1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Will NASCAR races always have the invocation?

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by canadienhits, May 24, 2018.

1. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

With the NFL making a ruling today on players/coaches standing for the national anthem, I got to thinking: Would NASCAR keep the practice of the invocation being delivered in the pre-race ceremonies? Your thoughts?

2. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty silly to have a prerace prayer but I'm also of the belief that singing the national anthem before sporting events is completely unnecessary (for domestic events) so I'm likely in the minority on this one.

3. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I agree with both points honestly, I understand the military should be honored and that the military uses sports to feel more at home overseas, but honoring them before a sporting event by singing the national anthem just seems... odd to me. I personally think a quick "We honor our men and women serving our country overseas, as well as our veterans watching this broadcast" or something from the commentators would suffice. As for the prayers, I only really see that as a thing to wish the drivers and spectators safety, which given today's safety measures just doesn't seem necessary anymore.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    theusar likes this.
  4. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

There are a lot of people that think it's unneeded. There are a lot of people that think it is needed. So, keep it. Even if you don't believe in God, it doesn't hurt anything.

5. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Well-Known Member

Well obviously not. Jesus makes the races safer.

6. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

I think with the progression and changes in the country over the past 50 or so years, less people are of the same religion, and more people are not religious at all. I don't personally see an issue with a full invocation going away, especially if Nascar is trying to be more inclusive, and progress as a whole. I don't have an issue with someone wishing for the safety of the drivers and crews, and of course the military and troops. But a whole prayer I don't see a necessity.

As for the anthem... Drivers used to sit in their cars for the anthem, no? Same thing with athletes staying in the locker room before the coin flip. So just seems weird its suddenly this huge thing when a while ago the athletes didn't even stand out in the open. The protest intentions were not to disrespect the military, the flag, or the country. That has been stated over and over but the message was skewed over time. For the record, I'm not saying it's right or not right to be offended or feel however people want about it. Also, kneeling during the anthem was actually suggested by a retired Green Beret.

7. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Saying a prayer does not exclude people. If you can't watch NASCAR just because people express their faith for 30 seconds before a race, it doesn't sound too much like you're a fan of NASCAR anyway. Intolerance of Christianity isn't a thing though, just like minorities can't be racist, so what am I saying anyway.

8. burtonbraves

But if they stopped saying the prayer I'm pretty sure there would be an outrage, some Christians would feel excluded, and some would stop watching.

9. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Well-Known Member

The whole point is the sport, not the show. If you have to sell a show to sell your sport, it's not a sport.

theusar and EarnhardtFan like this.
  10. MrDude68

Standing for the anthem is a sign of patriotism and respect for our military and our country. Likewise, intentionally not standing is blatantly disrespectful. Every American knows that. Colin Kaepernick knew it from the outset, he knew he would get all kinds of attention, and that's why he did what he did. And then saying "I don't mean to be disrespectful," while continuing to do it as you are fully aware it's offending people, is ridiculous. There's no way around it. That whole movement was disrespectful, like it or not.

11. burtonbraves

Agree to disagree. His intentions were not to be disrespectful. His intentions were clear to what message he was trying to bring on.

12. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus!

Maybe it's because I am a Christian, but I think they should definitely keep the prayer and the national anthem. The prayer is something that makes NASCAR unique from other sports because, as far as I know, they're the only ones that say a prayer before their events. I don't even see the national anthem played for other sports except the Super Bowl, or when they had to play "highlights" of the NFL players not standing.

13. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

Colin Kaepernick was quiet about it at first, and was not asked about it until the third week that he did it. In the fourth week, he worked out an agreement with Nate Boyer (A former Green Beret) on how to show respect while bringing attention to the issues of police brutality and inequality.

14. MrDude68

Well, I don't agree with your statement that his intention wasn't to offend. The reason I disagree is because it's obvious to me that his intention was to raise awareness for his own cause by way of disrespecting the flag. Why else would he choose to sit during the anthem? He knew full well what he was doing. Of all things, this should be something that liberals and conservatives should be able to stand together on (pun very much intended). Yet here we are, we can't even come together on this. It's shameful.

USSTalladega and BrendonH12 like this.
  15. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

The national anthem is played or sung before every single baseball, basketball, football, hockey, fill in the blank game in America. NASCAR is one of the few sports that televises it for every event but it happens at all of them. I don't really understand why, we're the only country that does it (aside from maybe Canada) and it just seems so forced and unnecessary. Nothing wrong with patriotism and showing respect to the troops, but it just doesn't seem genuine. Not to mention that more often than not, it's performed horribly.

16. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus!

I thought other sports had it, but I just never see it. But it doesn’t matter how it’s performed; it’s still our national anthem, and we should stand out of respect for what our founding fathers and countless soldiers gave their lives for - our freedom! I don’t think you should force people to stand; I think that people should have enough common sense and respect that they would do it on their own. I like what the NFL policy says: if they don’t want to stand, they can stay their butts in the locker room! No true, freedom-loving American wants to see somebody disrespect their flag and what that flag stands for. /End rant

USSTalladega and MrDude68 like this.
  17. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Patriotism should not be forced, but it should be encouraged. A country who's citizens have no pride for, will fail. It cannot prevail if the people do not want it to.

18. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Well-Known Member

Remember that NASCAR started as a regional Southern sport. No matter how much 'shine you ran on Saturday night you always were in Church on Sunday morning. the invocation and the Anthem are a nod to the roots of NASCAR

19. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Do I Wanna Know?

This whole patriotism thing has gone way overboard in the last 15 years. Ever since 9/11, the USA has been hellbent on letting the world know about how great this country is.

Quit televising the anthem. I don't need some B-list celebrity to butcher the anthem yet again just so I can be reminded of how fantastic America is every week.

20. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Well-Known Member

I agree most Anthem singers are terrible. My must see Anthem every year...the MRO kids before the Bristol Night Race

ThatOneShredder likes this.