certain parts of the globe, but largely allowed in the US. While Jack Daniel's and NASCAR would seem like a match made in heaven, they left RCR in 2009 to sponsor V8 Supercars (until 2015).

Purely speculating at this point, but advertising high-proof alcohol on a car doesn't exactly send the best "don't drink and drive" message, especially on vehicles mimicking ones customers could purchase.

4. MWick4

MWick4 How is this a fair race? My crew chief is a Morty.

While I don't endorse smoking, cigarette companies used to have some of the best looking cars on track across multiple series

5. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

While I generally agree with this sentiment, Jimmy Spencer's Camel car was butt ugly lol

nascarfan9 and JeffJordan like this.
  6. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus!

I agree. I loved Penske's old Marlboro cars and, though it was simple, I also loved Kurt Busch's old Crown Royal car.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  7. MWick4

MWick4 How is this a fair race? My crew chief is a Morty.

Crown Royal cars were always beautiful, Kenseth's were my favorites

joeykraus19 and BrendonH12 like this.
  8. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus!

I love Kenseth, but I might have to fight you on that one. ;)

9. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

The year was 2005 btw. That's why Jim Bean and Jack Daniel's jumped to Cup