12 - Menards/Sylvania Mustang - TAL1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
2 - Dent Wizard Mustang - TAL1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
The Fastest ¼ Mile in the Northeast gets the "Full Monty" PST treatment with this 2020 facelift!
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS20 Mustang Template 2048 x 2048 Update MattyO
Bigger rear decal (tail light decal)
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

"World's Largest HD Video Board" not full HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
A question to the masses. If you were out in the market for a new HDTV that's not a 3D HDTV, you'd at least make sure your selection was capable of displaying 1080p full HD, right?

Well, apparently Charlotte Motor Speedway doesn't not have such priorities in their pursuit of the "world's largest HD Video Board" as announced back in January.

Designed and created by Panasonic, the approximately 200-foot-wide and 80-foot-tall screen will be centered along the backstretch between Turns 2 and 3, across from the start/finish line. Fans seated throughout the frontstretch from Turn 4 to Turn 1 will have clear viewing angles of instant replays, leaderboard updates and interactive entertainment displayed in 720P high-definition visuals. The screen will be illuminated by more than nine million LED lamps during each NASCAR race event at Charlotte Motor Speedway this spring, including the May 21 NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race and the May 29 Coca-Cola 600.
So, Charlotte's going to brag & boast all day long about this video board, and it's not even full HD! Why not, Charlotte? You like having something to brag about. Why cut corners in a way that makes you look like a total phony? Yes 720p is technically HD, but thats the lowest possible resolution that can be called HD. They're proud of this? I wouldn't be. I'd be embarassed that my huge new TV wasn't anywhere close to the best that's been available for years now.

So I don't know about the rest of you, but whenever I hear Charlotte's boasting, I'm laughing at them. My 1080p HDTV has a better resolution than the "World's Largest Video Board" & I find that hilarious.

Last edited:

DBReaver35

May the 4 be in victory lane
SRD Member
Reaction score
Really? .....Really?

your beef a big damn tv at the speedway is not 1080p.... there has to be something better to rant about.

Btw The old record which new Cowboy stadium is 720p. These TV are sporting Events your not sitting right on them so that difference doesn't matter.

Last edited:

MattSRD28

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not ranting, I'm laughing.

Cowboys Stadium's is 720p as well? Wow. That's tragic.

The difference doesn't matter? Of course it matters, or 1080p wouldn't be the selling point in the TV market that it is. Every manufacturer will tell you that the larger the screen is, the more the resolution matters. So when they're touting the "World Largest Video Board" & it isn't full HD, that's called being cheap while hoping no one notices that you're being cheap. As a patron, it tells me that the facility won't go all out to ensure that they deliver the best experience possible. May not seem like a significant loss, but I'll point you in the direction of Auto Club Speedway as an example of "on the cheap" allowed to run wild.

I just found it funny that the "World Largest HD Video Board" isn't full HD.

Let me put it this way - that video board on Charlotte's backstretch can not display Blu-ray movies. I'm kinda curious of if it'll be able to display the HD race broadcast on FOX since I receive that in 1080i resolution. If Charlotte's local FOX affiliate broadcasts their FOX HD channel in 1080i, guess which World Largest Video Board won't be displaying it!

Oh, and just to give myself some context, I live 20 miles north of Hollywood. THE Hollywood. We tend to care about this a little bit more than other places. ;)

Last edited:

DBReaver35

SRD Member
Reaction score
in a tv you an I would buy for a house yes but you got to look at from Half a mile away in row 25 of Charlotte motorspeedway are you going to notice. not to mention the only time I look at the screens at a race is for a replay of the crash. After further reading most large screen are 720p because at the distance most view from it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Darrell Pace

Got a fresh set of Good Bye's on!
SRD Member
Reaction score
I see this as something that was not needed in the first place. If they would have added a couple more of the mobile screen attached to the trailers I feel that would have been better, instead of the eye sore they have now. But it doesn't really matter to me I don't look at the screens much anyways.

