1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Will NASCAR races always have the invocation?

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by canadienhits, May 24, 2018.

1. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

If it's not broke, don't fix it...

USSTalladega, nj9703 and BrendonH12 like this.
  2. puckhogg11

puckhogg11 Well-Known Member

I thought they had the prayer and sang the Anthem so we could get a glimpse of the hot wives and girlfriends (WAGS)? Right? For the record I'm for the playing of the Anthem.

3. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Did anyone else find it kinda funny that (among others) the NFL is soooooo concerned about a player protesting/kneeling, such that, they make up an entire penalty for it, meanwhile nobody bats an eye at the player convicted of DUI, convicted of domestic abuse, or you know, actual offenses that should be punished.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, it doesn't really bother me that the anthem is played, and an invocation given. I'm personally not religious, others are. I'm of the mindset that it doesn't really interfere with my experience, so big deal. Plus, I enjoy the flyovers that usually accompany the anthem, especially the Thunderbirds for the Daytona 500.

theusar likes this.
  4. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I don't know, I feel like what a player does in his or her personal life, as long as it doesn't interfere with the game (like drugs for instance), should be none of the NFL's business. To me, if a team wants to keep a player who beats his wife, that reflects badly on that individual team, not the NFL. Therefore, the teams should be responsible for taking whatever actions they deem necessary in those instances. On one hand that might sound bad, but to me it makes sense. I just get tired because the NFL does end up playing mommy each year with players having personal issues.

USSTalladega and 4WideRacing like this.
  5. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

A veteran literally encouraged him to kneel.

6. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong #Pray4theSouth

A veteran! That's just it! One dumb one does not necessarily speak for all of them!

USSTalladega and puckhogg11 like this.
  7. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

^^^ yeah, people put too much stock in stuff like that. Folks, we are all going to have different feelings on the matter. Personally, I'm not very religious, and I often am not paying attention during the invocation. Does that mean I think it should be removed? Nah. It doesn't hurt me, and it is important to some people. Why take that away from them? "Because it isn't necessary to me" isn't really a good enough excuse, at least not for me. What really bothers me is people's general lack of respect for each other, and to me this falls under that. I can sit through a few minutes of prayer quietly so someone else can have their peace. It just seems like the right thing to do.

The anthem to me is the same way. It's not really forced patriotism if you aren't paying attention, or if you don't stand for the anthem if you don't want to. I don't really like when people don't pay their respect to it, but it is their right as an American and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it, so why get my drawers in a wad over it. At the end of the day life will go on. But, it is important to some people, so why nix it? Again, "it isn't important to you" isn't really a good enough reason. You have your right to your opinion, and to abstain, but the world doesn't revolve around you either. Let people who want it have their fun, just like the prayer.

I know not all agree, and that is fine, that is simply my take on the subject.

8. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmo the Great

I find all pre-race ceremonies that aren't pertinent to the race itself pretty silly, but I couldn't care less one way or the other, so long as I'm not chastised for not standing for the invocation or the anthem (which, so far, I haven't been, so that's good). Its a race, I want to see racing.

Sidenote #1: I would love to see how things like an invocation at sporting events affects the diversity of the fanbase and minority opinions of the sport. I've actually been thinking of doing a small project looking at that question as part of my graduate studies.

Sidenote #2: Its really interesting to see how much more attention the invocation and the anthem have been given on television over the past couple years. I just quick skimmed through a couple races from about 20 ish years ago and televising the on-track invocation and anthem was pretty much never done.

9. Darren Ingram

So this veteran is dumb just because you don’t agree with him?

Yeah, screw that dumb patriotic veteran, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s not like he served the country or anything.

:rolleyes:

10. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

How we got to this...well, ok...As a vet, in a family that entirely served in the Navy, we would expect for people (not just players/coaches) to stand during the national anthem/rendering the colors. For me, my Dad and Granddad (and uncles) had their casket under that very same flag. It's a sign of respect for them. They served to defend that flag and the country it represents. You know, I get it that because of that you have the RIGHT not to, but you SHOULD because they can't stand any longer, and in a lot of cases, they died defending your freedom.

As for the original topic, I would hope it continues, but I see it getting phased out. NASCAR is getting diverse and has to look at the whole rather than a few of us rednecks in this case.

USSTalladega and BrendonH12 like this.
  11. starscream24

starscream24 Captain of Unpopular Opinions.

Here's my whole take. And I know people won't like my opinion but oh well. Ain't here to please anyone. I do see the prayer eventually cut from invocation in the next 10 years. And I think it should. It's known fact people are becoming less religious. You don't really need it. The crews/drivers/families/whoever can always do that in private before the race. Given I'm an atheist I really could care less about it but I do respect other peoples believes. If it's still around by then, ok. Makes no difference on the racing (which is all I give a shit about).

