32 Corey LaJoie 2020 Superior Logistics Ford Mustang - MENS19
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Your favorite Silly Season rumors of days past

deathbyreputation

SRD Member
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite/most interesting Silly Season rumors that you can remember? I see, to recall a rumor about Wally Dallenbach and Larry McReynolds starting a Cup team around 2002. Pepsi was to be the sponsor, Dodge the manufacturer and #85 the number.

brt3

SRD Member
Reaction score
Dale Earnhardt to Ford. I think it was 94 or 95. A HUGE rumor was out there that Dale Earnhardt would drive for Robert Yates. I think the rumor got started because someone heard Robert Yates and Dale and assumed it was Earnhardt and it was actually Dale Jarrett.

crazyboy335

#50in07
Banned
Reaction score
When CART was on the brink of failure before the rebrand to Champ Car, Paul Tracy was reportedly going to drive for RCR in 2004.

deathbyreputation

SRD Member
Reaction score
I also heard a rumor that when Junior Johnson went back to 2 cars in '91, he wanted Rusty Wallace for the 11, and either Ricky Rudd or Alan Kulwicki for the 22. Either pairing would have made a deadly combination in the early '90s

labontefanboy

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite rumors that I've seen was the Buckshot Jones sponsorship hoax. Supposedly he was all set to have UPS sign on as his sponsor but he mailed the signed contract using FedEx and UPS bailed. It never actually happened but still gives me a good laugh whenever I hear it.

Thunder98

"Esteemed" Gen-Y Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Hermie Sadler was going to drive for The Rock in 2001 until Vince McMahon and the WWF legal team decided to put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Jayski said:
According to Hermie Sadler, he was all set to partner with WWF superstar Dwayne Johnson(The Rock), on a full time Winston Cup operation known as Rock Racing. But WWF owner/president Vince McMahon told Johnson that he wouldn't allow use of the name or likeness of The Rock character. Thus, the deal was nixed, and Sadler was forced to renege on prior plans to purchase equipment, cars, tools and even personnel from Joe Bessey Motorsports(NOL), see the past rumor/news on that at the #60 Team News and Links page. Being told from sources close to Sadler that he has not been contacted by the #48 BGN team as reported in the Buzz and that he is still looking for a ride(2-9-2001)

Brandon Thornton

Hero Card & Diecast Enthusiast
SRD Member
Reaction score
Bobby Labonte death rumor?

Didn't Hear This but - the false Labonte rumor UPDATE the response: NASCAR.com is reporting - All rumors that NASCAR Winston Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte was injured Friday in a crash -- be it plane or on the track -- are completely untrue. An ABC affiliate out of Nashville, TN(WKRN-2), incorrectly reported Friday morning that Labonte was injured in a plane crash Friday morning en route to California Speedway AND False rumo Winston Cup Series practice started at 1:30pm/et, well after the story broke. False rumors also swirled throughout the East Coast that Labonte was hurt in a crash during practice. Oddly enough, Cup practice started at 1:30pm/et, well after the story broke. (NASCAR.com), see it's not always the Internet sites(4-27-2001)
UPDATE: Rumors of an accident involving 2000 NASCAR Winston Cup Series champion, Bobby Labonte, are completely false. Earlier today, reports of Labonte being involved in some sort of accident were being spread nationwide and being talked about in the garage area of the California Speedway where the NASCAR Winston Cup Series will be running the NAPA Auto Parts 500 this Sunday. In addition, the initial reports of these rumors, which were reported to the team through the track and other sources, were erroneously attributed to WKRN-Nashville. Unfortunately, before all of the facts could be verified and sifted through, WKRN was falsely attributed to something they had nothing to do with. “This is really bad, and strange, that’s for sure,” said Labonte. “It’s hard to believe a lot of stuff you read or might see on TV. It’s bad because of my family being back home, even though I just talked to them about 30 minutes before that. When there’s a rumor like that out there, and now it’s just so spread out it just becomes a big catastrophe and probably like a death threat, I guess you might say. So it’s pretty bad. When you listen to something next time you’ll wonder, is that true or not? I’m not sure. It makes you think you’ve really got to be on top of the game, everybody needs to be, to make sure they’ve got the right information before they say anything. When asked if he knew how it got started, Labonte responded, “No, I have no idea. We didn’t even have any close calls this morning (in practice) or last night getting here, so I have no idea.”(Joe Gibbs Racing PR/Site)(4-28-2001)

deathbyreputation

SRD Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite rumors that I've seen was the Buckshot Jones sponsorship hoax. Supposedly he was all set to have UPS sign on as his sponsor but he mailed the signed contract using FedEx and UPS bailed. It never actually happened but still gives me a good laugh whenever I hear it.
That was one of those wild 90s tales. That's why I wish I was around to have been a fan through the 90s. Anyone remember the rumor of someone running a solid-gold engine?

brt3

SRD Member
Reaction score
I also heard a rumor that when Junior Johnson went back to 2 cars in '91, he wanted Rusty Wallace for the 11, and either Ricky Rudd or Alan Kulwicki for the 22. Either pairing would have made a deadly combination in the early '90s
Kulwicki was offered the #11 but turned it down

nascarfan9

Category 5 Punicane.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Brendan Poole to the #27 in 2018.
But really it was *Insert any driver* to the #27 in 2018. :p

My favorite was when people were freaking out on whether Chad Knaus and Jimmie Johnson would remain paired up because they hadn't re-signed yet.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
You guys remember when the Orange Cone said he had an announcement that would shake the NASCAR community and it was all bullshit?

I also remember hearing a rumor that Kenny Wallace was gonna drive the 88 for Yates in 2008 when Ricky Rudd got hurt

brt3

SRD Member
Reaction score
You guys remember when the Orange Cone said he had an announcement that would shake the NASCAR community and it was all bullshit?

I also remember hearing a rumor that Kenny Wallace was gonna drive the 88 for Yates in 2008 when Ricky Rudd got hurt
Kenny Wallace did drive the #28 didn’t he? Or am I just dreaming that?