Hendrick4life

309 Wins | 16 Championships
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm not ranting, I'm laughing.

Cowboys Stadium's is 720p as well? Wow. That's tragic.

The difference doesn't matter? Of course it matters, or 1080p wouldn't be the selling point in the TV market that it is. Every manufacturer will tell you that the larger the screen is, the more the resolution matters. So when they're touting the "World Largest Video Board" & it isn't full HD, that's called being cheap while hoping no one notices that you're being cheap. As a patron, it tells me that the facility won't go all out to ensure that they deliver the best experience possible. May not seem like a significant loss, but I'll point you in the direction of Auto Club Speedway as an example of "on the cheap" allowed to run wild.

I just found it funny that the "World Largest HD Video Board" isn't full HD.

Let me put it this way - that video board on Charlotte's backstretch can not display Blu-ray movies. I'm kinda curious of if it'll be able to display the HD race broadcast on FOX since I receive that in 1080i resolution. If Charlotte's local FOX affiliate broadcasts their FOX HD channel in 1080i, guess which World Largest Video Board won't be displaying it!

Oh, and just to give myself some context, I live 20 miles north of Hollywood. THE Hollywood. We tend to care about this a little bit more than other places. ;)
Im going to step in here because your ranting about something I thought about when I read the article.

In essence yes. 720p doesn't make sense if your trying to have the biggest and baddest in the land. Okay here comes my rant. Blu-Ray movies are 720p and up. :google_it_noob: (never used that emoticon before, dont take it as an attack I know your no noob lol) Thats one thing you got wrong. 720p TV's and screens can display 1080p, it just wont be tru-HD because the TV itself isnt 1080p. One of the big reasons not many people care about 1080p is because there are so little programs out there that broadcast in 1080p.

You have 1080i which is in most cases a step down from 1080p. Once you get certain things on screen at different zoom views and angles your picture becomes a tad bit sketchy and unclear....unlike of course the 1080p version :p . In all honesty. Who cares what they do at THERE track, let them run it they way they want to. Atleast they have a HD screen at their track. Cant please everyone.

Corey Carpenter

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup, my TV rarely does 1080p HD. Half the programs are 1080i or 720p including all the NASCAR events that weekend. I don't get whats to rant/laugh about.

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Why would you need HD on a big screen While the real thing is right in front of you??? The purpose of HD is to provide the most real life picture, well hey, you can't get any more realistic than actually being there! Like posted above, most people watch that big screen for replays and not for the race because, newsflash, it's happening right in front of them!

Bgartz29

SRD Member
Reaction score
Why would you need HD on a big screen While the real thing is right in front of you??? The purpose of HD is to provide the most real life picture, well hey, you can't get any more realistic than actually being there! Like posted above, most people watch that big screen for replays and not for the race because, newsflash, it's happening right in front of them!
Nope real life isn't good enough anymore, now you can get HD sunglasses to give you the world in HD lol.

Numbers

SRD Member
Reaction score
i feel the same way.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
You guys with the hd channels make me laugh. I don't mean that in a bad way. Its just that I have been to all major retailers looking to replace my ten year old tv. A lot of them sell satellites. So I asked them about hd channels. 99% of them say don't waste your money. Because with the new high res tvs and digital tv channels you get almost hd any way. I have seen hd before all that I can tell is the picture is brighter.

As for the screens at tracks and ball parks. I just don't get it. That is one reason why I would rather save my money and watch them at home. If your going to sit there watching a tv just sit at home. The only place were screens should be are at road race tracks.

tjm14

SRD Member
Reaction score
Most sporting events are shot in 720p anyway. If shot in full 1080p, they wouldn't look as smooth as they do in 720p.

Hendrick4life

309 Wins | 16 Championships
SRD Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the track makers are going to replicate this in NR2003. lol.