Now I do believe the national anthem should stay. Granted I am the least patriotic person you will fucking meet. And I'm the 1st person to point the flaws in this country. Especially with the retarded monkey's running the fucking government. Don't even get me started on Captain Bone Spurs. BUT I only point out the flaws cause want this place better for everyone. ANYWAYS. I feel like every country should do the national anthem before it starts. It's a showing of national pride.

Now the whole fucking kneeling thing.

oh-boy-here-we-go-4489713.png
    You have the right to do it I don't give a fuck who says it is. IT'S NOT DISRESPECTFUL AT ALL. It falls under freedom of speech. There's at least reason why they do it cause there a clear problem of police brutality in this country. And it's there way of showing that they're sick of seeing it. It would be a whole story if they just sat there with there hat on and completely ignoring. I want to live in a country where you have the choice to do so and want to stand for the flag. Not to be forced to. You know. Like in those countries that I'm told to hate by the orange orangutan. I'm sorry for sounding blunt but that's how I've been feeling for these past years. I feel the "libtard" comments coming but I think I know you guys well enough to at least see where I'm coming from.

12. canadienhits

No worries from me...I'm a "moderate" Republican. I can see your points. Well written.

ThatOneShredder likes this.
  13. BrendonH12

Did I say that? No! He’s not dumb because I disagree with him; he’s dumb because he chooses to be. Look, I respect anyone who’s served and am thankful for that guy’s service, but if he tried to kneel while he was in the service, I don’t think he would have been in there too long. Also, if this guy believes that it’s OK to kneel, then I’m sorry, but he’s not a “patriotic” veteran.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    USSTalladega likes this.
  14. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

. I respectfully disagree with your last point. There are limited first amendment rights in the workplace. Your employer can limit your speech and even what you can say on social media and show you the door so fast it would make your head spin. As I see the problem it is the MSM stirring things up. Another example is no where in the Constitution does it say anything about the separation of church and state. It only says that Government can not force you to join a particular religion. But somehow it got morphed into the disaster we have today. Enough political junk from me. Biggest race weekend of the year...Let’s do it!
    There is no constitutional right to free speech in the workplace.
    "As a general rule, the First Amendment doesn't apply to the private workplace," said Daniel Schwartz, employment law partner at Shipman & Goodwin. Instead, the First Amendment prevents government, but not companies or individuals, from limiting free speech.

You can say whatever you want in a private workplace, Schwartz said, but you should "assume your employer might have something to say about it."

But some forms of employee speech are protected by the nation's labor laws.

"Employees have the right to talk about their wages, hours and working conditions," said Heather Bussing, a California labor attorney.

USSTalladega, MrDude68 and nj9703 like this.
  15. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

Nate Boyer has the right to define that for himself. He served.

16. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Well-Known Member

• Inappropriate Behavior (Borderline trolling)
    All this arguing over a silly song paired with a dyed piece of cloth that really has no meaning when you think about.

17. Darren Ingram

Remind me again how he’s dumb?

18. Saan Anguish

Saan Anguish Inflictor of Pain

I thinks it's because of the stigma of standing for the anthem = patriotism. I was taught in school from a very early age to respect the flag, stand for the pledge of allegiance/anthem, etc. My dad was Navy, and I always stood for and acknowledged the pledge and anthem because I was taught that it was a form of respect for our military.

I'm sure that carries on for a lot of people, which is why it's easy to strike nerves when there are people that refuse to stand for it on a national stage. I have no problem with Kap protesting police brutality. It's a real problem in our country and needs to be addressed. It's the manner in which he chose to express himself that causes the issues because for some people, it's a slap in the face to patriotism. To others (like the vet that encouraged it), it's a great way to take a stand because he's on a national stage. It will be seen, and spread like a wildfire - but, because of the stigma of patriotism and the anthem, the issue he tried to protest is getting blanketed by the fact that he did it during the anthem.

As far as pre-race prayer goes - that goes all the way down to the dirt tracks, and I think it's always going to be there. Not as a way to force religion on anyone, but just as a form of well-wishes for the drivers, spectators, tracks workers, etc.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  19. BrendonH12

Because he apparently believes that kneeling during the national anthem is a good idea. I'm not using circular reasoning, saying that he's dumb and wrong because I disagree with him. We live in a free country and he, as well as you or anyone else, have the right to disagree with me or believe whatever you want. But I want to make a statement, just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's right to do it. And as my pastor says, "You can disagree with me. It doesn't matter; I know I'm right." ;)

USSTalladega likes this.
  20. canadienhits

Er, my earlier post. That "dyed piece of cloth" represents a lot to people, especially when they die/get wounded defending the principles that is based on.

4WideRacing, MrDude68 and BrendonH12 like this.