Corey Carpenter

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have seen hd before all that I can tell is the picture is brighter.
Thats what I thought at first too. But with my TV during a NASCAR race.... there is a huge difference between regular fox and fox HD. It's so much clearer to me.

As for the screens at tracks and ball parks. I just don't get it. That is one reason why I would rather save my money and watch them at home. If your going to sit there watching a tv just sit at home. The only place were screens should be are at road race tracks.
I went to Charlotte from 2003 to 2010 for every race there and everytime something exciting happened and they showed the replay on the small sprint vision screen, I could barely see. The reason people would like screens is not so they can watch the race, they want to see replays of the cool stuff that they might of missed on track. I don't get what everyone's complaining about... I personally think it's very cool.

DBReaver35

SRD Member
Reaction score
Actually on 600 weekend if they open the track Early enough they can show the 500 which would be cool if they can every get someone to do the double again.

MattSRD28

Staff member
Reaction score
tipptruck said:
You guys with the hd channels make me laugh. I don't mean that in a bad way. Its just that I have been to all major retailers looking to replace my ten year old tv. A lot of them sell satellites. So I asked them about hd channels. 99% of them say don't waste your money. Because with the new high res tvs and digital tv channels you get almost hd any way. I have seen hd before all that I can tell is the picture is brighter.
Well, first off I'd say you're going to the wrong stores. The salesfolk should be doing all they can do so you won't leave without a new HDTV, and premium satellite subscription with as many HD channels as possible. Any less is a harm to the company they work for in potential lost sales.

I did almost the same thing about 6 months ago - replace a 10 year old TV with a new one, and the difference is mind-blowing. Especially when I flipped back & forth between a channel's SD & HD versions while at home. In fact, a recent truck race lost its HD feed for about 40 laps. SD looks like such crap by comparison. HD has larger aspect ratio, more more sharply defined details, and just looks so much better. As far as the money goes, the HD channels cost a whopping $5/month more, and the TV was maybe $200. That was it. The new HD dish & receivers were all provided to me free with contract. Personally I call that money well spent for what I'm seeing now compared to the frustrations of watching the 4:3 version of programs shot in 16:9, and compared to some of my friends who're stuck with Time Warner Cable paying much more than I'm paying.

As for whoever said Blu-ray's start at 720p, if you can show me a BD that's NOT in 1080p that you spent money on, I will point my finger and laugh at your foolishness. Any BD that's worth it's price point is 1080p.

Now as to what you all are saying about so few being shot in 1080p, most sports is in 720p, etc, yes that's all true. HOWEVER, that's going to change over time. HD broadcasting is still in its infancy compared to 50+ years of SD broadcasting. Eventually 720p will be the memory that 480p is. But more to my point, this is a bragging point for the track. A selling point, to take the sugar coating away. They built it so they'll sell more tickets. The fact that they built it to only handle 720p knowing that 1080i & 1080p already exist as superior resolutions, with the future NOT being 720p is hilarious to me. It makes the track management look like they don't know what they're building, and are just looking for the aforementioned selling point.

Last edited:

tjm14

SRD Member
Reaction score
Now as to what you all are saying about so few being shot in 1080p, most sports is in 720p, etc, yes that's all true. HOWEVER, that's going to change over time. HD broadcasting is still in its infancy compared to 50+ years of SD broadcasting. Eventually 720p will be the memory that 480p is. But more to my point, this is a bragging point for the track. A selling point, to take the sugar coating away. They built it so they'll sell more tickets. The fact that they built it to only handle 720p knowing that 1080i & 1080p already exist as superior resolutions, with the future NOT being 720p is hilarious to me. It makes the track management look like they don't know what they're building, and are just looking for the aforementioned selling point.
True. However, I'm pretty sure Bruton Smith knows what he's doing, and I'll let him be. ;)

JeffJordan

My name is no longer Jeff Jordan
SRD Member
Reaction score
Although this means little, I had to flip from 5 to 705 last Saturday because the feed was slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.